Paint colours and glass for my 1973 246 GTS UK - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 Old 07-20-2015, 12:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBailey View Post
Hi Alex, thank you, I'm interested to hear more if you could please message me the details and price? I'd like to see if I can find side glass too?
If Alex can't help you, you can also contact Brandoli directly. Better yet, go visit them. What an awesome workshop!! The coffee is good, too.

Onno

THE BRANDOLIS: Brandoli

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
Andy,

I didn't use O'Rourkes but have had a lot of interaction with Rorky on various trim aspects of the Dino and loaned him my original set of mats so he could take moulds of the plastic heelpads to make his excellent reproductions. I also obtained an original vinyl Daytona seat insert for him to use as a pattern for creating reproductions but don't know how far he has progressed with that.

Luppi supplied various elements of the interiors for my three GT models but the entire GTS was made by a superb trimmer in the midlands who I was introduced to by my body restorer. I sourced and supplied the Vaumol hides, Dino vinyl, carpet and plastic Daytona inserts strips for him to use. He has been trimming Dinos for nearly 30 years now so knows them intimately.

Good trimshops are hard to find and with the boom in restoration work they are able to be selective about the work they take on. Luppi themselves are a very small operation so lead times there can be quite lengthy as well. I have shipped seats out to them for recovering but now that I have found a local expert I wouldn't bother doing so again and would have everything trimmed here.
Hi Iain

Would you be happy to provide me with the details of the trimshop in the midlands that you worked with?

Thank you for sharing your expertise. Would love to see one of your Dinos.

Best
Andrew

Current: 1973 - 246 GTS, 1989 - 328 GTS, 550M x 3 (2 x 2000 & 1 x 2001)
Others: Range Rover, Defenders, VW Karman Beetle, JCW Race Mini, Tesla, Bentley
Previous: 360M, California, F430 (Spider)
post #23 of 27 Old 07-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Andy,

I'll contact him out of courtesy and ask if he is happy for me to put you in touch. I don't know how much forward work he has committed to but know that he is trying to cut back on the work he takes on.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT

post #24 of 27 Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Thank you Iain I can PM you my details if there's an opportunity to talk to them.
Best

Current: 1973 - 246 GTS, 1989 - 328 GTS, 550M x 3 (2 x 2000 & 1 x 2001)
Others: Range Rover, Defenders, VW Karman Beetle, JCW Race Mini, Tesla, Bentley
Previous: 360M, California, F430 (Spider)
post #25 of 27 Old 07-21-2015, 02:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Andy,

PM me your email address.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
post #26 of 27 Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
rear glass.

Hi Andrew, some pics on the rear glass and paper work that I have for the rear glass.
Attached Images

post #27 of 27 Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 801
Garage
Link to Rorky's website. I've bought interior leather, trunk carpet, interior carpet, vinyl and heel pads from him. Top quality stuff.
https://www.coachtrimmers.com/gallery.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
Andy,

Yes, Carrs did the mechanical restoration work on my cars for me. I have tried various sources for reproduction glass and would advise extreme caution on this. With the exception of the front windscreen (available remade by Pilkington Glass's classic operation - Pilkington bought out the OEM Italian supplier to Ferrari back in the early 90's) all of the reproduction glass I've bought has been a complete waste of money as it is not made to the spec of the original and gives fitting issues due to being thicker than the OEM glass. Some from DinoParts also had a lot of surface imperfections. The rear screen offered by Alex may well be a very good item but I have no experience of it as none of my cars required the rear glass.

If going back to the original colour I'd strongly suggest checking which interior your car was originally delivered with - leather or vinyl. I recently sold my Bianco Polo Park GT which I restored back to full original spec including nero vinyl interior and the vinyl was one of the biggest attractions to buyers as it was period correct and now looks very retro. It looked fantastic in the car.

Some pointers for you if you want the car to be 100% correct - Your inner door sills, door cappings, centre console (all 3 sections), B post trim and panel across the top of the rear wall and around the inside of the sail panels would have been trimmed in black Dino vinyl when new. There are trim panels that fit to the underside of the targa roll bar and these are often missing as well. They were also trimmed in black Dino vinyl. The door cards should not have screw fixings along the bottom. These were originally held in place by hidden trim clips along the lower edge that fix into the plyboard of the door card. There were only 4 screws used to fix the door cards by the factory and these were on the top of each door card at the front and rear. I've managed to convert Rorky at O'Rourke Coachtrimmers to fitting door cards in the correct factory manner and he now has a stash of the various trim clips required. Your door cards are also missing the trim "buttons" that cover the access to the emergency winding mechanism on the door window motors.Your carpets would not have had contrast edging and were most likely to have been beige I suspect though the original factory order would possibly confirm this.The seat runners would also have had outer covers that were finished in the same material as the seats. Many cars have lost these over the years but they are simple panels to re-create.

Beware - Once you have seen a car that is trimmed exactly as per the original factory methods you'll most likely want to do the same to your car as it makes a huge difference

Here is a photo that Luppi sent me of their beige heat stitched vinyl which is 100% accurate to the original. Ignore the black Daytona vinyl insert strips above.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode