Restoration of 1973 USA F&C Dino #05702 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
Restoration of 1973 USA F&C Dino #05702

I've owned Dino #05702 for 19 years and now it is time to do a restoration on it.
I'm the second owner of a factory original Chairs and Flares Dino
Here are some early photos from Film camera days, notice the 1994 FCA International meet sticker #54 on the windshield
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Absolutely love the Dino. The light in your second picture captures its flowing lines perfectly.

What's the plan for the restoration? Mechanical, bodywork, interior (all of the above)?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 78 Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Check out the blog ( 246 Dino blog ). The work going into this car is amazing. We are doing the mechanical on the car. Great story from start to finish.
Thanks
Alex.

post #4 of 78 Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX A View Post
Check out the blog ( 246 Dino blog ). The work going into this car is amazing. We are doing the mechanical on the car. Great story from start to finish.
Thanks
Alex.
Rob and Paul's work is extensive and professional. I've been hesitant to post photos in light of such comparative craftsmanship, but will press forward on an a nuts and bolts restoration
post #5 of 78 Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
French Connection on a USA version car via Chinetti? Dino and I same B-DAY

When I originally bought the Dino and got it home, I noticed that the passenger's seat wobbled and found it was loose at the rear, inboard seat track mounting point. The allen bolt had become loose and jammed. When I pulled back the carpet and insulation padding to investigate I found this 1972 French 5 Centimes coin there. This was peculiar since my Dino is a USA version.

Fast forward a few months later, I was ordering some parts from Algar in PA and was chatting with a very nice man in their Parts Dept, Livio "Li" Ramani. At one point in the conversation Li mentioned that he might be able to get my original delivery sheet. Apparently Algar had retained the records from Chinetti when they bought out his facility. This sounded great and a few weeks later, I received a pleasant surprise in the mail, the delivery sheet below. This was very cool, but when I looked closer at the delivery papers I noticed the original owner had taken delivery on the exact day of the same month as my 15th Birthday. In a way, the Dino and I have the same birthday!

We continued talking and I relayed to him the experience with the seat track and finding the French coin in my USA car. Li had a simple explanation; that Chinetti often took delivery of Ferraris at the factory in Italy and drove them himself to the delivery port in France where they would be shipped to the USA. Luigi got a mini vacation and his business saved on trucking costs. Li conjectured that perhaps at some toll booth or when he had change in his trousers this coin had fallen out and gotten lost as it wedged itself under the insulation near the seat track.

Oh my, could Luigi Chinetti really been the first driver of my Dino?
Attached Images

post #6 of 78 Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
When I bought the Dino from Symbollic in San Diego, it came with no books (is anyone here surprised?) and in the early 1990's, those pre-internet days offered few options to find these; fellow club members, Ken at Ferrari Literature, and Fred Repass were the basic options. I found a nice set from Fred Repass who claimed it was the best set he had ever seen and he charged accordingly for it (not that far off from today's prices).

As we were talking about it he mentioned that he would be seeing his old friend Luigi Chinettin Sr. at the end of the month and offered to have him autograph my new owner's manual. I balked and said "No way, why have someone write in a book that expensive?" Fred retorted with full explanation of the Chinetti importation of Ferraris into the US and I still declined not wanting to scar a pristine, original manual. He mentioned the offer a third time adding that "history of Ferraris in America are due to Chinetti".

I thought about it and observed that he had repeated the offer three times; obviously this was a man who had a far broader perspective of Ferrari involvement than I. After re-thinking the offer I agreed. A few weeks later I received the pouch, contents and signed owner's manual that you see in the photo.

I was shocked and saddened just a few months later when I heard that Chenetti Sr. had passed on and I still have several Autoweek magazine articles about it.
Attached Images

post #7 of 78 Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Scott- Great story and I remember buying from both Ken and Fred in the 70s. FAF had some literature out edited by Roush before the FML started in 1976, and there were ads in various mags and the predecessor of Autoweek, but not much else. Kirk White did a newsletter, too.

How is the restoration coming?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 78 Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
After driving to Monterey with the Ferrari Club I picked up the #54 ID sticker for the Rally event and placed it on the front windshield.
I continued participating in numerous events and started to really enjoy the aspects of the Dino. Driving it was just so much fun!
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 07-01-2013 at 08:41 PM.
post #9 of 78 Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
The problem started with the right front brake, either the caliper hung or brake line swelled so I started to dive into it to sort this out.

Look at the uneven wear on the brake pads
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 07-01-2013 at 08:47 PM.
post #10 of 78 Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
This proved to be a slippery slope as this revealed the worn suspension bushings, sloppy steering, and dirt everywhere. Lots to do, but where to stop?
Attached Images

post #11 of 78 Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
What a great story. I think you made the right decision - You can always get another unsigned book, but you can nver get another signed one.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #12 of 78 Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
So I've been sandbagging and delayed in posting photos, let's catch up on this at the point where the suspension had been removed.

To go down the slippery slope further I saw this Dino owner on the 'Net that had dissassembled his Dino completely for restoration, removing the fiberglas tubs down to a chassis and body only.
Made it look easy, too easy
and since I'm the second owner, it is a documented Flares & Chairs car and the original owner took delivery on the exact day/month/year of my fifteenth birthday, so this car is quite special to me and deserves a bit more than the standard refurb.
Attached Images

post #13 of 78 Old 01-03-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Absolutely love the Dino. The light in your second picture captures its flowing lines perfectly.
What's the plan for the restoration? Mechanical, bodywork, interior (all of the above)?
Thanks, that photo was taken along the Oregon Coast in August 1994 on the way to Monterey. I really enjoy driving this car, the perspective, the feel, the sound, and the shear freedom.

The slippery slope sets in and the plan for this is to go all the way. This will be a "nuts and bolts" restoration, removing every ounce of lead in the body, 100% restoration down to the chassis tube ovals.

First step, disassemble everything.
Remove the hydraulic, heating, A/C cooling, and ventilation systems
Attached Images

post #14 of 78 Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Scott, sorry for jumping in so late and for not realizing your wonderful thread !

I can just "feel" your utter satisfaction and bond with a spectacular no stories Dino of yours ! So great to see an owner in such harmony with his Dino. (But then, many Dino owners are in the same bunch).

Please keep us entertained with your sagas and restoration updates. Thanx in advance.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #15 of 78 Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
The Dino books show the fabrication sequence was to produce the tubular chassis, insert the fiberglas tubs front/center/rear, and then mount the body.
Attached Images

post #16 of 78 Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
This makes removing the fiberglass a somewhat difficult process, I had to use my foot in the front area over the lip.
Attached Images

post #17 of 78 Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Removing all the fiberglass tubs, floorpans and wiring
Attached Images

post #18 of 78 Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
The rear trunk has three layers above the exhaust system