I Need To Find A Left Rear Side Marker Light - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 83
I Need To Find A Left Rear Side Marker Light

This is the last item that is holding up the work on my Dino. Does anyone have or know where I could find an original Side Marker Light Assembly for a 1972 246 GT Dino USA Model (With a red Marker light lens)? Or have any of you bought a replace side marker light assembly from a vendor and gotten an exact duplicate of their original side marker light.I will post some photos that will illustrate the difference between the original style marker light and the new ones that we've received from various vendors.
"Iíve been told that they Side marker light that they had ordered does not fit properly because it does not have the correct contours built into the assembly. He sent me photos of the new marker light and an original marker light from my Dino. The marker light from the car is black (that is how the original owner had it in 1972), so, you can see the differences in the photos. The flange around the bezel is also a lot thicker while the new one is fairly thin. They also noted that the marker light itself (that fits into the chrome bezel has very square corners while the original marker light has more rounded corners that match the rounded corners in the bezel itself. In the first photo, you can see the differences in the thickness of the bezel when the new one is next to the original one. In the second and third photos, if you look closely at the bottom edge of the metal ruler, youíll notice that the edges of the bezel are concave and not straight like the new one in the fourth and fifth photo. I need that curvature in the bezel because it matches the curvature in the quarter panel to make it fit snugly against the body when installed.
Have you ever had to replace a Side marker light on one of the Dinos that youíve worked on? Have you had any issues like mine in finding a good replacement for it? If so, from what vendor did you purchase the marker light assembly? Once I get this Left Rear Side Marker Light Assembly for a USA model 1972 246 GT, the car will be ready to ship."
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a used original Left Rear Side Marker Light for a USA Model 1972 246 GT Dino and is willing to part with it.Please PM me with some photos of it and the details. Thank you all.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 786
Garage
They show up on ebay all the time.
The Dino Compendium will give you the actual manufacturer numbers stamped into each

121995611168 | eBay
post #3 of 12 Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Owner

Garage
What are the Carello numbers on the lenses you have now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
This is the last item that is holding up the work on my Dino. Does anyone have or know where I could find an original Side Marker Light Assembly for a 1972 246 GT Dino USA Model (With a red Marker light lens)?

Or have any of you bought a replace side marker light assembly from a vendor and gotten an exact duplicate of their original side marker light.I will post some photos that will illustrate the difference between the original style marker light and the new ones that we've received from various vendors.

"I’ve been told that they Side marker light that they had ordered does not fit properly because it does not have the correct contours built into the assembly. He sent me photos of the new marker light and an original marker light from my Dino. The marker light from the car is black (that is how the original owner had it in 1972), so, you can see the differences in the photos. The flange around the bezel is also a lot thicker while the new one is fairly thin. They also noted that the marker light itself (that fits into the chrome bezel has very square corners while the original marker light has more rounded corners that match the rounded corners in the bezel itself. In the first photo, you can see the differences in the thickness of the bezel when the new one is next to the original one. In the second and third photos, if you look closely at the bottom edge of the metal ruler, you’ll notice that the edges of the bezel are concave and not straight like the new one in the fourth and fifth photo. I need that curvature in the bezel because it matches the curvature in the quarter panel to make it fit snugly against the body when installed.
Have you ever had to replace a Side marker light on one of the Dinos that you’ve worked on? Have you had any issues like mine in finding a good replacement for it? If so, from what vendor did you purchase the marker light assembly? Once I get this Left Rear Side Marker Light Assembly for a USA model 1972 246 GT, the car will be ready to ship."
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a used original Left Rear Side Marker Light for a USA Model 1972 246 GT Dino and is willing to part with it.Please PM me with some photos of it and the details. Thank you all.

Last edited by USADino; 01-11-2017 at 08:44 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi Scott,

I took a look at the one on eBay, however, it doesn't have the same shape or configuration as mine. It looks like these marker light bezels sit on top of the body while the marker light bezels on my 1972 GT fit into the body and only the edges of the bezel contact the body surface. I have to contact the body shop to get the Carello numbers from the lenses. I don't know if the Left Rear Marker Light Bezel is intact enough to get it's number, but, I know that the Right Rear Marker Light Bezel is undamaged. Would the numbers from the right side marker help in establishing the correct one for the left side? I'm hoping that someone might have an extra used one in their parts bin and would be willing to sell it. Because all the marker lights on my Dino are blacked out, the condition of the chrome is not that critical. But, thanks again Scott. You've been very helpful as usual.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to 3D print a bezel for me? Would they need an original Left Rear Bezel to scan and then print it? Or could they scan my Right Rear bezel and somehow flip all of the parameters of the scan to create the proper template of a Left Rear Marker Light Bezel. I guess I may be reaching a bit because I have know if it's possible to do that with the scan of the right side bezel to create the dimensions of the left side bezel. Anyone have any expertise in 3D printing to advise me whether this might even be possible?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Owner

Garage
Good eye,
Those are actually the rear USA DOT required reflectors and not the side markers as represented.

You could try painting yours with Chrome paint. The stuff is amazing and I've used it over raw aluminum reflector housing for lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Hi Scott,

I took a look at the one on eBay, however, it doesn't have the same shape or configuration as mine. It looks like these marker light bezels sit on top of the body while the marker light bezels on my 1972 GT fit into the body and only the edges of the bezel contact the body surface. I have to contact the body shop to get the Carello numbers from the lenses. I don't know if the Left Rear Marker Light Bezel is intact enough to get it's number, but, I know that the Right Rear Marker Light Bezel is undamaged. Would the numbers from the right side marker help in establishing the correct one for the left side? I'm hoping that someone might have an extra used one in their parts bin and would be willing to sell it. Because all the marker lights on my Dino are blacked out, the condition of the chrome is not that critical. But, thanks again Scott. You've been very helpful as usual.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Is that the same chrome paint that they use to chrome entire cars? I've seen it and it is an amazing process. However,since all the other bezels are blacked out, I just need to have it painted or vinyl wrapped in a flat black finish. I'm having a difficult time in finding a vendor who has an accurate reproduction of the original Left Rear Side Marker light Bezel. I did manage to find an original side marker light lens assembly, but, no bezel. I may have to look for a good used bezel and just clean it up and paint it to match. Dennison gave me the name of a vendor that makes a pretty good side marker light bezel and I've contacted the company and sent them some photos. Hopefully they'll have something for me in a few days. Their first supplier did not have the correct profile for the L/R bezel that I need, so, they're checking with another supplier. I never thought something a like a side marker light would be so difficult to replace.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Owner

Garage
Duplicolor rattle can, amazing stuff!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...wT2BoC01zw_wcB

What is the going price for the Bezel?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to get a can of that Duplicolor chrome spray paint and try it out.
The prices for the bezel varies from $80.00 to $250.00 (for a NOS bezel). The bezel that the shop bought was about $250.00 (you had to buy them in pairs). Another company only sells them in sets of four because each one is specifically made for either the L/F, R/F, L/R, or R/R and cannot be interchanges into another position. It was not the correct style of bezel and did not fit properly on the panels. The problem is that you can't be sure the item you're buying is being accurately described (unless you can find a real NOS marker light bezel and light assembly).
post #10 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I managed to find a NOS side marker light assembly

I ran across an auction for a NOS Dino side marker light assembly on eBay recently. I found out who the seller was (luckily they had a website and a business in MA.). The company selling the Dino marklight was Rowley Corvette Supply in Rowley MA. Apparently, they're cleaning out the old parts from their parts department and they had some old NOS Ferrari parts from the 80's that were purchased from FAF (I used to buy my Ferrari parts from FAF in the 80's, so, I was familiar with the company). I purchased the Dino side marker light assembly directly from them because I had seen a listing for a NOS Dino Left Rear Side Marker Light Bezel. Unfortunately for me, by the time I contacted them, the bezel had been sold and they hadn't updated their website. Luckily, I got the Light Assembly. Here are some photos from Rowley Corvette of the marker light assembly. These photos match exactly the light assembly that I received from them. Here is a link to their website where they have other NOS and used Ferrari parts of older Ferraris: Rowley Corvette Used & NOS, Discontinued Ferrari Parts * 1968-1974 *, Corvette Nomad, Camaro, GTO, Monte Carlo, Elcamino & Others

After purchasing two bezels (the shop order one and I tried ordering another from a different vendor) and neither of them was good enough to even attempt to use, I was directed to a new vendor who was highly recommended by a Ferrari restorer. The company that I was directed to was Squadra Nuvolari. They produce exact reproductions of various lenses, rubber pieces, interior plastic pieces that one might need in restoring an older Ferrari. I contacted Antonio Covelli at Squadra Nuvolari and sent him detailed photos of the DIno bezel that I needed. He sent my photos to his suppliers and one of them had the correct profile needed to produce these bezels. They produce them in sets of four and they do a very limited run. Because I told him that the bezels on my Dino were black, supplier is producing my set in black. I believe the other in this production run will be chrome. Here is a link to their website where they list (with photos) the Ferrari parts that they currently are still producing. Ferrari Lights, Lens Sets, and taillights | Squadra Nuvolari

I hope this information helps someone in need of some hard to find parts.
Attached Images

post #11 of 12 Old 01-27-2017, 07:00 AM
Owner

Garage
post #12 of 12 Old 01-28-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's pricey, but, if you rally want an NOS part for your Ferrari, it's strictly supply and demand. I guess if you're doing trying to do a 100 point restoration, then you need to find a NOS or a good used part. And who would have thought that a Corvette Supply shop would have old Ferrari Parts for sale. I'm glad that I stumbled onto their auction on eBay and then found their website and was able to at least purchase the marker light lens assembly. Squadra Nuvolari is charging $550.00 for a set of four bezels for my Dino.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode