Dino DIY - The dreaded accelerator cable failure - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Garage
Dino DIY - The dreaded accelerator cable failure

The Dino accelerator cable is a known failure point after substantial use or extended periods of storage where it can develop kinks leading to breaking. In my case it was the former albeit at the worst possible time and this happened to me late one spring night after a filming session for Stephen Mitchell's Elysee Group (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1s2iHEL7vs).

Post session with Kira (Kira Gurnée - Actress . Model . Host . Voiceover Actress) and I had decided to continue running Dino 05082 further up the canyons on Mullholland culminating in a nice Thai dinner in Malibu. Truth be told I would have continued to Santa Barbara as long as she was in the car. Her cafe racer motorcycle background fit in exactly where driving a Dino lies and she was someone who immediately "got" the Dino. Balance and proportion reigned supremely when she was in the Dino.

After a nice dinner I dropped her off and headed back to Laguna Beach. Revelling in the feeling of a wonderful day I drove on.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Scott- Definitely not a new problem (cable breaking, not the lady) because it happened to me in 1976. Solution is to jam the throttle open to 2000-3000 rpm and drive her home. Cable is easy to change, but a pain to adjust. Easy to change on mine because I blew off the belly pan in West Texas at 135 mph. Removing the belly pan is a pain unless you do it the way I did it.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Indeed, not a new problem. It would have been great if my initiation was as nice as yours, Scott !!! Nice dinner, nice roads, nice partner, and beautiful sunset as always in LA.

Lviing in a congested metropolis as Tokyo/ Yokohama basin and used mainly for commuting, ...coming home from work, driving out of Tokyo on a tollway with heavy traffic, trailers, and trucks .....I was travelling south, soon after a toll booth heading into one of the long tunnels that run below the bay, ...it happened ! A tunnel like such is made in a way that as you enter it, it is downhill and at midway or so it turns uphill as you exit since you are travelling beneath the sea water.

As I passed a toll booth and entered the tunnel, going downhill ...soon I noticed a strange sensation in my right foot. Did my muscle snapped ? Could not feel the pressure ! Lo and behold, the pedal was flat, all the way down to the floor and noticed the car was simply moving by inertia. That may not be such an problem if you were happily going down Mulholland or some other open roads. It is a serious problem if you are in a tunnel, with heavy traffic, no hazard lights on board (this is an early Tipo L model ) and worst of all, you can see Big trucks behind you in the mirror, heading your way,...and it was evening.

Well, one lucky thing was that I was going downhill, which means that inertia was on my side, .... my Dino was "coasting down" , but slowing to a standstill also. I was desperately looking for somekind of emergency side lane or pocket to pull in !!! Mind you that all of this happening within 30 seconds or so. Luck was on my side. I located a tiny pocket (space) where I could stop the car for my life ! The only problem was whether the inertia would last that long as the car was decelerating fast. Whew ! Made it by luck as she crawled into that space as trucks and cars zoomed by.

If that cabled snapped as I was going uphill, the outcome would have been quite different and probably not a very pleasant outcome to say the least.

So there, as a Dino owner, it happens for sure, only a matter of when and where.

So Scott, think of yourself as a blessed soul for your predicament. I did not have such a nice massenger with me at the time !!!

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 08-12-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling correction

post #4 of 15 Old 08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jimmy, Scott- It would probably be easy to design a small insert that would jam the throttle open for the driver when the cable (like Jimmy said, not if, but when) snaps. I forget what I used to jam mine open, but those were the days when I always had my own tool kit with me. Do not do that any more.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Oh my, got busy for Monterey and forgot to follow up.

As I made it to Irvine and turned South on HWY 133 there were three stop lights before reaching home. I knew them well. What I didn't know was the dead pedal feeling at the first one, barely able to coast off to the side in a turnout off the road.

Opening up the engine I could see the accel cable loose and easily slackening.

Pulling it out I thought just as Terry did - use my vice grips to clamp it at 3000 RPM and limp home.

Turns out the movement is very sensitive to position and the vice grip clamp closed down too much and high revs resulted. I just couldn't get the clamp to attain 3000 rpm or close to it
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Scott- Easy way to do it. I forget how I did it.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
It gets better ...

Never say die.

Pulling on the cable showed the break occurred far forward of the engine compartment
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Attaching it at the end of the throttle rail and checking length for cabin.
Deciding the rub would bee too much, I lined the paint with duct tape.

So now I needed to control three things with my two hands; the steering, gear shift and throttle and all the while keep telling my foot not to hit the accelerator peddle when shifting - LOL

I found it easiest to use my left hand and attempt a constant throttle and steer with the right hand in a strange crossover style until I could get home and properly work on it
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 08-21-2012 at 12:41 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Ingenuity at best !

Amazing that you have those vital items with you in need of time too.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
05082 is a great driver and I've gone a lot of miles so over the years I have developed a Spares Kit that fits in a box under the right rear fender trunk storage cut in.
The accelerator cable is always in it.
Attached Images

post #11 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Scott- Looks like a Schedoni battery charger bag would be just about perfect for carrying those tools and spares and would look right at home back there.

Never mind, they used to be ~$300, now they are $632. Ouch.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #12 of 15 Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Terry, yes the factory chargers are gorgeous and Schedoni items are always the most elaborate.

For this Dino 05082 (I have two: 05702, 05082) it is a driver and I am very practical so want reliability plus value. I have found that the Pacific Battery Minder has been great
Battery Minder, BatteryMinder Battery Chargers $45
It is a fraction of the cost of the Schedoni/CTEK and has the desulphation mode.

I use the Costco fitment group 9 batteries and love them. During my 2007 alternator oil soaking-shorting analysis and resolution the battery depleted twice. After a day on the 6AMP charger I then placed it on the Battery Minder, each time it was back to maintenance mode within a day and fully operational and was so for 4 more years. This includes 4+ trips up/down the West Coast and I only replaced it due to age.

A friend has the 575 SuperAmerica factory charger and Alfa 8C factory charger (CTEK in the Schedoni leather case), sorry to hear that each of his had a recent factory recall for replacement.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Scott- I was talking about just the case for your tools and spares, not including the optional Zivan battery charger that came with the optional charger kit. The Zivans have been pretty unreliable and the kits, even used, are way too expensive.

The CTEK chargers are available for $69.95 at most retailers and have been very reliable. I have a CTEK for my car, inside one of the Schedoni cases, bought when they were cheap.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #14 of 15 Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Scott- I was talking about just the case for your tools and spares, not including the optional Zivan battery charger that came with the optional charger kit. The Zivans have been pretty unreliable and the kits, even used, are way too expensive.

The CTEK chargers are available for $69.95 at most retailers and have been very reliable. I have a CTEK for my car, inside one of the Schedoni cases, bought when they were cheap.
You mean like the 550 or 360 tool kits - Were those still Schedoni?

Scott
post #15 of 15 Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Scott- Affirmative, the Zivan battery charger case and the 360 and 575 tool kits were still the beautiful tan Schedoni leather.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode