Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Dino Era: 206, 246 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dino-era-206-246/)
-   -   Hints on how to improve the running of your Dino (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dino-era-206-246/8809-hints-how-improve-running.html)

williamtaylor 12-01-2008 01:51 AM

Hints on how to improve the running of your Dino

Any suggestions on how to improve the running of your Dino?

Italian Lover 12-29-2008 01:08 PM

I'll start off first ...

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a newly developed ignition system (high tech, laser lights, etc.) for Dino to upgrade and make starting a natural, if anyone is interested. My local vintage Ferrari dealer friend developed this recently for his customers. The shop also has an A/C system custom fitted for Dino based on reliable Japanese unit sytem. I just thought some gearheads out there might be interested in these. If anyone's interested, let me know. w/ smiles Jimmy

Granucci 12-29-2008 01:14 PM

Doc, can you explain some of this, like laser lights ??

rik

Italian Lover 12-29-2008 01:29 PM

Sorry, Granucci. I am not a gearhead nor an expert. However, the brief encounter and explanation was that the unit is all solid state and high tech. Next time around when I visit the shop, I'll ask for more infos, hopefully then I can give you a better answer. w/ smiles Jimmy

Granucci 12-29-2008 01:42 PM

great: my tech is limited too.

Gcalo 12-29-2008 09:55 PM

That's a very clever setup.

I would guess the laser is a replacement for the ignition points. The Dino's used two sets of Magnetti Marelli ignition points and they were tricky to set and adjust. They opposed each other in the distributor. I know because I had a Dino and I used to use a flashlight battery and a flashlght bulb set-up on both sets to adjust them simultaneously.

So I think he's now replacing those with a laser.

Smart deal and probably well worth doing especially since these units are placed away from the engine heat.

Give your friend a gold star.

Italian Lover 12-29-2008 11:32 PM

Thanx for the tech info, Gcalo. That sounds like the brief explanation I heard. Thanx again for clearing it up. w/ smiles Jimmy

Gcalo 12-29-2008 11:41 PM

The one thing that car lacked was reliable ignition and it looks like your friend nailed it.

I have always felt that coils should be away from the engine heat and your friend proved my point.

Maybe you should post his contact info. That's a very valuable resource.

Have you put this setup in your car?

USADino 01-05-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gcalo (Post 83336)
That's a very clever setup.

I would guess the laser is a replacement for the ignition points. The Dino's used two sets of Magnetti Marelli ignition points and they were tricky to set and adjust. They opposed each other in the distributor. I know because I had a Dino and I used to use a flashlight battery and a flashlght bulb set-up on both sets to adjust them simultaneously.

So I think he's now replacing those with a laser.

Smart deal and probably well worth doing especially since these units are placed away from the engine heat.

Give your friend a gold star.

Exactly. The laser or solid state options serve to indicate spark ignition rather than send current over electrical contacts.
While I do not know the exact manufacturer of the system Jimmy-san has elegantly divulged, here is an explanation of a similar one.
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx