72 246 Gts #04754 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
72 246 Gts #04754

Folks:

Can anyone tell me where I might go to ascertain the approximate build date for the vehicle above?

My present info leads me to believe the vehicle was built as a European-spec
car, imported to the U.S. and "Federalized" in California.

I am in the process of appraising this vehicle and would appreciate any assistance provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRAIZR View Post
Folks:

Can anyone tell me where I might go to ascertain the approximate build date for the vehicle above?

I am in the process of appraising this vehicle and would appreciate any assistance provided.
The only information I have on this car is that it is a 1972 Red/Tan 246 GTS European delivery LHD. Suggest you contact the following for more information:

G. Roush at www.ferrarimarketletter.com - he keeps an extensive data base of all US Ferraris
M. Sheehan at www.ferraris-online.com - also has a large data base on Ferraris
D. Merritt at the DOT in Washington DC. He will be able to tell you when it was imported and Federalized.

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRAIZR View Post
Folks:

The owner can go on the Ferrari Owners website and request a "Colours Certificate" which in addition to listing the original colors will have the build date.

Best regards,
Dino

1989 328GTS Red/Pelle Rosso & Crema Interior

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
The owner can go on the Ferrari Owners website and request a "Colours Certificate" which in addition to listing the original colors will have the build date.

Best regards,
Dino
They have actually gotten quite snippy about providing this data directly. The last time I contacted them I was told to ask my local dealer for the information.

After some bruising around the ears, they were happy to provide it directly.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Owner

Hi Boxer,

I heard that the problem getting info on cars seems more directed at fuel injected cars of the 1980s and later. It seems it was Ferrari's policy to provide Colours Certificates only to owners of carbed cars from 1980 and older. Some how I got by and got one for my 328GTS as did another owner I know. I wanted some additional information and someone from the Classiche Department emailed it to me. But I wanted a written document stating the information I was seeking. To obtain the information in a written document to go with my other paperwork it cost me $250 USD. But I've heard now its $500, not sure if thats because of a weak US dollar or just a general price increase.

Best regards,
Dino

post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Hi Boxer,

I heard that the problem getting info on cars seems more directed at fuel injected cars of the 1980s and later. It seems it was Ferrari's policy to provide Colours Certificates only to owners of carbed cars from 1980 and older. Some how I got by and got one for my 328GTS as did another owner I know. I wanted some additional information and someone from the Classiche Department emailed it to me. But I wanted a written document stating the information I was seeking. To obtain the information in a written document to go with my other paperwork it cost me $250 USD. But I've heard now its $500, not sure if thats because of a weak US dollar or just a general price increase.

Best regards,
Dino
I have heard that since they implemented the Classiche Program fees for any information have been raised significantly.

It also seems to be very inconsistent. The car I was asking for basic details on was a 250 PF.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I have heard that since they implemented the Classiche Program fees for any information have been raised significantly.

It also seems to be very inconsistent. The car I was asking for basic details on was a 250 PF.
My car is an 89 328, so it is not old enough to go through the Classiche Program (I heard the car has to be 20 years old or a Supercar such as an F40, F50, Enzo etc orthey will not certify the car). So maybe the charged a token fee for the info the provided me with.

You mentioned in one post that they told you to contact the original dealer for information. Some of those original dealers are long gone...not to mention it might be a bit much to hope a dealer has info relating to a 45-50 year old car. I tried contacting the dealer my car originally went to and they were nice, but it seemed like they did not want to take the time to go to their warehouse and look for documents on an old car. I made a few calls to them and then my last email went unanswered. So I was happy that the Classiche Dept. supplied me with the info I was looking for.

Best regards,
Dino

Best regards
Dino

post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
My car is an 89 328, so it is not old enough to go through the Classiche Program (I heard the car has to be 20 years old or a Supercar such as an F40, F50, Enzo etc orthey will not certify the car). So maybe the charged a token fee for the info the provided me with.

You mentioned in one post that they told you to contact the original dealer for information. Some of those original dealers are long gone...not to mention it might be a bit much to hope a dealer has info relating to a 45-50 year old car. I tried contacting the dealer my car originally went to and they were nice, but it seemed like they did not want to take the time to go to their warehouse and look for documents on an old car. I made a few calls to them and then my last email went unanswered. So I was happy that the Classiche Dept. supplied me with the info I was looking for.

Best regards,
Dino
Glad to hear that with a little percervence that you were able to get the information needed. In genral I have always found the Classic Department very help. Sometimes it is just a bit difficult to get thorugh all the filters to them.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Thank You!!

Boxer & Dino 944:

Thanks guys, you've been a great help. Just got of the phone with Dick Merritt and he confirmed your information.

You may not know this but the guy has owned 48, count 'em 48, Ferrari's!

Very neat person.

Thanks again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode