Parts Source For Damaged 1972 Dino 246 GT - Page 3 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 70 Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Jimmy,

I had stiffness in my neck area and in my upper back. I think the thing that saved me from more serious damage was that the back part of the driver's seat (with the headrest) actually bent backwards about twenty to thirty degrees from the impact. I think that when the seat frame bent, it absorbed a lot of the G Force from the impact.
And yes, there are a lot of inconsiderate drivers on the road these days. Everyone is in a big rush to get wherever they're going. But, we live on an island!!! You don't save a lot of time because you don't travel very far to get to your destination. And I always drive defensively. But, what can you do when someone just drives into you when you're at a complete stop???

Hawaii 5-0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 70 Old 06-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
246 Dino pars

Hi I need air box for 246 Dino 1973 and need air injection block front altrinater braket California.
Sal 818 422 9253 [email protected]
post #43 of 70 Old 06-20-2015, 09:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Hi I need air box 246 Dino and air injection block front for California car. Sal 818 422 9253 [email protected]

post #44 of 70 Old 09-12-2015, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

So sorry for such a late reply to your question, but, I haven't been on the forum for a while as I've been trying to get my car repaired and back on the road. Unfortunately, I don't know of any original used parts, but, I have purchased part for my Dino from GT Parts in Arizona (very knowledgeable about Dino parts) and Superformance in England. I would definitely try GT Parts first.

Hawaii 5-0
post #45 of 70 Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Dino Is Still Under Repair!!!

Here is the latest update in my long journey in getting my damage Dino repaired and back on the road. It's been fifty months since the body shop received my Dino, so, I thought I would post a few photos of it in its current state.
Attached Images

post #46 of 70 Old 09-12-2015, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

The driver's side engine lid drip tray was lost from the accident and I have had one crafted by Dennison Motorsport in Washington State. The problem is I now need to find a replacement Vehicle Emission Control Information Plate that was riveted to the bottom of that drip tray. Does any company produce a reproduction of the USA model Vehicle Emission Control Information Plate plate? Or, does anyone know of a used plate that is for sale? I completely forgot about this item until I visited my Dino a few weeks ago and saw the new plate and realized that the Vehicle Emission Control Information Plate was missing. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Hawaii 5-0
post #47 of 70 Old 09-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 847
Garage
I have an extra dated 1974, but you should go to thesource for best prices and probably the source for many retailers, too. Parker is a long time Pebble Beach Ferrari judge but shuns email and websites for his stuff, so you must phone:

Kilimanjaro Designs, Ltd.
Parker Hall
940 Warrenton Rd.
Vicksburg, MS 39180
(601) 638-7856

Last edited by USADino; 09-13-2015 at 09:17 PM.
post #48 of 70 Old 09-14-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Scott,

Thank you Scott for the referral.I will call Mr. Hall and see if I can order the information plate that I need. I hope that your Dinos are up and on the road as they should be . As for my Dino, it's fifty months and counting and I don't know if I'm ever going to get it back on the road . This is an extremely frustrating situation, but, I'll just have to see what happens. I really have no other choice. Oh well, that's life. At least the mileage on the car is still low (since it has move very far in the past four plus years) .
Anyway, thanks again for the information .

Hawaii 5-0
post #49 of 70 Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

My Dino Is Finally painted!!!

They finally put some paint on my Dino!!!! I'm posting some photos that the body shop sent to me after they applied the color coats and the initial clearcoat finish. They informed me that they would wait a few days then color sand the entire car and apply the "Glamour Clearcoat" finish. These photos are of the initial clearcoat. I will post photos later of the final coatings on the car.
Attached Images

post #50 of 70 Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
That looks lovely. Are you putting the lower satin blacking back on the car? They look bare without it IMHO. Getting the correct line around that is very time consuming to mask up. A lot of bodyshops get it wrong and it can look odd.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
post #51 of 70 Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 AM
PSk

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
HOLY CRAP IS THAT A 275GTS BEHIND THE DINO

...regaining composure ...

ahem, why isn't that a lovely pair of open top cars
No it is obviously an Alfa Romeo Spider.
Pete
post #52 of 70 Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
That looks lovely. Are you putting the lower satin blacking back on the car? They look bare without it IMHO. Getting the correct line around that is very time consuming to mask up. A lot of bodyshops get it wrong and it can look odd.
My Dino had the satin black In the channels around the front compartment, the engine compartment, and the luggage compartment. I also had the satin black on the lower rocker panels. Mine started at the crease line and went to the bottom of the panel. I've seen photos of some other Dinos that started a little above that crease line, however, mine has always been at and below the crease line of the rocker panel. The engine compartment lid was covered with a black coating (that the body shop had a difficult time in removing). Does anyone know what material was used on the engine compartment lid?
post #53 of 70 Old 12-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Owner

Your car is a late model E series (round front air intakes on the front clip). The satin blacking on the lower rocker panels on all these car went above that creaseline from the factory. It should also run around the front clip to just above those round air intakes and on the rear clip to a height approx 1/2 " above the cut out for the exhaust muffler.

Front clip satin blacking line.

Side rocker satin blacking line

Rear clip satin blacking line

The engine lid was coated with a very heavy schutz type product that is very difficult to replicate if your body shop has removed it.

post #54 of 70 Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Would that be true for the USA Model Dino? The reason I ask is because mine only had a satin black on the rocker panels (from the crease line and below). There was no satin black on the lower parts of the front and rear lower valance panels. Because the original owner had to special order the color that he chose from the factory, could that have caused the differences in the panels being painted or not painted? Iwould appreciate any and all opinions on this matter.

Hawaii 5-0
post #55 of 70 Old 12-04-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Here are the latest photos I have of my Dino. They painted the satin black in the engine compartment, luggage compartment, and front compartment channels. Then the final "Glamour Clearcoat" was applied. So, the reassembly will begin shortly.

Hawaii 5-0
Attached Images

post #56 of 70 Old 12-04-2015, 02:14 AM
Owner

Marrone Dino Metallizzato code 106-M-73 was one of the standard range colours offered on the Dino and not a special order colour. 215 cars left the factory in this colour so it was as popular as say Nuovo Giallo Fly (yellow) - 219 cars, or Blu Dino Metallizzato - 255 cars. All cars left the factory with the satin black lower body paint so if you car did not have this I would suspect it has been repainted during it's life which is fairly common due to corrosion on the front and rear lower corners.

It's well worth buying a copy of Matthias Bartz excellent Dino Compendium which provides comprehensive info on all of the Dino models Home

post #57 of 70 Old 12-04-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information on the Dino Compendium. I will order it. I will forward the images of the black satin areas to the body shop. I'm flying down to see my car and will decide how we'll proceed with the painting of that area. The information that I received from the previous two owners was that the car had never been repainted or touched up when I purchased it. It was a very low mileage car when I purchased it in 1980 and had always been garaged and covered. I'll see if the original owner has any photos of the car when he took delivery of it.
Thank you again iainuk you are a wealth of information.

Hawaii 5-0
post #58 of 70 Old 12-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Owner

Glad to help. Everyone swears blind their car has never had paint when they are trying to sell it so I'd take those claims with a large pinch of salt

The Dino was effectively Ferrari's first mass production car so by the time the later E series cars were rolling off the end of the line they were being built to a uniform standard so it makes no sense that the side rockers were satin black on your car and the front and rear clips were not as this paint was applied after the bodyshell colour had been painted, flatted and laquered. It's not as though a production line worker in the paint shop would take it upon themselves to decide not to paint the front and rear clips and for the end of production checks not pick up on this. The lower body satin blacking was something Ferrari did to all of their car of this era as part of Pininfarinas styling design to make the cars look lower and sleeker.

These areas are a pain to mask up to get the correct flowing appearance of the line around the bottom of the car so many bodyshops just don't bother re-instating them and customers seldom notice they are missing. I recently picked up on this on a GTS being restored here in the UK that had it's original paint and satin blacking lines when it went to the paintshop. When it came back it was missing the lower blacking and the company who were paying for the work to be done on behalf of their client totally missed it and were extremely red faced when I pointed it out but grateful I did so before the owner saw it. The paint shop had even failed to take measurements of where the lines were but fortunately the restorer had taken some detailed photo's of the car when it first arrived with them so they could use these to put the satin blacking back in place.

Last edited by iainuk; 12-04-2015 at 09:24 AM.
post #59 of 70 Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 847
Garage
Gorgeous photos of the Dino, thank you for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
Marrone Dino Metallizzato code 106-M-73 was one of the standard range colours offered on the Dino and not a special order colour. 215 cars left the factory in this colour so it was as popular as say Nuovo Giallo Fly (yellow) - 219 cars, or Blu Dino Metallizzato - 255 cars.

All cars left the factory with the satin black lower body paint so...
The photos in the Dino Compendium were so great that they were enough to guide two different painters to paint the lower black on two of my Dinos.

I think the lower black adds a nice visual base for the fender curves to stand out
post #60 of 70 Old 12-05-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Hi Scott,
I ordered the Dino Compendium, so I may be able to use it to have the satin black painted on the lower portion of my Dino. If I don't get it before my car is completed at the body shop, I'll have it done in Honolulu after I ship it back to Oahu. It's been a long journey, however, I hope to have the Dino back on the road (where it belongs) and enjoying the sounds of the motor as I cruise around the island. Thank you again Scott for your very generous help in allowing Dennison Motorsport to use the trunk lower fiberglass panels from your Dino to make the molds used to create those panels for my Dino. You were instrumental in introducing me to Dennison Motorsport and they manufactured the rear body panel, the trunk lower panels, and the front and rear headers with the metal heat shields.

Hawaii 5-0

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode