Tottenham 1961 0 0%
River Plate 1940's 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Football poll- Best 10 club teams in history:

Hello everyone.
I would like you to select the best 10 club teams in history of Football. try to select exactlly 10. later I will pick my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Not much of a poll, you've missed out Manchester United - pre 1958 Munich air dissaster team, 1968 European cup winners, 1999 European cup winners, 2008 European cup winners

Archie
post #3 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Ugh....I got excited...but was then immediately shot down. I saw football

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Ugh....I got excited...but was then immediately shot down. I saw football
Yes, it was invented in England and it is called FOOTBALL, not soccer. What you class as football (NFL) is not football, it is a girls version of Rugby, which was also invented in England, when the toffs at the public school in Rugby, Warwickshire decided to play a game with their hands using a squashed football.

Archie
post #5 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Also missing:

FC Twente
Heracles Almelo
our local club: Hengelose boys
and several others.

Also... footbals *bangs head against wall*

Motorsports 4 teh win !
post #6 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Also missing:

FC Twente
Heracles Almelo
our local club: Hengelose boys
and several others.

Also... footbals *bangs head against wall*

Motorsports 4 teh win !
Bas, is Steve McLaren still at FC Twente? I hope he is doing a better job than he did managing the England national team

Archie
post #7 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Bas, is Steve McLaren still at FC Twente? I hope he is doing a better job than he did managing the England national team
Personally, I'd have prefered Malcolm Maclaren, we could have had Johnny Rotten as our midfield dynamo (makes Roy Keene look tame), Sid Vicious as centre back, the Buffalo Girls could have gone 'round the outside' on the wings and to keep fit he could have got the whole team doing the 'Double Dutch'

..and the Vivian Westwood designed kits would have looked cool with zips, safety pins and rips on them

Archie
post #8 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Don't worry Chris, I first thought the same when I saw the title also. Except I saw the word club instead of team so I kinda figured it would be Soccer. The "club" Archie mentioned is the only one I've ever heard of so I'm assuming they are the best one. Popular worldwide. There's even a store in Singapore that only sells Man U stuff. Funny how soccer is supposed to be a non-contact sport and the fans get into huge fights in the stands.

Archie might be onto something. Maybe the Toffs were playing soccer and the ball somehow got deflated and they couldn't kick it. Rather than stopping the game one of them just grabbed it up and ran off with it towards the goal. Someone yelled, "Hey! You can't do that!" To which he replied, "Fuck off ya Twat! We're gonna win this game!" and kept running. The first guy yelled, "Oh! You've done it now! Let's get 'em lads! Stop him!" and a huge melee broke out. It was so fun they kept doing it every weekend.

Evidently a Yank must have seen it and asked what it was they were doing and the reply was, "That's how football is played in Rugby". So when he came back to the USA he introduced this new method of organized fighting involving one team trying to get a deflated ball to the other side of a field with the other team trying to do everything they can to stop this. It caught on and when someone asked what this new game was called the Yank said, "Well in England they call it football". They asked why it was called football and he replied, "I dunno. I guess it's because you have to try and knock whoever's got the ball off his feet." So there you go. That's how American Football was invented.

I imagine when a Brit came over to the USA and saw this odd game he asked what it was called and the reply was, "You mean you've never seen this? It comes from England and it's called football." The Brit replied, "That's not how you play football! Here, let me show you the proper way." He then took an inflated ball and proceeded to kick it around on the grass trying to avoid the other players. He got tackled by like 5 guys and got really mad and said, "No! You're not supposed to do that!" The Americans then looked at this sissy dancing around kicking a ball and said, "Umm. Well that sucks." The people that did play it became to be known as "Suckers" and over time the word got twisted and "Soccer" became part of the English language.

As for the uniforms, well of course in the USA we have laws designed to prevent idiots from injuring themselves and that's how the uniforms evolved. Probably a group of mothers formed and activist group to ban the game altogether because the husbands and sons were coming home after a Saturday afternoon drunk, with black eyes and missing teeth. But no one was willing to stop this popular game. So they said, "Well, at least give them a helmet so they don't hurt themselves." and that, just as with motorcycle helmets, became the rule. If you want to play, you have to wear this helmet. Over time the padding was added at the cry to prevent further injury. Friggin' safety nazis. I think the next generation of NFL uniforms will be equipped with airbags.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #9 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM

It's Health & Safety gone mad !!!
post #10 of 22 Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Haha, that is a beautiful rendition of the way that football came about Pete

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #11 of 22 Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Yet another inspired post from the Captain hehehehe good one, Pete!

And BTW, São Paulo is the best soccer team

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #12 of 22 Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Owner

Pete, American football isn't organised fighting, it's ballet dancing in comparison to Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, Rugby League and Ice Hockey.

Great reply though

Archie
post #13 of 22 Old 06-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think so. Does a pretty good job too. Twente came second in the dutch competition after AZ under Louis van Gaal.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Quote:
Pete, American football isn't organised fighting, it's ballet dancing in comparison to Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, Rugby League and Ice Hockey.

Great reply though

Black Lions MY VERY FAVORITE TEAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #15 of 22 Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I just saw that the American sucker team beat the #1 Spanish team. The article said the Spanish team hadn't lost a game since Nov. of 2006. If the Spanish hadn't lost a game in 2 1/2 years wouldn't that make them in the top 10? And if the Americans can beat them........

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 22 Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Pete, wait for the final game with Brazil or South Africa (they will play today, in a few hours) before you start bragging. The Spanish team is good but the Brazilian team is the best, the only one with 5 stars on it's shield

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #17 of 22 Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I just saw that the American sucker team beat the #1 Spanish team. The article said the Spanish team hadn't lost a game since Nov. of 2006. If the Spanish hadn't lost a game in 2 1/2 years wouldn't that make them in the top 10? And if the Americans can beat them........
The American sucker team are not too bad, over the years they have had some decent players, a lot of whom have played their domestic league football in the UK. There has always been a lot of money around to attract world class players at the twighlight of their career in to the US league - Pele, Klinnsman, Gullit, Beckham, Bobby Moore, George Best ..etc

The US normally qualify for the World Cup, so they can't be that bad. I also remember the US beating England on more than one occasion.

Archie
post #18 of 22 Old 06-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Pele and Beckham. Those are the only 2 soccer players in the world that I recognize by name. And the only reason I know Beckham is because he married Posh Spice. And when I was growing up Pele was like a superstar. I think I remember him from being on the cover of the Wheaties box or something (breakfast cereal).

Funny, of the only 2 soccer players in the world I can name. One is from the UK and the other is from Brazil. And I know them from playing for America.

That's the great thing about the USA. We've got the best of everything. If we don't already have the best we'll go out and buy it. One of the best basketball players in America is Chinese.

Capt. Pete
post #19 of 22 Old 06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Actually I can't wait for the world cup, never miss it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #20 of 22 Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
That's the great thing about the USA. We've got the best of everything. If we don't already have the best we'll go out and buy it. One of the best basketball players in America is Chinese.
Yet ferrari is italian. Not that ferrari is the best... but to make a point it will do very nicely

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode