Hunting for Michelin XWX 205/70VR 14 tires for my Dino - Ferrari Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2dinos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 83
Hunting for Michelin XWX 205/70VR 14 tires for my Dino

I have been hunting for a set of Michelin XWX 205/70VR 14 tires for my Dino. Unfortunatesly, I live in Hawaii, so, The biggest downside of ordering tires is the high cost of having them shipped to Hawaii. I used to know someone who worked in a local tire company and I could order tires through him with a low shipping cost. Sadly that company no longer allows their employees to order any brand of tire not in their current line of tires. Not a lot of places carry this tire outside of specialty tire companies. In each case, as soon as I input my zip code, a rather large shipping fee is added to the cost of my order. That is until I tried Longstone Classic Tires inEngland. Actually, I tried ordering the tires because I was curious as to what the shipping costs would be from a tire company in England and compare it to the costs from the American companies that I've looked at. Much to my surprise, after inputting my zip code, it said that the shipping would be "FREE!" I assumed that it was a mistake, so I exited the webpage and re-entered via a new webpage and tried to order the foru tires with my Hawaii zip code. It still said that the shipping would be free, so, I completed the order thinking that the company would contact me to tell me that it was a mistake and the tell me what the actual shipping costs would be. That never happened, so I assumed that the tires would be shipped by cheapest and slowest form of transport. Unbeknowst to me, my credit card company had held up the payment and contacted me a few days after I intiated the order to see if I had indeed ordered these tires frfom this company in England. I verified that I had placed the order and they made the payment. After two more days, I still had not received any confirmation from Longstone Classic Tires that my tires had been shipped. I emailed them and asked for them to confirm that payment had been received and that the tires had been shipped. I received a reply with tracking numbers for USPS delivery!!! When I tried to track the packages, it just said "In Transit." The next day, I had to run some errands in the morning and I found a card from the USPS saying they tried to deliver a packaage, but, no one was at home. I told myself that there is no way that this package could be my tires, but, in the Sender's box, it sure looked like it said "Great Britain." The handwriting was a little difficult to read, but, it sure did look like Grear Britain. Just in case it was the tires, I went to the post ofdfice and asked them to redeliver the package the next day (Saturday). And guess what? My mailman parked his truck and said that he had my tires in his truck!!! Longstone had sent the tires vis USPS Priority mail to my doorstep!!! I could not believe it. This is what I would call unbelievably great customer service!! Living on this island, you rarely get this kind of service when ordering such a bulkiy item without paying a large shipping fee.
Since this is the first time I've had to try and order a set of tires online, I may be the only one here that didn't know about Longstone Classic Tires. Maybe it's because they sell and ship tires worldwide, but, I'm telling everyone who might need new tires for their classic car to give Longstone Classic Tire a try. I found out that the sidewalls on my old set of tires had developed severe cracking during its six year repair process. If any of you want to see the journey my Dino has been on since the accident that derailed it for the past six years, you can look up the thread: Parts Source For Damaged 1972 Dino 246 GTin this forum. There are tons of photos concerning the repairs and the manufacturing of some of the needed parts.
So, if you need some tires for your classic vehicle, check out Longstone Classic Tires. Free shipping is free shipping no matter where you live. For me, it was a major savings in shipping costs.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 787
Garage
Great find, what are the date codes ?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Hi Scott,
. Where would I locate the date codes on the tires? I just found the date code. It says 0817.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0; 08-06-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: new information to add

post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

After Scott asked me about the date codes on the Michelin tires, I noticed that the second set of tires di not have a date code after the "A5HX" and the same set of tires state that it was "MADE IN SERBIA." Did I get a real set of Michelin tires from Longstone Classic Tires or are these a lower grade of tires? The tires with the date code "0817" are wrapped so I am unable to see if it was also made in Serbia or elsewhere. Does anyone know if Michelin is manufacturing tires in Serbia or should I be concerned about the quality of the tires I just received?
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

I just ran across an older thread in another Ferrari forum from a Ferrari owner who stated that all the Michelin Tires that he ever ordered was stamped "Made in France" except for the latest set of Michelin XWX that he had ordered in 2012 which were stamped "Made In Serbia." Apparently, Michelin started manufacturing tires in Serbia around 2012. So, this must mean that my tires real Michelin tires and I can confidentaly have them mounted on my Dino. I apologize for needlessly worrying anyone, but, I was a little stunned when I saw "Made In Serbia" on the Michelin XWXs that I had ordered when I had expected to see "Made In France" on the sidewall.
Here is an article concerning Michelin's further investment in a new tire manufacturing plant in Serbia: https://seenews.com/news/michelin-un...s-pirot-442276

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0; 08-06-2017 at 11:48 PM. Reason: New informaiton
post #6 of 9 Old 08-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 787
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Hi Scott,
. Where would I locate the date codes on the tires? I just found the date code. It says 0817.
The 8th week of 2017, these are fresh, wow!
Great find
post #7 of 9 Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Way to Go Longstone!

I too had an amazing experience buying from Longstone. Lightning fast shipping! A good friend who does biz w hi tech companies all over the world suggested I not give it a second thought. He doesn't know of the specific Michelin factory but believes developing countries have new industries that are very well equipped and have very good QA systems. I hope this is true. Anyway, the tires do look excellent on the car, and the rubber is quite compliant and sticky. Hope the handling is as good as they look. They're still breaking in so haven't pushed them yet. Very smooth going down the highway!

Anyway - very impressed with Longstone products and services.
USADino likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Longstone is the Place to go For tires

I'm glad that you had as great an experience as I did when you purchased your Michelin XWX tires from Longstone. I've been telling everyone that I know about their great service, excellent communications, and very fast free shipping to Hawaii. When you live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, anytime you buy something bulky or large and heavy, it's the cost of shipping the item that becomes the biggest extra cost in that transaction. Every time a company advertises a sale with "Free Shipping," you get a little "Sticker Shock" when they factor in the additional shipping costs. People here just shake their heads when I tell them that the prices at Longstone are very competitive and the shipping (via USPS Global Express two day shipping) is free. No one believes me until I show them photos of the invoices and the USPS label. I felt sorry for my mailman when he stopped to deliver the four tires (they filled up most of his mail truck).
I've managed to put a couple of hundred miles on these tires and they're great. My Dino isn't 100% finished, so, I'm just taking it out on weekends and holidays to give the car a shakedown to test all the systems and make sure everything is in working order. These are some photos of my Dino arriving back in Honolulu after being in Kona on The Big Island of Hawaii for six years. And the tires on the Dino in the photos are not the Michelin XWXs that I purchased from Longstone. The Michelins were installed after it got back in Honolulu. The story on that long journey is documented in another thread in this forum.
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
3 days after ordering! And - yes! The rims were set down with an abundance of care on the concrete.
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode