Dino Rear Window Installation Issues - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Dino Rear Window Installation Issues

I just visited my 1972 246GT Dino at the Repair shop and it is in the final stages of the repairs. I inspected the car and noticed that the rear windshield has been installed with a new rubber molding. The problem is that I also noticed that the chrome molding that fits into the rubber molding seemed to be poorly installed. The surface of the chrome molding appeared to be "wrinkled" in many areas and a section of the molding had popped out from the rubber molding. Has anyone had experience in re-installing the rear glass? If so, a step by step description would be greatly appreciated. Also, I need to know if I have to replace this chrome molding, is it available? Or can I have a chrome shop repair the surface of the metal molding and re-chrome it? Any recommendations would be appreciated. This is the last hurdle that needs to be cleared so my car can be shipped back to me and my mechanic can work on the car to check everything out before it can be fired up and driven. Thank you everyone for your help and guidance. this five year plus journey may soon be over.

Hawaii 5-0
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-16-2016, 05:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
The chrome is installed in the rubber gasket then that is mounted around the glass edge and all set over opening. The rope is set in the lip surround, one person pushes the glass in place while the other pulls the rope to slip over the pinch weld edges.

Any slip out of the chrome and everything must be removed and re-started.
One trick is to get a bucket of very warm water and soak the rubber gasket to make it more pliable prior to install
post #3 of 4 Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Scott for the detailed description of the installation process for the rear window install. Would it help if you used very warm soapy water to soak the rubber gasket in to aid in the installation? I will pass this information to the body shop to assist them in any re-installation of the window. I only hope that there is a way to repair and re-chrome (if necessary) the chrome molding. If not, then the work on this car must stop until a replacement part is found. I seriously doubt if a replacement part can be found (from the various responses I've received from various vendors). If it needs to be replaced, I may have to look for someone who may be able to manufacture a replacement chrome molding, however, the cost to produce such a delicate piece like this may be prohibitive.

Hawaii 5-0

post #4 of 4 Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Well, my Dino still sitting in the shop because of the rear windshield glass installation. The chrome molding that fits into the rubber molding is damaged and the shop has been trying to find someone capable of repairing the molding and re chroming it. Does anyone know of a company that is capable of repairing and re chroming such a delicate piece? I was almost ready to ship the car to Oahu when I caught the botched rear windshield installation and the damage to the chrome molding. It looks like this job is going to carry over to 2017 (over 5 1/2 years!!!!). Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode