Parts Source For Damaged 1972 Dino 246 GT - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Parts Source For Damaged 1972 Dino 246 GT

Hi everyone. I hope someone out there can assist me in finding some parts for my 246 GT that was rear-ended last year. The repair facility was unable to locate a Left/Rear Body Panel, Trunk Lower and Upper Panels, and various other parts. They ended up pulling out the Left/Rear Body Panel and found a Rear Panel and Lower Valance ( it's new, but, it's a little rough for a new part). They are having a difficult time locating the Front and Rear Exhaust Headers and the Muffler System. They ordered the USA model, but, I think they received the European Model because the pipe that extends under the rear axle is straight and sits very close to the axle. The USA model has a noticeable bend away from the axle to accommodate the added covering on the pipe.
I've owned this car since 1980 and I've always been very careful while driving it. I never thought someone would be searching for something on the passenger's seat and drove right into the rear of my car. I live on the island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii and I had to ship the car to a repair facility on the Island of Hawaii because they were the only facility that had a frame machine with a jig that could properly measure the frame for any damage. Luckily, there was no damage to the main frame. I would really appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide in helping me to find the Exhaust Headers for the USA model 1972 Dino 246 GT. I've included some photos I took with my phone before the insurance adjuster came to look at the damage.
Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Hawaii 5-0
Bevin Nishimura

1972 Dino 246 GT LHD 40,000 miles Color: Marrone Dino Metallizzato
Purchased: 1980

Sorry, I thought I could upload the photos from my computer. I'll try again later.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Sorry to hear that. will make some inquiries, but that roof compression has me thinking how lucky no main frame damage.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
HOLY CRAP IS THAT A 275GTS BEHIND THE DINO

...regaining composure ...

ahem, why isn't that a lovely pair of open top cars

post #4 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Owner

Garage
The color is fantastic!

I might be able to help. Do you need only the rear USA exhaust manifold?
The Euro will not work as the USA had 2" spacers for air injection blocks.

I have found that Dino body panels vary from car to car so finding exact replacement panels is difficult at best. I just went through this metalwork for restoring 05702. Dennison International near Seattle WA did the work fairly and expertly. Saw many other vintage Ferraris there while under work, including the Ferrari that sold for $16 Million TR prototype 0666. They have a complete laser flat jig and two Dinos in the shop to compare.

I cannot recommend them enough but you are on an island.

Last edited by USADino; 06-20-2012 at 07:33 PM.
post #5 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Owner

TAZ we need your input.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #6 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rik! That's why no other body shop wanted to touch this repair. They feared some frame damage and they didn't have the proper frame equipment and the proper jig to check the frame. Both my mechanic and I looked under the car and didn't think the main frame had been touched. The rear frame extension that braces against the rear body panel was crushed along with the trunk floor and muffler. After the frame was checked, it was still at factory specs, so, I was very fortunate. My car was shipped to Auto Body Hawaii in the town of Kona on the island of Hawaii. It's about a forty minute flight from Oahu. I visited my car last month and I really liked what I saw at their facility. It is definitely one of the nicest shop with top notch equipment and a staff to match. Here's a link to their website: Auto Body Hawaii - Quality Collision Repair in Kailua Kona and the surrounding areas
post #7 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
The color is fantastic!

I might be able to help. Do you need only the rear USA exhaust manifold?
The Euro will not work as the USA had 2" spacers for air injection blocks.

I have found that Dino body panels vary from car to car so finding exact replacement panels is difficult at best. I just went through this metalwork for restoring 05702. Dennison International near Seattle WA did the work fairly and expertly. Saw many other vintage Ferraris there while under work, including the Ferrari that sold for $16 Million TR prototype 0666. They have a complete laser flat jig and two Dinos in the shop to compare.

I cannot recommend them enough but you are on an island.
Actually, I need both the front and the rear exhaust headers plus the Ansa muffler system. I really like that color too! In fact, I was able to find the color code of the color from this site. The color is Marrone Dino Metallizzato #106-M-73 . There's a lot of useful info on this site. Any assistance you may be able to provide will be appreciated. If you need to contact me, you can email me at: [email protected] . Thank you again for your help.
post #8 of 70 Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
HOLY CRAP IS THAT A 275GTS BEHIND THE DINO

...regaining composure ...

ahem, why isn't that a lovely pair of open top cars
I really can't tell you what that red car was as I was still in shock when I took the photos. I had to go to the emergency room to have my neck checked out, so, I'm a little hazy on the details of the photos. This was taken at my mechanic's shop, so, it's possible!
post #9 of 70 Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bevin- Believe that is a Fiat 124 Spider or one of its derivatives.

You might try Superperformance in the UK and Tom Shaughnessy might know of a source, although he has closed his shop. Superperformance has headers and exhaust systems, but they are for the Euro version. Might be worth a call. Dinos are worth so much now, they get restored instead of parted, so it is getting tougher to find used parts. Good news is they are worth more now, so people are making parts for them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dino 206 246 Superperformance Parts Catalog.pdf (2.85 MB, 641 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 70 Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Owner

Might, and I know this is a long shot, would the FIAT version have the correct headers?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #11 of 70 Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Rik- No, they are completely different because the Dino 246 is a sidewinder and the Fiat Dinos were north-southers. My Fiat Dino 2400 GT had a conventional dual exhaust with a tailpipe on each side and widely spread outlets. You can see the starboard tailpipe at the rear of the car.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 70 Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Owner

Garage
Good news bad news.

I may have an extra USA rear header. The compound curves were created using butt welds on curved pieces and some of the factory welds were offset so sloppy that it looked too ugly for my restoration and deemed cosmetically inferior to another I found. You can see butt welds on a different Dino's exhaust to give you an idea how poor they normally look
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/di...tml#post137109

Bad new is that I just went through metalwork decisions in restoring my USA Dino and what I found is that modern repair guys, just like you spoke to, all want modern repair techniques using standard Jigs or reliable factory measurements. I found no claims that jigs exist for USA cars or factory measurements and I have to be respectively skeptical on your body shop claiming they have them. My guess is they're just going to pull and make everything symmetrical, but that can produce good results too.

For my restoration I wanted every piece of chassis metal straight and every exposed underbody that had been dinged or dented by careless floor jacks restored to factory looking new. My car even had underbody speed bump scraping from 1980's when low profile tires were THE performance upgrade to the Dino. As a result. the rear valence cross brace on mine had acurve so they replaced it with the correct metric tubing. I have a lot of photos to post of the restoration that I need to get to, but here is a pic of the jig.

Dennison Internation charged $78/hr for this and used their laser flat floor jig to ensure complete alignment. I brought several painters to see/bid paint for the car claim and each claimed it was a work of art. When metal chassis had to be replaced, Butch, Dennis and Will at Dennison used the correct ones including metric tubing for the valence cross brace (looks damaged in yours). They have a Dino in for repair now that was in a compression crunch also.

The second photo show the chassis area on my restoration in the rear valence section where I see yours was hit. This area will have to be repaired on yours. These are special cars, the chassis metal square tubes on yours have had a lot of energy imparted to deform them. Simply pulling on square tubes destroys their strength. I would be surprised if standard repair techniques could be used.

Scott
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 06-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.
post #13 of 70 Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I thought I would post some of the photos I took of my Dino while I was visiting my car last month. This is where the repairs are at while we're waiting for the new front and rear exhaust headers and the muffler system. The Left Rear Quarter Panel was pulled and roughed out to this point. This reduced the buckling on the roof panel and reduced the pressure that was on the rear window glass. The luggage lid had buckled from the impact and they were able to straighten it. They wanted to have the original luggage lid in place so they could line up the quarter panels and the new rear body panel to it. On the work table, you can see the rear valance cross brace that was constructed from square tubing.
Attached Images

post #14 of 70 Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 AM
Owner

5-O. You have a PM

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 70 Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Owner

Garage
Well, you didn't say that the Dino was already on a jig ... and it looks like good things are progressing!

There are several folks I go to for such parts:

GT Car Parts in Phoenix has several Dino they're parting out
623.780-2200 [email protected]

Specialized Italian Recycling
Used Italian car parts & repairables

Dennis McCann has a Euro
Ferrari Parts List - Dennis McCann's All Ferrari Parts Inc. www.allferrariparts.com

Jacques at Maserati Source
Maseratisource Home Page
Just sold a Stainless steel exhaust for low price

I REALLY enjoy my Tubi Competition exhaust and would recommend it on any Dino.
post #16 of 70 Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, you didn't say that the Dino was already on a jig ... and it looks like good things are progressing!

There are several folks I go to for such parts:

GT Car Parts in Phoenix has several Dino they're parting out
623.780-2200 [email protected]

Specialized Italian Recycling
Used Italian car parts & repairables

Dennis McCann has a Euro
Ferrari Parts List - Dennis McCann's All Ferrari Parts Inc. www.allferrariparts.com

Jacques at Maserati Source
Maseratisource Home Page
Just sold a Stainless steel exhaust for low price

I REALLY enjoy my Tubi Competition exhaust and would recommend it on any Dino.
Thanks SCM246,
I will pass these sources over to the repair shop. hopefully they'll be able to find some of the parts they need to continue with the repairs. Have you ordered any parts from Superformance UK? I've heard that they don't have a lot of the parts that are listed and priced on their website.
Hawaii 5-0
post #17 of 70 Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Hawaii 5-0, .... sorry to hear of the accident, but then, we thank you for sharing this with us.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #18 of 70 Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Hawaii 5-0, .... sorry to hear of the accident, but then, we thank you for sharing this with us.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy. No one ever thinks that it could happen, but, that's why it's called an "accident." Everyone at this forum has been very supportive and helpful with possible parts sources for my Dino. I was very fortunate that I had the back headrest on my seat, as I feel it helped reduced the whiplash when my head snapped backward at impact. My mechanic asked me if I ever checked to see if the headrest support rods were bent or not. I never thought about it and forgot to look at them when I visited my car last month. I will be sure to check on my next visit.

Hawaii 5-0
post #19 of 70 Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Thank you Jimmy. No one ever thinks that it could happen, but, that's why it's called an "accident." Everyone at this forum has been very supportive and helpful with possible parts sources for my Dino. I was very fortunate that I had the back headrest on my seat, as I feel it helped reduced the whiplash when my head snapped backward at impact. My mechanic asked me if I ever checked to see if the headrest support rods were bent or not. I never thought about it and forgot to look at them when I visited my car last month. I will be sure to check on my next visit.

Hawaii 5-0
Unfortunately, these things happen. Lucky you were okay and Dino did not suffer worse damage. Looking at this positively, you get the opportunity to refresh and make your Dino even better, even tho it already looked so nice. Looking forward to the final outcome.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #20 of 70 Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Thanks SCM246,
I will pass these sources over to the repair shop. hopefully they'll be able to find some of the parts they need to continue with the repairs. Have you ordered any parts from Superformance UK? I've heard that they don't have a lot of the parts that are listed and priced on their website.
Hawaii 5-0
I have bought many parts for the Dino from Superformance and Dinoparts.de and were overall great experiences but have had a few parts off from both. Some surprises. In the end postage costs wash out any return effort.

I inquired about seats/leather and they did not have them onsite and took weeks to get back to me answering a question on them. Obviously an outsourced product and have found local to be more correct too.

Your focus is probably on the body panels and we saw these too. Thinking it was a way to quicken the restoration process then that would maks sense, but they're anticipating that every Dino part is interchangable and They are not. Scaglietti stamped a body number on all the pieces that go together for that car to keep them together as a fit set.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode