Dino war and peace - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Dino war and peace

Just a quick introduction and some history on the car. My father in law bought the car (04518) and carried out a full restoration using a well respected restorer in the UK. There were a few issues after this but nothing to suggest the restoration wasn't a good one.

As he lives abroad I took the car in a year or so ago and began to familiarise myself with it. I used Carrs in Exeter to look over the mechanicals which highlighted a couple of problems and this started alarm bells ringing. I started to look at the bodywork in more detail as you would your own car, and found quite a poor job was carried out. Iain (of the 4 dino stable!) also pointed to problems, so now it was looking like more than a few hours in a body shop to correct. Still, it was a good looking car, paint was good, trim was fine so shouldn't cost a great deal to correct?

Well, upon seeing Iain's restorations on here and in the Carrs workshop, I contacted Stallion body shop in Beeston. We put it on the truck and was carted off up north for Graham from Stallion to take a look. He attempted a couple of spray outs of colours that the car could be, but they were nowhere close. To be able to do any repair now, which required local painting, would be an issue. There was no paint recipe or at least a good starting point. I contacted the previous restorers who were less use than a chocolate teapot. This is a shop who has quite a reputation for restoring Dinos. They couldn't give me a colour code but they could send me a sample of paint. It never turned up. On talking to Matthias the car should be painted Celeste Metallizato 106-A-16, but the car looked a lot more blue and sometimes green. It appears the colour was an interpretation, as is didn't come close to any of the metallics.

Graham looked over the bodywork found other areas that sadly fell a long way short of what you would expect for a restored car. Panel gaps were huge and panels out of alignment. The engine cover and boot had about 3/4" gap in places and the wrong seal was used. Most of the seals were reused and looked like a rat had eaten them. It was an embarrassment.

The decision was made to repaint the car in Celeste Metallizato and correct bodywork problems. The pictures are below. The don't show how classy the car looks now. It has been elevated to another level. Panel gaps and shut lines are tight. There's still some work to do on the interior but it's getting there now. I'll update with better pictures in better light when the car is complete.

I would have no reservations on recommending Graham and Stallion in Beeston. A truly excellent job.

DSCF7833-Edit

DSCF7834-Edit

DSCF7835-Edit

DSCF7843-Edit

DSCF7856

Last edited by GarethExeter; 09-16-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 14 Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Graham's work is superb Gareth and your car look beautiful now. I spy Mr Dean in the 4th photo and his trim work is fantastic. He did my GTS which is currently down at Carrs so if you are passing by and haven't seen it I'm sure Harvey will let you have a look at Graham's interior work.

I need to watch as I'm giving myself too much competition in terms of properly restored Dinos after letting people know who did my cars

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT

post #4 of 14 Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
Graham's work is superb Gareth and your car look beautiful now. I spy Mr Dean in the 4th photo and his trim work is fantastic. He did my GTS which is currently down at Carrs so if you are passing by and haven't seen it I'm sure Harvey will let you have a look at Graham's interior work.

I need to watch as I'm giving myself too much competition in terms of properly restored Dinos after letting people know who did my cars
Iain, I see you F50 when reading your posts.....how is your ownership experience ?

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #5 of 14 Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Iain, I see you F50 when reading your posts.....how is your ownership experience ?
I don't want to hijack Gareth's thread but the F50 is currently in storage some distance away so I've no real experiences to report. I'm looking for a new house with enough space to store all my cars at present so I can use them.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

I think we were very fortunate Iain, that you blazed a trail! Interestingly, G. Dean did the original trim for the car, the seats, door cards, carpets. These were the only things of merit. He's going to redo the carpets in black as they were originally, boot carpet, dash and vinyl trims. I thought about redoing the seats but they have been done so well I couldn't bring myself to destroy Graham's work.

There are a couple of things I need to track down, an original ammeter as this was 'discarded' by the original restorers and replaced with a smiths clock. Totally unacceptable. And I think the clock is faulty.

I may have some time to pop down to Carrs on Friday so I'll give Mark a bell and try and take a look...no doubt it'll give me further ideas!
post #7 of 14 Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Owner

In my zeal to return everything to factory spec I think I've taught Graham at Stallion a few things such as the height of the lower satin blacking lines on early and late E series cars, correct types of seals around the cars, various finishes on items like the fuel tanks etc. He is a perfectionist so wanted to ensure everything was correct which is refreshing. Many bodyshops would just have done it how they wanted and not listened to their customer. It's been fun doing all the cars and getting to meet both Grahams whose work is superb.

If you struggle to find an ammeter drop either Matt or Marco Farbo at Re-Originals an email. They are showing one on their website Amp Gauge for Ferrari Dino. Amps and Ampere are... - N0253 Pasquale Coppola at Coppola Old Timer in Naples may also be able to help you with one. His email is [email protected]

post #8 of 14 Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #9 of 14 Old 09-17-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links Iain. Yes, I think when the restoration was first carried out there was perhaps a view with these, that as long as it doesn't look rusty, it'll do. The value of the cars means that every detail is now scrutinised. I do not have a huge experience of body shops but I do have a suspicion that most do not produce the results Graham can achieve. And in comparison to the poor job first carried out, his costs are very reasonable.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Owner

I think there are very people who turn out work to the standard that Graham and Jason at Stallion achieve Gareth

post #11 of 14 Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Owner

I mean to say there are very few people who turn out work to this standard.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Garage
I may have the internals for the ammeter,have found the 60Amp upgrade core
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
I may have the internals for the ammeter,have found the 60Amp upgrade core
Hi, I think I've tracked a complete unit down...I think! I'll be in touch if not. Many thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
I mean to say there are very few people who turn out work to this standard.
I got it It certainly makes life easier when you can rely on someone to do a job. It's a very rare thing these days.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode