Parts Source For Damaged 1972 Dino 246 GT - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 831
Garage
Well you didn't say you already had the car on a jig!
Looks like the correct method of repair is underway. The body tub is constructed of 53x94mm oval chassis tubes and they are beefy and strong. I'm pleased your car's tub area was not affected but considering the strength of that construction, I'd say it did its job.

This photo is of the exhaust for USA 05702 after ceramic coating it "Ice Gray" along side of unused rear manifold.

The extra is the original on my 05702, performing well for 50k+ Miles and is a solid piece but has ugly welds. Look at how Ferrari made these - they were not Mandrel bent into one flowing shape but cobbled together in sections. Stock curved sections were cut then butt welded together and on mine they didn't get the butt ends smooth and even, but offset slightly. I tried grinding it down but stopped as soon as i saw the shape. I think I got the replacement from Dan K at GT Car Parts in Phoenix.

The worst thing is, that of all the exhaust sections that are on this car this is the most visible of all. If this was on the forward bank I wouldn't think twice about being this picky on cosmetics, but this rear exhaust manifold is in your face when you open the Engine lid.

I also never saw the butt welds before because the stock USA exhaust manifold has a light sheet metal surround with fiberglas insulation. I had to remove it so the Ceramic coating guy could access it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Hi everyone, I thought I would post some of the photos I took of my Dino while I was visiting my car last month. This is where the repairs are at while we're waiting for the new front and rear exhaust headers and the muffler system. The Left Rear Quarter Panel was pulled and roughed out to this point. This reduced the buckling on the roof panel and reduced the pressure that was on the rear window glass. The luggage lid had buckled from the impact and they were able to straighten it. They wanted to have the original luggage lid in place so they could line up the quarter panels and the new rear body panel to it. On the work table, you can see the rear valance cross brace that was constructed from square tubing.
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 06-23-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
I have bought many parts for the Dino from Superformance and Dinoparts.de and were overall great experiences but have had a few parts off from both. Some surprises. In the end postage costs wash out any return effort.

I inquired about seats/leather and they did not have them onsite and took weeks to get back to me answering a question on them. Obviously an outsourced product and have found local to be more correct too.

Your focus is probably on the body panels and we saw these too. Thinking it was a way to quicken the restoration process then that would maks sense, but they're anticipating that every Dino part is interchangable and They are not. Scaglietti stamped a body number on all the pieces that go together for that car to keep them together as a fit set.
I had a discussion with the body shop about uniqueness of the body parts for Dino. They're aware that any new body panel will need to be tweaked and massaged to fit my car. That is one of the reasons they saved the Left/Rear Quarter Body Panel and the luggage lid. With the original lid in place, they would have a good reference point to line up the two Rear Quarter Body Panels and the Rear Body Panel. The Rear Body Panel was beyond the point of being repairable. I really wanted to find the Boot Floor Top Section and the Boot Floor Lower Section (which Superformance has listed in the Dino section). I thought that purchasing these parts would help eliminate the fabrication time it would take to construct the panels. They're listed at 124.50 for the Top Section and 132.00 for the Lower Section.
I was not aware that Scaglietti stamped a body number on the parts for each Ferrari. I am learning a lot of new information about the Dino. I was in the auto body field for over twenty eight years and I did everything from sweeping the floors, painting (from panels to complete paint jobs), was certified for truck and car frame correction, wheel alignment, and finally estimating repair costs and managing the shop. But, you're never too old to learn new things about your own car. I'm thankful that everyone here has been so helpful and giving. Thanks again.
post #23 of 70 Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I had a discussion with the body shop about uniqueness of the body parts for Dino. They're aware that any new body panel will need to be tweaked and massaged to fit my car. That is one of the reasons they saved the Left/Rear Quarter Body Panel and the luggage lid. With the original lid in place, they would have a good reference point to line up the two Rear Quarter Body Panels and the Rear Body Panel. The Rear Body Panel was beyond the point of being repairable. I really wanted to find the Boot Floor Top Section and the Boot Floor Lower Section (which Superformance has listed in the Dino section). I thought that purchasing these parts would help eliminate the fabrication time it would take to construct the panels. They're listed at 124.50 for the Top Section and 132.00 for the Lower Section.
I was not aware that Scaglietti stamped a body number on the parts for each Ferrari. I am learning a lot of new information about the Dino. I was in the auto body field for over twenty eight years and I did everything from sweeping the floors, painting (from panels to complete paint jobs), was certified for truck and car frame correction, wheel alignment, and finally estimating repair costs and managing the shop. But, you're never too old to learn new things about your own car. I'm thankful that everyone here has been so helpful and giving. Thanks again.

These are three panels; an aluminum tray and two fiberglas ones. I have mine out of the car and can give dimensions should you need it. Dennison International; fabricated the aluminum tray before I even determined if I'd use the original and they have a good fabricator for fiberglas.

If you want I could take my originals to them for use as templates.

PS - sent you an email with big photos, perhaps have to check Spam folder?

Last edited by USADino; 06-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.

post #24 of 70 Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Owner

Garage
dinopart.de has them

Updates:

Dino parts has both front and rear at EU 649.00 each
Ferrari 246 GT/GTS: Exhaust: Stainless Manifolds: Stainless manifolds - List

Eurospares show they have one but it isn't clear which it is
http://www.eurospares.co.uk/index.asp?M=1&G=

Dennis McCann has one but it is a Euro version, item #20544 at $595.00
Ferrari Parts List - Dennis McCann's All Ferrari Parts Inc. www.allferrariparts.com

Quote:
Well, you didn't say that the Dino was already on a jig ... and it looks like good things are progressing!

There are several folks I go to for such parts:

GT Car Parts in Phoenix has several Dino they're parting out
623.780-2200 [email protected]

Specialized Italian Recycling
Used Italian car parts & repairables

Dennis McCann has a Euro one, item #20544 at $595.00
Ferrari Parts List - Dennis McCann's All Ferrari Parts Inc. www.allferrariparts.com

Jacques at Maserati Source
Maseratisource Home Page
Just sold a Stainless steel exhaust for low price

I REALLY enjoy my Tubi Competition exhaust and would recommend it on any Dino.

Last edited by USADino; 06-24-2012 at 10:18 AM.
post #25 of 70 Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Updates:

Dino parts has both front and rear at EU 649.00 each
Ferrari 246 GT/GTS: Exhaust: Stainless Manifolds: Stainless manifolds - List

Eurospares show they have one but it isn't clear which it is
http://www.eurospares.co.uk/index.asp?M=1&G=

Dennis McCann has one but it is a Euro version, item #20544 at $595.00
I will send these new parts sources to my body shop. Thank you for your ongoing assistance.
post #26 of 70 Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Owner

Garage
Just to be clear - all 3 of the headers above are factory original, USA version Dino headers.

I own two Dinos (Euro 05082, USA 05702) and may have caused confusion with my other post of the Tubi exhaust system on my Euro car. Nothing in the above above photo is a Tubi product as I want this restoration of my USA car as close to original as possible.
OTOH, the Euro car rips and tears the road up with that aftermarket stuff!
post #27 of 70 Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just to be clear - all 3 of the headers above are factory original, USA version Dino headers.

I own two Dinos (Euro 05082, USA 05702) and may have caused confusion with my other post of the Tubi exhaust system on my Euro car. Nothing in the above above photo is a Tubi product as I want this restoration of my USA car as close to original as possible.
OTOH, the Euro car rips and tears the road up with that aftermarket stuff!
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the two new exhaust headers were the Tubi Competition headers. I sent the info to my body shop. I hope they found and ordered the exhaust headers from the Dino Parts. I'm also going to see if they can have the headers ceramic coated too. The coating really enhanced the look of the headers.

Hawaii 5-0
post #28 of 70 Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the two new exhaust headers were the Tubi Competition headers. I sent the info to my body shop. I hope they found and ordered the exhaust headers from the Dino Parts. I'm also going to see if they can have the headers ceramic coated too. The coating really enhanced the look of the headers.

Hawaii 5-0
I thought there might be confusion. If Dinoparts.de does not come through I can give you a heck of a deal on the rear USA header. Ceramic coating the headers was only $200 and would preserve the life of a steel exhaust and lower underhood temps too. Not sure on a Stainless Steel one

If Insurance is buying the exhaust, then I would definitely recommend the Tubi, heard they were pricey though, $3k+.
post #29 of 70 Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I thought there might be confusion. If Dinoparts.de does not come through I can give you a heck of a deal on the rear USA header. Ceramic coating the headers was only $200 and would preserve the life of a steel exhaust and lower underhood temps too. Not sure on a Stainless Steel one

If Insurance is buying the exhaust, then I would definitely recommend the Tubi, heard they were pricey though, $3k+.
If I may ask, where did you find your steel front and rear exhausts? If possible, I would like to replace the originals with original steel type exhausts.

Hawaii 5-0
post #30 of 70 Old 06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
If I may ask, where did you find your steel front and rear exhausts? If possible, I would like to replace the originals with original steel type exhausts.

Hawaii 5-0
GT Car Parts in Phoenix
post #31 of 70 Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Bevin- Believe that is a Fiat 124 Spider or one of its derivatives.

You might try Superperformance in the UK and Tom Shaughnessy might know of a source, although he has closed his shop. Superperformance has headers and exhaust systems, but they are for the Euro version. Might be worth a call. Dinos are worth so much now, they get restored instead of parted, so it is getting tougher to find used parts. Good news is they are worth more now, so people are making parts for them.
I tried emailing Superformance for prices and availability for the front and rear exhaust headers and the muffler system for a USA Model 246 GT Dino. But, in every response, they would not address the question if the parts are for the USA Model Dino or not. The images of the parts appear to be for the European version Dino. I cannot get them to verify whether the parts are for the USA Dino or the Euro Dino. Hence, I'm very reluctant to purchase these parts. Has anyone purchased exhaust headers and muffler system for a USA model Dino 246 from Superformance and received the correct parts??? Thanks.

Hawaii 5-0
post #32 of 70 Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Owner

Garage
I experienced the same when asking for coolant pipes for USA cars - Superformance only carry Euro versions.

I arrive in LA tomorrow and am supplying Blackhorse Motors with two manuals to complete their Dino's owner's pouch - they will owe me a favor for this. Let me ask and see what this might produce.

Scott
post #33 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Update on Parts Hunt and Repair on My Dino

It's been a long time since my last post on this subject. My car is still being repaired. The bulk of the delays have been because of a serious lack of good quality replacement parts for a 1972 US Model 246 Dino. There are a lot of parts for the Euro version, but, a scarcity of parts for the US Model.
First of all, I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to SCM246 for his assistance in my getting the two fiberglass pieces and the aluminum lower pan for the trunk floor section of my Dino. He offered to allow Dennison International Motorsport (who were doing the restoration on one of his Dinos) to remove the pieces from his vehicle and allow them to create some molds so they could cast the pieces I needed. The pieces from my Dino were pretty mangled and his generosity allow me to get as close to original replacement parts as is possible. Dennison built the molds, laid the fiberglass and fabricated the aluminum lower tray using the original parts from SCM246's Dino. They crated everything up and shipped the fabricated pieces to Auto Body Hawaii.
Here are some photos of the molds that were created and the pieces as they were being formed, and the finished products:
Attached Images

post #34 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Further Update on The Repairs to My Dino

The next problem was in obtaining a rear body panel for my Dino. Auto Body Hawaii had obtained one from Eurospares (through FerrParts). During one of my visits I got to inspect the rear body panel and found it to be very, very rough and not very well made. The line where the beveled area meets the flat (it's really curved) panel housing the tail lights was very wavy and needed a lot of work. Even the areas where the tail lights are indented into the panel were very crudely made. I didn't want to use that panel on my car and went in search of a better rear body panel.
During my emails to Dennison Motorsport about the fabrication of the trunk pieces, they happened to mention that the owner of the company was going to be in Kona, Hawaii the following week for a short stay. Butch Dennison graciously found the time and agreed to meet me at Auto Body Hawaii to look at my Dino. While he was there, I showed him the rear body panel that was purchased from Eurospares and agreed that his metalworkers could fabricate a rear body panel for my car by taking all the dimensions needed from one of the Dinos that were currently being restored by his company. I had a great time meeting and talking to Mr. Dennison and by fabricating this part, he helped to get the repairs on my car off of the holding pattern it was in.
In fact, after finding it impossible to purchase any OEM exhaust headers for my car, I contacted Dennison Motorsport again to see if they would consider fabricating a set of exhaust manifolds with the heat shields. I was told that the fabrication of the headers would be simple (they would use an original part off of a car in the shop and clone that piece), but, I was told that the headers had to be wrapped with a heat shielding material before the metal heat shielding could be hand formed around the headers. This would be a time consuming task and would greatly increase the cost of the finished product. But, I wanted to get as close to an original replacement part as possible and they are almost done with the fabrication. I just received some photos of the fabrication process for the exhaust headers and I wanted to share them with everyone.
Finally, I want to again thank SCM246 for introducing me to Dennison International Motorsport and for his generosity in allowing them to use parts from his personal car so they could recreate those parts for my car. Thank you, thank you, thank you SCM246. You were truly a life saver in helping me to get the needed parts for my car's repairs. Here are the photos:
Attached Images

post #35 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

A Few More Photos Of the Fabricated Headers with Heat Shields

Here are the remaining photos of the exhaust headers that Dennison Motorsport sent regarding the exhaust headers they were fabricating for my 246 Dino. The cost for the fabrication of the exhaust headers with heat shields was $8,500.00. So, if you're interested in obtaining a set, contact Darren at Dennison International Motorsport. His email address is: [email protected]
Attached Images

post #36 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx for sharing, Hawaii 5-0 !

I admire your diligence and energy in acheiving the goal of better than new Dino !

Not sure I can duplicate that myself.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #37 of 70 Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Parts Search

The quality of the part that was purchased (the rear body panel for example) was so poorly made that I just couldn't use that part on my Dino. If I hadn't found a company like Dennison Motorsports, who did quality Ferrari parts fabrication, I probably would have been forced to use the other rear body panel. But, as I stated, that panel need a lot of work to make it usable, but, I wouldn't have been too happy about it. And, having the opportunity to have my trunk floor pieces molded from the original parts off a 246 Dino was extremely lucky for me. This was only possible because of the generosity of SCM246.
Jimmy, I'm sure that if you were in my predicament, you'd go that extra mile to find the best quality parts to mend your Dino. I hope that no Dino owner ever has to go through the agony of having their vehicle wrecked by an inattentive and distracted driver. But, if it happens to you, there are resources out there that can fabricate the parts with extraordinary results.

Hawaii 5-0
post #38 of 70 Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Owner

Hawaii 5-0, could not agree more. I am afraid my turn is not too far in the distant future, altho I would like to keep my Dino as much as it is.

For you to own and drive a car like Dino in Honolulu is quite amazing IMHO, where much of the time you only encounter rentals, pickups, vans and trucks ! You must stand out like a sore thumb ! Of course, this is a compliment.

Enjoying your progress report immensely.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #39 of 70 Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Jimmy,

You would think that, if my Dino stood out, the other guy shouldn't have driven into the rear of my Dino. To make things even worse, last week, someone drove into the rear of the rental car that I've been in. Again, the driver of a pick up truck wasn't paying attention and drove into the back of the rental as I was stopped for a pedestrian crossing in a crosswalk!!! I was stopped for a while as the pedestrian walked past the front of my car and before I could accelerate, the truck rammed me. Luckily he had insurance. Here's a photo of the rental car after I returned it.

Hawaii 5-0
Attached Images

post #40 of 70 Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Owner

That is horrible ! Hope you were not shaken up badly.

Too many drivers go about doing their "things" while driving and it is scary out there.

Last time when I was in Honolulu, I did not enjoy the attitude of the local drivers there at all. Some were downright rude. Too many tourists like myself, maybe !

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode