246 F1 Build? - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
 
monsterwrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
246 F1 Build?

Hello! If you've read my profile already, you'll know that I'm currently trying to build a Ferrari 246 F1… What I have planned for this car is an all hand build, aluminum body and maybe even a replica of the chassis. I'm only 14 right now , so I'm limited on money. Once I get a job and learn how to weld, you'll see more progress, But as of right now… I'd really appreciate some tips or such from my fellow Ferrari enthusiasts. Feel free to post here!
monsterwrc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Kevin- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Right now what I would be doing is collecting photos and books with the 246 so you have enough data for the build. That engine was the first to introduce the 65 degree V, IIRC, that was later adopted by the street Dino 206/246 and later used on the V12s, as well.

Doubt if it has much on the front engine F1 cars, but ferraridatabase.com has a lot of free Ferrari data.

Good news is the body and chassis were relatively simple, but the drivetrain was not. Perhaps possible to build a replica with a Fiat Dino 2.4 liter engine, since an original will be hard to find unless you have Ferrari build a new one.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
 
monsterwrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Right now what I would be doing is collecting photos and books with the 246 so you have enough data for the build. That engine was the first to introduce the 65 degree V, IIRC, that was later adopted by the street Dino 206/246 and later used on the V12s, as well.

Doubt if it has much on the front engine F1 cars, but ferraridatabase.com has a lot of free Ferrari data.

Good news is the body and chassis were relatively simple, but the drivetrain was not. Perhaps possible to build a replica with a Fiat Dino 2.4 liter engine, since an original will be hard to find unless you have Ferrari build a new one.
Thanks for the help Taz, since I am currently on break from school, I spent about 2 hours yesterday gathering information. If you have a google drive, I'd love to share it with you and get feedback on the progress I've made. I thought about the Drivetrain issue, since its an FR setup single seater… I will probably Mount it under the seat in the chassis somewhere or below the chassis. If you have anymore information on the 246 I'd love if you could share it, and if you feel a different Ferrari would be easier. If I can complete the research in good time, then I'll post it here on ferrarilife for future replicators.
monsterwrc is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Kevin- I have almost no info on the 246 since I sold all my Ferrari books 20 years or so in the past. We will be very happy to see what you come up with. I do not have a google drive. Us old farts are doing well just to use a PC.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
 
monsterwrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- I have almost no info on the 246 since I sold all my Ferrari books 20 years or so in the past. We will be very happy to see what you come up with. I do not have a google drive. Us old farts are doing well just to use a PC.
Alright, thanks for the help though, I'll post the info I found here tomorrow (or today, it depends when your viewing this- I also might just make a new thread) hopefully my information will help people in the future with the same desire as me.
monsterwrc is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
 
monsterwrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Chassis?

Alright so, I feel pretty confident about my data, but the one thing that is still bugging me is the chassis. How am i going to build it? Should I design my own, or should I use the design of something along the lines of a Lotus 18?

-Kevin
"If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear."
Ayrton Senna
monsterwrc is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Kevin- Chassis is pretty simple welded up steel tubing so a good repro should be possible. See if you can find one of the Exoto exposed chassis models as a good guideline.

Exoto XS 1958 Ferrari Dino 246 F1 Rolling Chassis 1 18 GPC97210Z | eBay

Also, Ferrari Classiche in Maranello likely has all the chassis drawings, not that they are too good about sharing.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
 
monsterwrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Kevin- Chassis is pretty simple welded up steel tubing so a good repro should be possible. See if you can find one of the Exoto exposed chassis models as a good guideline.

Exoto XS 1958 Ferrari Dino 246 F1 Rolling Chassis 1 18 GPC97210Z | eBay

Also, Ferrari Classiche in Maranello likely has all the chassis drawings, not that they are too good about sharing.
Thanks again. Sadly I don't have the money to purchase a model of the chassis so I'm stuck with using something different. Maybe I could use the design from Gordon Murray's Rocket… but the fault in that is its a 2 seater tandem and it has a rear engine rear drive layout.. if you have anymore ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks so much for all the help.

-Kevin
"If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear."
Ayrton Senna
monsterwrc is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
 
monsterwrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
new car?

Instead of the 246 would a 166mm be easier to build? After all it is a 2 seater and it seems simpler.

-Kevin
"If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear."
Ayrton Senna
monsterwrc is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale