Dino 6934 - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 Old 04-18-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
Thanks for that, Iain. Very interesting. Yes, much more practical as a cigarette lighter, but sadly not so much use as a power supply! I shall follow your advice and have a socket fitted somewhere appropriate.

Or maybe there already is one - I'll have a look around under the dash. I am discovering all sorts of interesting things - that's one of the fund things about a new acquisition - such as that the period radio has been updated to receive FM transmissions, which is useful.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 04-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 786
Garage
I have heard about your horrible speed cameras, almost Orwellian. In WA State USA we have collectors license plate option for the car and with a small fee you can get a substitute for a periodic correct plate. The owner must find a period plate from 1972 on the open market (not the gov't) and it must have the correct color, year and sticker for that year, then present it to the gov't who assigns it to the collector plate as substitute.

Bottom line, several of us have found the gov't has not properly cross referenced these in their systems and tolls/camera tickets never get to the owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
John, the original Brico Pram cigarette lighter is fixed in place in the car. To operate it you would place a cigarette in the centre then push the outer black plastic ring down to heat the element. The plastic ring then springs back up once the heating cycle has completed. It was presumably designed so that a cigarette could be lit more safely whilst driving without having to remove the push in type lighters that are found in most other cars. You could wire in a discreet under dash power supply for the Garmin to allow you to keep the original lighter.
Iain has got it.
Actually I have heard the term "Cigar Lighter" to describe the Brico.

Getting power is easy, There is a good power tap point at your kick panel interior lights or you can run a wire to the battery as there is an access hole at the firewall to feed wires through. I actually found the garmin was most convenient when placed furthest outboard on the window. I have put more km on Dino 05082 than all prior owners put together.

One of the best improvements to make is a master power cutoff switch placed near the negative battery terminal. This is not just a security device but also a battery saver as the clock still consumes power when you ignition is off
post #23 of 25 Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
The alternative to a kill switch Scott is to hard wire a CTEK battery maintainer lead and route it through the access hole into the cabin. I've done that with my cars and have the connector close by the front trunk release handle where it is easy to reach and connect to the CTEK unit. The clock draws very little current but the CTEK certainly helps keep the battery in good shape when stored.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT

post #24 of 25 Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
I tend to use battery conditioners with all my cars when they are going to be left for more than a week or so. As it happens, my Dino is already hard wired and, even better, it is fitted with the correct connector for the type of conditioner I use (CSI Airflow)!

It would be a bit of a bugger having to get at the battery every time I put it away . . .

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #25 of 25 Old 04-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 786
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
I tend to use battery conditioners with all my cars when they are going to be left for more than a week or so. As it happens, my Dino is already hard wired and, even better, it is fitted with the correct connector for the type of conditioner I use (CSI Airflow)!

It would be a bit of a bugger having to get at the battery every time I put it away . . .
I use a Pacific battery systems maintainer and the hard wired leads were only long enough to get to the bonnet edge with an SAE connector. Tie wrapped to the coolant hose, it has worked for 8 years and I recently switched to CTEK MUS 4.3 for my Porsches. Found CTEk has an SAE adapter and can use that too.
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode