Anyone ever tried upgrading their 246 A/C with the Dino 246 RetroAir Upgrade A/C Kit - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Anyone ever tried upgrading their 246 A/C with the Dino 246 RetroAir Upgrade A/C Kit

I ran across this company that is producing an A/C upgrade kit for the Dino 246 among other classic cars. Since the A/C compressor will be removed from my 246 while it is undergoing some mechanical work, I was thinking about upgrading my A/C with this upgrade kit. The testimonials are glowing, but, I wanted some input from Ferrari owners who may have utilized this upgrade and to get their comments on the merits or issues they may have with this upgrade kit. Here is the link to the site with the Dino 246 Upgrade A/C kit: Ferarri Dino 246 A/C Kits | RetroAir, Inc.
Each kit is specifically designed to upgrade and improve the cold air output of the existing system by replacing certain components in the existing system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
You don't want that kit, it uses a Sanden compressor and only a York will look correct and use only OEM brackets. I used to be able to get an R134a system together (uses O-rings over Flare seals) and be cosmetically the same as OEM for $1000 in parts.

Here is the OEM A/C system I pulled off of 05702:
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 08-23-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi Scott,

My Dino was finally shipped back to me on Oahu and it is currently at my mechanic's shop. He needs to install the new exhaust headers with heat shields that Dennison Int. Motorsport manufactured and connect up the new Ansa muffler. He then needs to go over the entire car to check everything sin ce the car has been sitting for over six years. I was interested in the A/C upgrade kit because of the potential increase in the blower capacity and the ability to create a colder air flow from the A/C system. Since my mechanic had to remove the A/C compressor and the fuel tank to install the front exhaust header, I thought it might be a good time to try an upgrade. I was planning to wrap and store away all of the original components so that he system could be restored to original condition. It can get pretty warm in Hawaii and the current A/C does not seem to move a lot of air from the vents.
Do you think that I should stick with the original system? I'd like to know your opinion on this matter. My A/C is currently running on R-12. By the way, I had the Michelin XWXs mounted and they look really nice. I still can't believe that Longstone Tires in England shipped the tires to Hawaii via Global Priority Mail for free!!! That was truly an amazing thing that you rarely find now days.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Owner

Garage
The most common failure is a compressor seal leak and you can buy new compressors with Viton seals sporting 40% more displacement for under $500
Stay with R-12, it is easier to seal than R-134a.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Owner

Garage
BTW, with A/C on, the Dino only blows cold air through the one, center dash vent. I have heard people routing Air to the side vents to distribute it more evenly
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

As always, thanks for those bits of info on how to improve on the original A/C system.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Owner

Garage
For under $300 you can buy a new condensor with O-ring fittings complete with O-ring To Flare insert. This allows 100% compatibility with OEM but if you wanted to use superior Viton O-ring seals then you could ditch the insert have hoses made up with O-ring fittings.

There is over far more condensor heat exchange surface area too.

The compressor exterior is identical to OEM but has 40% more flow
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Scott,

Who are the manufacturers of the condensor and the compressor and what are the part numbers for these units? Have you finished the upgrade to your A/C system yet? Luckily, Summer is almost over, so, I can take my time in deciding on the upgrade to my A/C system.Thanks again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode