Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Dino Era: 206, 246 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dino-era-206-246/)
-   -   1969 Ferrari Dino 246GT Tipo L model #00508 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dino-era-206-246/8544-1969-ferrari-dino-246gt.html)

Italian Lover 11-01-2008 12:19 AM

1969 Ferrari Dino 246GT Tipo L model #00508

4 Attachment(s)
Understanding that Dino 246's a minor in this crowd, so,...let me start out w/ maybe a mundane topic, that is, why I chose to acquire Tipo L among the rest. Just a quick overview, The Dino line can be divided into two groups of Dino 206GT and Dino 246GT/GTS. (I'll stick to the latter for now). The 246s can be subdivided into several models (Tipo/type). Series 1 Tipo L model #00400~01116 from 1969~1970, 357 made. Tipo L was the transition model from the early all alloy 206 model. L model used many parts from 206s. Notably, panels were all alloys (bonnets, doors, hood). Series 2 Tipo M model #01118~02130 from 1970~1971, 506 made. Series 3 Tipo E model #02132~07650 from 1971~1974, 1624 made. Dino 246GTS model #02174~08518 frp, 1972~1974, 1274 made mainly for the US market. Thus, among the various 246 models, initially I was considering a 246GTS because I liked the idea of removable roof. As much as I liked it and it would have been great for a drive thru mountain roads by yourself or w/ your sweetheart, considering the reality of roads here in Japan, I ruled that out. Besides, purely from esthetic standpoint, I thought the GT profiles and lines were superior to the GTS. After much anguish, I narrowed my search for the Series 1 Tipo L model among the rest for the following reasons: Tipo L was the transition model incorporating the character of earlier 206 and the latter 246 (this includes the interior specs); lighter body wieght; limited production numbers relative to the rest; still hand made instead of pressed panels for the latter models. Gotta stop for now. To be continued, if there's interest. Thanx w/ smiles Jimmy

Italian Lover 06-26-2009 10:46 AM

Tipo L features:

8 Attachment(s)
Some differences of Tipo L versus the latter Tipo M, Tipo E models:
Exterior Differences: Rear & Front bumpers same as Dino 206 GT which are slimmer; aluminum alloy doors and panels; folding (centered) windshield wipers; door lock position within the concavity of air damn; rear trunk lid has exterior push/lock button.
Interior Differences: no radio, no A/C; headrests separate from seats and attached to rear mould; no door pockets; foot rest and hand strap in copilot chair side; vent control levers located in center console tunnel.

Gcalo 06-26-2009 11:33 AM

Very beautiful but 246 and 1969 don't mix!

I did not think there was a 246 in 69!

Italian Lover 06-26-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gcalo (Post 96292)
Very beautiful but 246 and 1969 don't mix!

I did not think there was a 246 in 69!

In 1969, 81 Dino 246 GT Tipo L were made. w/ smiles Jimmy

Gcalo 06-26-2009 12:31 PM

No kidding?

I thought there were no 246's before 1972!

Italian Lover 06-26-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gcalo (Post 96297)
No kidding?

I thought there were no 246's before 1972!

No kidding. You're probably thinking of the Tipo M and Tipo E models. Not positive but it may be that Tipo L models were not imported to the States then. Between 1969 till 1970, roughly 350 or so Tipo L models were built. w/ smiles Jimmy

archiegibbs 06-26-2009 01:54 PM

Beautiful car Jimmy. I love the colour.

The red upholstery looks very striking and a bold contrast to the exterior, but I quite like the contrast.

It's interesting to see that a lot of the switchgear made it over to my '84 308 QV.

How do you decide which one of your very impressive stable to drive?

Italian Lover 06-26-2009 03:22 PM

Thanx, Archie. Glad you like the color. The car came to me as black w/ tan Daytona seats. I had the interior redone and I chose this color combination. This car is a driver's car, no where near your car's condition. It runs fine and have no intention of dling anything major so far. Seriously, I must decrease the number of cars because it is a chore to take turns to keep them happy. The only problem is that I do not buy cars at a whim and consequently, I end up getting attached to the cars, making it very difficult to part. As you know very well, Dinos were the beginning of the beautiful series leading up to the 355s in blood. Should be getting to be nice seasons for driving in England. Here, we are in the midst of rainy season that usually runs 6 weeks. Not the best time for these older Ferraris to be called on duty. w/ smiles Jimmy

Italian Lover 07-10-2009 07:00 PM

Side brake (parking brake)

Just a quick report of the latest tinkering. Ever since I bought my Dino back in 2004, the side brake has been virtually useless. It was way too "weak" to be of any function. Had it worked on couple of years ago but did not improve much. Took to a different shop today and without any major works, the side brake has revived and is functional and dependable. These side brakes, especially in the early Dino models were never too good to begin with, thus I should be happy with today's outcome. w/ smiles Jimmy

Italian Lover 07-13-2009 02:32 AM

15 Attachment(s)
It is the rainy season in Japan and I have not taken the Dino out for couple of weeks now. Today was a decent day and I was able to take her out to/from work. Also took some pics too. Dino is running fine despite the neglect lately. w/ smiles Jimmy

Boxer 07-13-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS (Post 96825)
It is the rainy season in Japan and I have not taken the Dino out for couple of weeks now. Today was a decent day and I was able to take her out to/from work. Also took some pics too. Dino is running fine despite the neglect lately. w/ smiles Jimmy

Jimmy, Fantastic pictures. The Dino looks sensational. Was it a huge change in driving style after the 275 GTB?

Vitalone 07-13-2009 09:22 AM

Beautiful Dino, Jimmy! Thanks for the interesting details and detailed pictures, these bring back wonderful memories!

Back in 1983 my Dad acquired a 1970 246 gt L-series with all the features as described by you and pictured on your magnificent example. It was red with black vinyl interior. It was a thrilling car and cemented my Ferrari passion-it was all the emotion and excitement that I had huge expectations of for a Ferrari. My Dad's example also lived up to the other side of the Ferrari myth of the time-unreliable. In those days many Dino's had not been restored and were not valued as much as they should have been (debates were raging then as to whether the Dino was a true Ferrari or a Fiat-Ferrari). The wisdom of the time was the later the Dino the better, as the later ones were more developed. A case of customers developing the cars. Inspired by this wonderful Dino and ignoring those snobs who denounced it as a lesser Ferrari for not having a 12 cylinder motor, I acquired my first Ferrari, a 1974 last-of-the-line 246 gt in 1996. Red with tan "Daytona" interior, UK spec with electric windows and door pockets. Front bumpers did not wrap around into the front grill. Also had the clap-type windscreen wipers. Mine had been rebuilt by a Swiss engineer and so was literally better than new. Drove it every weekend and won my class in concours for the 2 years that I enjoyed this wonderful Dino. Pure Ferrari beauty and music. And a lot of fun to drive-kept a few 308's honest around Kyalami. My 308 GTB is a worthy successor and has got to me just like my Dino did.

212Export 07-13-2009 10:41 AM

Just breathtaking beautiful Jimmy. That colour is sooooo elegant !!! Wonderful. Would be a great swiss pass bends racer !

Italian Lover 07-13-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalone (Post 96838)
Beautiful Dino, Jimmy! Thanks for the interesting details and detailed pictures, these bring back wonderful memories!

Back in 1983 my Dad acquired a 1970 246 gt L-series with all the features as described by you and pictured on your magnificent example. It was red with black vinyl interior. It was a thrilling car and cemented my Ferrari passion-it was all the emotion and excitement that I had huge expectations of for a Ferrari. My Dad's example also lived up to the other side of the Ferrari myth of the time-unreliable. In those days many Dino's had not been restored and were not valued as much as they should have been (debates were raging then as to whether the Dino was a true Ferrari or a Fiat-Ferrari). The wisdom of the time was the later the Dino the better, as the later ones were more developed. A case of customers developing the cars. Inspired by this wonderful Dino and ignoring those snobs who denounced it as a lesser Ferrari for not having a 12 cylinder motor, I acquired my first Ferrari, a 1974 last-of-the-line 246 gt in 1996. Red with tan "Daytona" interior, UK spec with electric windows and door pockets. Front bumpers did not wrap around into the front grill. Also had the clap-type windscreen wipers. Mine had been rebuilt by a Swiss engineer and so was literally better than new. Drove it every weekend and won my class in concours for the 2 years that I enjoyed this wonderful Dino. Pure Ferrari beauty and music. And a lot of fun to drive-kept a few 308's honest around Kyalami. My 308 GTB is a worthy successor and has got to me just like my Dino did.

Vitalone, thank you for your story. I presume you owned the series 3 Tipo E model ? Everything you mentioned are so true. Great to hear from an owner. Very seldom you hear in depth discussions/ comments regarding the different models' differences. Since the early models were literally handmade, each Dino was different. Originally, when I was searching for a Dino, I was interested in 206GT, but due to rarity (only 150 or so made) and market price at the time and other reasons, I searched for L model. I don't need to lecture, but you know very well that Dino is an all around, perfectly balanced car with excellent handling. Got to drive one to appreciate it. w/smiles Jimmy

Italian Lover 07-13-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 212Export (Post 96848)
Just breathtaking beautiful Jimmy. That colour is sooooo elegant !!! Wonderful. Would be a great swiss pass bends racer !

+1. Couldn't agree more, 212Export. I think Dino is the car for those twisty hills in Swiss as I saw in the FLED 2. w/ smiles Jimmy

Vitalone 07-13-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS (Post 96851)
Vitalone, thank you for your story. I presume you owned the series 3 Tipo E model ? Everything you mentioned are so true. Great to hear from an owner. Very seldom you hear in depth discussions/ comments regarding the different models' differences.

Indeed Jimmy, mine was a series 3, one of the last ones. The differences between the Dino tipos are fascinating. Other differences I noted between tipos L and E are that the earlier tipo had knock-on Cromodora wheels as opposed to 5 bolt for the later tipo and that the earlier tipo had twin reversing lights below each rear bumper whereas the later tipo had a single reversing light beneath the number plate. I believe that there were also differences in the construction of the engine with the same design but different materials used in construction-more exotic metals used in the earlier tipo I seem to recall. Regardless of detail differences, they are indeed wonderful to drive with exceptional handling and faster than what figures on paper might suggest. I enjoy watching The Persuaders (1970-1) with Danny (Tony Curtis) driving around in a red/black 246 series 1 Tipo L and Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) driving around in a gold Aston Martin DBS.

Italian Lover 07-15-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalone (Post 96853)
Indeed Jimmy, mine was a series 3, one of the last ones. The differences between the Dino tipos are fascinating. Other differences I noted between tipos L and E are that the earlier tipo had knock-on Cromodora wheels as opposed to 5 bolt for the later tipo and that the earlier tipo had twin reversing lights below each rear bumper whereas the later tipo had a single reversing light beneath the number plate. I believe that there were also differences in the construction of the engine with the same design but different materials used in construction-more exotic metals used in the earlier tipo I seem to recall. Regardless of detail differences, they are indeed wonderful to drive with exceptional handling and faster than what figures on paper might suggest. I enjoy watching The Persuaders (1970-1) with Danny (Tony Curtis) driving around in a red/black 246 series 1 Tipo L and Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) driving around in a gold Aston Martin DBS.

I remember seeing that clip on Youtube also, Vitalone. Very entertaining to see those two cars zipping in and out thru those winding roads. What's amazing IMHO is that a Dino, being merely a V6 is competing with AM (a V12 ?) neck to neck. Dino is such a well balanced car with transverse, midengine mount,...and not to mention the excellent visibility virtually all around, plus the relative lightness of body ...all contribute to the spirited driving experience. w/ smiles Jimmy

Boxer 07-15-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS (Post 96925)
I remember seeing that clip on Youtube also, Vitalone. Very entertaining to see those two cars zipping in and out thru those winding roads. What's amazing IMHO is that a Dino, being merely a V6 is competing with AM (a V12 ?) neck to neck. Dino is such a well balanced car with transverse, midengine mount,...and not to mention the excellent visibility virtually all around, plus the relative lightness of body ...all contribute to the spirited driving experience. w/ smiles Jimmy

Jimmy, Actually it is a pretty fair match. The original Aston DBS was also a 6 cylinder.

Italian Lover 07-15-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer (Post 96931)
Jimmy, Actually it is a pretty fair match. The original Aston DBS was also a 6 cylinder.

Thanx for the correction. Yet another error from me. Nothing new ? w/ smiles Jimmy

Vitalone 07-15-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS (Post 96938)
Thanx for the correction. Yet another error from me. Nothing new ? w/ smiles Jimmy

An easy error to make as the DBS in "The Peruaders" was indeed a 6 cylinder as pointed out by Boxer but it had the later rims to look like the later DBS V8. The DBS 6 cylinder would be no match for the Dino in any circumstances as it way too heavy for the 4 litre, 6 cylinder motor from the DB6. The DBS V8 is another story with a very powerful, fuel injected (and originally troublesome) V8 motor. In a straight line the V8 was much faster than the Dino but the Dino would have caught the nearly 2 ton Aston through the bends. Boy that Dino could handle, keep up the momentum and it is still very fast across country.