246 Brake Booster Rebuild or Buy a New One? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
246 Brake Booster Rebuild or Buy a New One?

The brake booster in my 1972 Dino 246 GT is no longer functioning and the question I'm facing is whether to send mine to be rebuilt or purchase a new one and just replace it. I would prefer to send mine in and have it cleaned and rebuilt, but, I'm worried about the turnaround time and whether it would be more cost effective to just purchase a new one (if they are readily available). if anyone has had their brake booster rebuilt, could you direct me to the company that did the work and give me an approximate cost of the rebuild including the shipping costs to and from the rebuilder? If anyone has replaced their brake booster recently and was satisfied with the replacement brake booster, could you give me the name of the company that you purchased the booster from and an approximate cost of the part including the shipping cost?
Apparently the booster went bad from sitting too long during my car's long repair journey. Of course, the insurance refuses to pay for the repairs to the brake booster as it is not considered to be caused by the accident.
I've always appreciated all the help I've received over the years from the Dino owners on this forum and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out on this issue. Thank you again for your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-30-2017, 03:46 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
It will be far less expensive to simply have the booster rebuilt. As I recall, it is not possible to purchase a booster as a standalone part. This is due to the critical setting of the master cylinder to booster engagement pushrod length.

I will PM you the folks that will likely be able to help you....

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 7 Old 12-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Garage
If your booster plating is adequate then a rebuild could be as simple as changing the sealing
e.g.
Ferrari 246 GT / GTS: Brakes: Brake Servo & Compensator: Sealing sleeve BONALDI brake servo

post #4 of 7 Old 01-01-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you David. So far, the few places that I've found that will rebuild and refurbish the brake booster for a 246 Dino are pricing the overhaul at about $1,200.00 plus shipping. I look forward to getting your PM with some vendors that can handle this procedure.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2018, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Happy New Year Scott.
I'll send your info to my mechanic and I'll see if what he says. My insurance company and my mechanic have been at odds lately, so, nothing has been done on my Dino for the past few months. The brake booster is not functioning and my gas gauge isn't working too. I was hoping that the gas gauge issue might be a stuck float, but, since I can't drive the car, I don't know if it will work it's way loose or if needs to be replaced.
Anyway, thank you again Scott for this information.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
...Apparently the booster went bad from sitting too long during my car's long repair journey.
Boosters typically fail due to brake fluid (from the rear of the master cylinder) weeping into the housing and damaging the diaphragm. Oftentimes, there will be no discernible loss of brake fluid, either...The other primary reason for failure is simply age. The diaphragm is made of rubber which dry-rots over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Thank you David. I look forward to getting your PM with some vendors that can handle this procedure.
PM sent

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Remember to check that the one way vacuum valve is not stuck and check that the seal against the brake cylinder is not shut before you go all the way in for a rebuild or even worse a new buy. It is very rarely the inside rubber membrane that is the culprit. New overhaul sets complete with membrane and other seals are readily available in good quality on the market and a good brake shop should be able to do the job. I fixed my 308 brake servo myself but it is not a job I can recommend for the medium skilled DIY....Good luck.

Best Regards Peter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode