Restoration of 1973 USA F&C Dino #05702 - Page 4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 78 Old 12-02-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 786
Garage
Fusebox parts removed for plating and back for the electrical restoration
I took this photo after I started wiping it down so it was actually the prior owners overspray was worse than what you see.
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 12-02-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Restored
Attached Images

post #63 of 78 Old 12-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,839
Going through your thread again and noted that the paint and leather color codes were reversed on your certificate. Something else to add a little interest to the story. 8500 is still the code Ferrari uses for nero leather.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #64 of 78 Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Another sub task was the wheels; stripped, primed, painted and sealed.
Quite a bit of effort was expended on the color
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 12-04-2015 at 12:19 PM.
post #65 of 78 Old 12-04-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Going through your thread again and noted that the paint and leather color codes were reversed on your certificate. Something else to add a little interest to the story. 8500 is still the code Ferrari uses for nero leather.
Good catch, we were playing around with an editor, here is the original.
Attached Images

post #66 of 78 Old 12-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Makes sense.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #67 of 78 Old 12-05-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Makes sense.
Thank goodness you didn't ask why we were mucking around with it!

A year+ after getting this Certificate for free, Ferrari got wise and started the Classiche Certification at a cost of $5,000.00.
post #68 of 78 Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Good timing. For my 575M, definitely not worth $5000. Plus they would frown on my non-OEM ceramic brakes by Mov'It.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #69 of 78 Old 12-05-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
The restored fuse box was difficult to photograph,
here they are returning from plating
Attached Images

post #70 of 78 Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I'm completely crazy because I'm restoring the original ANSA exhaust system. I'm sure this was delivered with Dino 05702 over 43 years ago so I have a real attachment and would like to restore it back to original.
The first problem is that two of the tips have had twin slits cut in them. Asking the Old Timers around here we were stumped and the closest explanation is that the early 308 cars had an exhaust "whistle" and slicing the tips was a way to reduce that noise.

But this is a 246 not a 308. In any case a fill repair is done, prep and then the first layer, copper.

Hence the conflict ensues with the first step to cut off the tips and have them chromed with all efforts stopped in the Nickel Tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 02-19-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #71 of 78 Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Plating old exhaust tips is really tricky

I had a very lengthy time getting chrome on these tips. The plater seemed to be so busy that my lot would sit for months and my calls, emails and texts were not frequent but never answered. The estimate of completiion was 6 weeks from Sept, which came and went with no chrome.

I finally just showed up at the platers and talked with the Boss, the owner's son. Aparrently the carbon exhaust buildup in the tips will kill their Nickel tank and we agreed that i should hot tank these which I did 3 times for over 4 hours in heated solvent cleaner.

Returning back, the owner's son inspected and accepted them. A few months later, no calls or status so I went down to the plating shop again. Apparently the Plater who was actually doing the work disagreed with the owner's son and still thought there was carbon because he heard rattling inside the resonator tip compartment.

They returned the tips to me and I drilled out much of the rear to give access so I could sandblast the inner resonator cavity.

Returning to the plater, they sat on his desk for months with no calls returned.

Again, I just show up and the platers are stumped as they still think this will contaminate their Nickel tank and don't want to do tyhe plating. I'm starting to see a trend here.

Finally I suggest through bolts and sealing both ends. I ask the Plating shop owner's son and he agrees. I suggest washers and a sealant, perhaps RTV and he confirms that is OK. I seal them up and return them, only to wait more months to hear nothing....
Attached Images

post #72 of 78 Old 02-21-2016, 05:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Fantastic thread! It will be exciting to see the result so good luck further on!

Jack
post #73 of 78 Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Another 2 months and no response so I just drop in to the platers and apparently the guy who really does the plating said Silicon causes fisheyes. I pick them up and go tend to that.

I remove all the silicon exposed through-bolts, washers and wing nuts and I toss them then buy new ones, along with large rubber stoppers to fashion end plugs. I clean the tips as best I can to remove all RTV residue and take them back to the plater with new hardware and rubber plugs.

Then I wait another 2 months.... so gather the manifolds to prep for ceramic coating
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 02-21-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #74 of 78 Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
I had a very lengthy time getting chrome on these tips. The plater seemed to be so busy that my lot would sit for months and my calls, emails and texts were not frequent but never answered. The estimate of completiion was 6 weeks from Sept, which came and went with no chrome.

I finally just showed up at the platers and talked with the Boss, the owner's son. Aparrently the carbon exhaust buildup in the tips will kill their Nickel tank and we agreed that i should hot tank these which I did 3 times for over 4 hours in heated solvent cleaner.

Returning back, the owner's son inspected and accepted them. A few months later, no calls or status so I went down to the plating shop again. Apparently the Plater who was actually doing the work disagreed with the owner's son and still thought there was carbon because he heard rattling inside the resonator tip compartment.

They returned the tips to me and I drilled out much of the rear to give access so I could sandblast the inner resonator cavity.

Returning to the plater, they sat on his desk for months with no calls returned.

Again, I just show up and the platers are stumped as they still think this will contaminate their Nickel tank and don't want to do tyhe plating. I'm starting to see a trend here.

Finally I suggest through bolts and sealing both ends. I ask the Plating shop owner's son and he agrees. I suggest washers and a sealant, perhaps RTV and he confirms that is OK. I seal them up and return them, only to wait more months to hear nothing....

I get the tips back, remove the through-bolts, washers and wing nuts then discard these as Silicon contaminted (hey, I did ask first...) buy new and along with new rubber stoppers seal them up, then return them to the platers.

The tips sit on the platers desk for months...no chrome

I asked a friend and found a much more accomodating shop, go pick up my tips and have them back and done in a little over a week at a much lower cost
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 02-24-2016 at 10:17 AM.
post #75 of 78 Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 399
Wow! Wonderful! This is the car I was going to buy in the late 1990s and then we had the dot com implosion. Never get tired of looking at it. Can't wait for the debut and thank you for the insights.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #76 of 78 Old 02-24-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
To get the tips welded back on I must first install the exhaust on the car and trial size them. I've indexed the ends so this is easy for Randy at Group 2 who came to my house to tack weld at confirmed install point and then finish with running weld topside.

The newly chromed tips are on and now off to ceramic coating!
Attached Images

post #77 of 78 Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
During Preparation for ceramic coating I noted a couple of OEM writing installation directions on the exhaust. Pretty cool stuff.

The first pass of the blaster found some difficult areas of thin 43 year old metal, so we need to tend to those. Lather, rinse, repeat.

True to form as in all aspects of this restoration I will try and save everything original so we are welding up the old pipes. This requires I convince the welder that the unit is worth saving! LOL - quite a sales pitch is required in some cases. Money helps too.
Attached Images

post #78 of 78 Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Finished coating, now ready for red tape lines and tip interior paint
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode