The Dino Project - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 127 Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 88
The Dino Project

Hello everyone!

We started with a simple idea - documenting the restoration of a classic "farm find" 1973 Dino Ferrari 246 GT-Euro (#05554). The idea gained momentum when we discovered the connection between the car and the man himself. More than that - the link to the disease he died from, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Our hope is to build a community of awareness around this chain of discovery; in the process linking people whose passion for historic auto restoration can also help in restoring the families of children with this tragic illness. Please follow us on this journey...

The Dino Ferrari Project | Restoring more than just a car
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome. Sounds like fun and she looks just like my old 02984, also Rosso Dino.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 127 Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Did you keep it Rosso Dino? We like the color from the original standpoint but we're pondering a color change.

post #4 of 127 Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Bags and Boxes of Parts

Found in Spring of 2013 this Dino 246 GT-Euro was partially disassembled so we had a few bags and boxes to bring back to the shop to inventory. We assembled what we had so that we could inventory any missing parts.

Q: What is Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy?
A: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) is the most common fatal genetic disorder diagnosed in childhood, affecting approximately 1 in every 3,500 live male births (about 20,000 new cases each year).

Attached Images

post #5 of 127 Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
Welcome - looks exciting!
You will find the dino systems are quite simple and basic making restoration easy with a cottage industry of part suppliers for the Dino. I have Euro Dino 05082 orginally also delivered to Italy, if you need a reference car on re-assembly then don't hesitate to ask.

BTW, As you go through the restoration you will find the Scalietti Body number on a HUGE number of parts on the car and may want to make note of these. Everthing from the doors to chrome trim to trunk hinges and interior panels. Truly hand built cars. (Dino 05082 has body # 1318)

What country / city are you in?
I scoured the Blog and website but couldn't find it stated.
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 10-24-2014 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 127 Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Owner
Elite Member

I love Rosso Dino and that is the color I would want if I ever had another Dino, which is highly unlikely. Several 458s have been painted Rosso Dino, too, as well as a few Daytonas. A spectacular and relatively rare color that screams Dino.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 127 Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Nice idea. is there some way in which you can link your website to raising funds for research into DMD?

Please don't change the colour. I am not an originality freak, but originality is an attractive concept nonetheless. I changed the colour of my 911 back to original, but I wouldn't have done it had the original colour not been one I liked (midnight blue). I am not going to do the same with my E-type, because I like the current dark green far more than its original Jewish Racing Gold. When a car is such a nice colour anyway, as your Dino is, it does seem a shame not to keep it original. If the original colour were something unpleasant, then a colour change would be understandable, but it is such a nice colour, so please keep it that way.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #8 of 127 Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
thank you for sharing your project with us here on FL. I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about your progress. Your Dino looks like it's in pretty good shape to begin with. I've envious, the Dino is one of my all time favorite cars, restoring one would be a devotional effort for me.

Cheers

Enjoy the journey so much you don't care how long it takes to get there.
post #9 of 127 Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
Welcome - looks exciting!
You will find the dino systems are quite simple and basic making restoration easy with a cottage industry of part suppliers for the Dino. I have Euro Dino 05082 orginally also delivered to Italy, if you need a reference car on re-assembly then don't hesitate to ask.

BTW, As you go through the restoration you will find the Scalietti Body number on a HUGE number of parts on the car and may want to make note of these. Everthing from the doors to chrome trim to trunk hinges and interior panels. Truly hand built cars. (Dino 05082 has body # 1318)

What country / city are you in?
I scoured the Blog and website but couldn't find it stated.
Thanks for all the helpful information on the reference numbers. We've found plenty on this car - all photographed and documented. Thanks too for going to the website. We're here in the United States.

~The Dino Project
post #10 of 127 Old 10-25-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I love Rosso Dino and that is the color I would want if I ever had another Dino, which is highly unlikely. Several 458s have been painted Rosso Dino, too, as well as a few Daytonas. A spectacular and relatively rare color that screams Dino.
Thanks for your input. We've talked about it at great lengths and probably will continue to until we're ready to paint. There were 314 Dinos painted Russo Dino. So, you're right about it being a relatively rare color and very much period correct. We wonder if the color was special to Enzo or his son, Alfredo, since the color bears Dino's name. We're still doing some research on the color and how it came about.

Thanks for following.
post #11 of 127 Old 10-25-2014, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Nice idea. is there some way in which you can link your website to raising funds for research into DMD?

Please don't change the colour. I am not an originality freak, but originality is an attractive concept nonetheless. I changed the colour of my 911 back to original, but I wouldn't have done it had the original colour not been one I liked (midnight blue). I am not going to do the same with my E-type, because I like the current dark green far more than its original Jewish Racing Gold. When a car is such a nice colour anyway, as your Dino is, it does seem a shame not to keep it original. If the original colour were something unpleasant, then a colour change would be understandable, but it is such a nice colour, so please keep it that way.

Thanks for your input on the color. We will be taking FerrariLife family's opinion on the color. We're still doing research on Russo Dino and why this color was named after Alfredo Ferrari. It must have been a special color for Dino but we'll dig a little deeper and try to find out some more information.

As for the link to donate...we're currently working on that. We want to make sure all the donations go to research. We hope to have a link for donations up soon. Thank you for that special question. Please be patient with us.

post #12 of 127 Old 10-25-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
thank you for sharing your project with us here on FL. I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about your progress. Your Dino looks like it's in pretty good shape to begin with. I've envious, the Dino is one of my all time favorite cars, restoring one would be a devotional effort for me.

Cheers
Thank you. Yes, it is in pretty good shape. Definitely one of the nicest ones we've started with. Keep on watching and we'll be posting more photos from when we disassembled it and you'll see for yourself how nice this car was. Please don't be envious... just keep looking for one to restore. They are out there. We're devoted to ending Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

post #13 of 127 Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
That looks to be a lovely car. The colour is called Rosso Dino not Russo. Rosso is simply the Italian word for red and there is no particular link to Enzo's son Alfredo. The colour was actually initially called Arancio tipo PF and was the launch colour of the first 206 chosen by the design house Pininfarina hence the PF part of the name. Ferrari changed the name of the colour to Rosso Dino when the car went into series production. Many colours for the 206/246 were given the descriptive term Dino in their official names by Ferrari. These included -

Azzurro Dino
Giallo Dino
Blu Dino Metallizzato
Marrone Dino Metallizzato
Viola Dino Metallizzato
Verde Scuro Dino

I restored an earlier RHD car in this colour and documented it on this board as well. It's a very rewarding process that I have been through four times now with Dinos.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
post #14 of 127 Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Great project. I love restorations. Best of luck with it, and thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #15 of 127 Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
That looks to be a lovely car. The colour is called Rosso Dino not Russo. Rosso is simply the Italian word for red and there is no particular link to Enzo's son Alfredo. The colour was actually initially called Arancio tipo PF and was the launch colour of the first 206 chosen by the design house Pininfarina hence the PF part of the name. Ferrari changed the name of the colour to Rosso Dino when the car went into series production. Many colours for the 206/246 were given the descriptive term Dino in their official names by Ferrari. These included -

Azzurro Dino
Giallo Dino
Blu Dino Metallizzato
Marrone Dino Metallizzato
Viola Dino Metallizzato
Verde Scuro Dino

I restored an earlier RHD car in this colour and documented it on this board as well. It's a very rewarding process that I have been through four times now with Dinos.
Thank you for the feedback! The Ferrari color information is fascinating. Thank you.

post #16 of 127 Old 10-27-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Out of the box

We delivered the car to Larry Englehart at Ferrari Technologies for an assessment. He first did a compression test and leak down of the rings, cylinders and valve guides. Larry’s assessment revealed that in order to drive the car for a shake-down, it would need a new clutch, pressure plate, fuel pump, water pump and a little dialing in on the carburetors. We went ahead and followed his recommendation so that we could put a few miles on the car before we began the restoration. We put almost 300 miles on it in the Autumn of 2013. It also gave us a chance to grab some running footage of the Dino before complete disassembly. It was great to experience on the road - a real pleasure to drive this car.

Our blog has some more photos of the car and information about this Dino and DMD. Blog | The Dino Ferrari Project

Restoring more than just a car.
Attached Images

post #17 of 127 Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Surprised it did not need a new pair of cam chains, too.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 127 Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Moving the finish-line

Extending the finish-line during a race is frustrating. It's heartbreaking to families of Duchenne boys when it has to do with a drug to help slow the progression of the disease. Read the full article here Potential approval delayed for Sarepta's Duchenne drug; shares plunge - Boston Business Journal

The race is on to finish this Dino restoration and build a community of awareness around this deadly disease.

Help us end Duchenne. Follow us on Facebook.

The Dino Project
Attached Images

post #19 of 127 Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

The Art of Balance

Finding balance. There’s an art to that in life. There’s a real art to it when it comes to this project. An art we’re strive to achieve every day and with every post. At its core this is a car restoration project, complete with all the nuts and bolts that go along with a fine Concours restoration. Automotive restoration work is labor-intensive work. It’s hands-on, grubby, physical work, which doesn’t typically allow for a lot of time to be spent on documenting the work done to the car.

Married to the restoration progression in this project is the documentary process. Along with our work on the Dino we are carefully documenting each element of the work with photographs, video, sound, conversation.

Braided together with the restoration and documentation is the most important element in this project; and that is the cause. The Dino Ferrari sports cars will forever be linked to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD). It’s a fact we can’t escape as we work on this restoration. In telling the story of this restoration we would do a great disservice to its namesake, Alfredo “Dino” Ferrari, if we do not do all we can to help the families of children with this tragic disease and work to restore hope to the Duchenne boys of today.

We’ll do our best to balance our telling of this story. In the meantime, thank you for following our project and for becoming a member of this community of hope.

Attached Images

post #20 of 127 Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
3 years ago, my 8 year old godson was diagnosed with Duchenne MD. A crushing blow to his parents, family and loved ones.

As is usually the case with a tragedy, the inner beauty and humble humanity in each of us reveals itself when we are confronted with a grave challenge. I can see how the Dino Project could become much bigger and shine a much needed spotlight on this disease. MD is a deadly serious disease, with Duchenne being the worst and most lethal form. Dino Ferrari died of the disease at age 24, and countless boys have been taken before and after Dino's tragic death.

I hope you all will spread the word of this project, and join me in not only following the restoration of this car, but contribute in any way you can to the effort of raising funds and awareness of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

It is my humble opinion that Rosso Dino should remain the color of 5554. Somehow, when I see a before and after in different colors, it just doesn't seem like the same car. This car, more so resulting from the cause this car represents, I think the restoration of this car from its fallen state to renewed is a much more powerful metaphor to the effort to cure Duchenne's MD.

Whatever you decide, I am all in!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode