Just a quick introduction and some history on the car. My father in law bought the car (04518) and carried out a full restoration using a well respected restorer in the UK. There were a few issues after this but nothing to suggest the restoration wasn't a good one.
As he lives abroad I took the car in a year or so ago and began to familiarise myself with it. I used Carrs in Exeter to look over the mechanicals which highlighted a couple of problems and this started alarm bells ringing. I started to look at the bodywork in more detail as you would your own car, and found quite a poor job was carried out. Iain (of the 4 dino stable!) also pointed to problems, so now it was looking like more than a few hours in a body shop to correct. Still, it was a good looking car, paint was good, trim was fine so shouldn't cost a great deal to correct?
Well, upon seeing Iain's restorations on here and in the Carrs workshop, I contacted Stallion body shop in Beeston. We put it on the truck and was carted off up north for Graham from Stallion to take a look. He attempted a couple of spray outs of colours that the car could be, but they were nowhere close. To be able to do any repair now, which required local painting, would be an issue. There was no paint recipe or at least a good starting point. I contacted the previous restorers who were less use than a chocolate teapot. This is a shop who has quite a reputation for restoring Dinos. They couldn't give me a colour code but they could send me a sample of paint. It never turned up. On talking to Matthias the car should be painted Celeste Metallizato 106-A-16, but the car looked a lot more blue and sometimes green. It appears the colour was an interpretation, as is didn't come close to any of the metallics.
Graham looked over the bodywork found other areas that sadly fell a long way short of what you would expect for a restored car. Panel gaps were huge and panels out of alignment. The engine cover and boot had about 3/4" gap in places and the wrong seal was used. Most of the seals were reused and looked like a rat had eaten them. It was an embarrassment.
The decision was made to repaint the car in Celeste Metallizato and correct bodywork problems. The pictures are below. The don't show how classy the car looks now. It has been elevated to another level. Panel gaps and shut lines are tight. There's still some work to do on the interior but it's getting there now. I'll update with better pictures in better light when the car is complete.
I would have no reservations on recommending Graham and Stallion in Beeston. A truly excellent job. DSCF7833-Edit DSCF7834-Edit DSCF7835-Edit DSCF7843-Edit DSCF7856