The other fire under the dash - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 828
Garage
The other fire under the dash

Many Dino owners have been cautioned to keep their Ammeter gauge terminals secured or fire can break out. Well known and widely checked, double nutted and insulated beyond factory install all in the name of safety. Rightly so, but we're not talking about that under dash fire hazard here.

The other fire under the dash is the electrical ignition module behind the Neiman key cylinder where all the current for the starter and running of the car passes through. John Corbani had written about this type of failure and a year ago on a Cascade loop trip I had a momentary non-start issue. No response to the key turning after 1.5 hr run and health break stop. Recalling Corbani's saga I reached under the dash and pushed inward on the module, and was able to restart.

All seemed fine for a year with no issues, then days before I was to lead this FCA event I went in to get some fine tune carb setting for over the high mountain passes of the North Cascades, (trip photos here:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/us...rari-club.html ).

While tuning the carbs smoke started appearing from under the dash and I immediately shut off the master battery power cutoff switch. These are essential devices in vintage cars.
The usual suspect is the ammeter, but investigating by feeling around the gauge and face and backing showed all was cool to the touch. As my hand passed down from behind the ammeter gauge is brushed past the rear electrical contacts for the ignition keyswitch and felt heat. I then recalled Corbani's saga on these failing and knew I was done for.

Investigating further I confirmed that as I found the electrical ignition module had shorted. The smell is pervasivec bakelite, phenoyl-based smell tthat is unmistakable.
It fried.
The photos show the original burned one next to the new one I bought from Dennis McCann (USD $75.00 p/n 70000707 http://www.allferrariparts.com/parts_list.php )

I was able to and carry on to lead the FCA trip by swapping the unit from my other Dino. Simply removing the two slot head screws that hold it in and disconnecting the electrical spade connections and it is out. Reverse to install.
I now carry a spare of these in my road kit so that I won't be stranded should it happen again, but you know Murphy's law...
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 05-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Dino flambe

They were famous for it but the funny part is all the other cars were electrically as prone to it. We have long thought it was more common to the Dinos because a larger percentage of the owners sought out lower cost service and the cars went to shops not as careful or detail oriented and mishandled those two big wires.

Have never seen an ignition switch burn though. Hundreds of thousands of German and Italian cars use that part.

There are some low quality Chinese knockoffs out there being distributed by some of the big names in the Ferrari business. Very unreliable. Just say no to any switch that does not have the German logo on them. The genuine article is available for cheap. No reason to settle for junk.

Last edited by Brian; 05-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Here is where the module sits in Dino # 05082, behind the dash view.
Periodic cleaning looks needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 05-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
John Corbani's helpful ignition diagram.
i actually have this downloaded to my phone's memory
so I can refer to it in a pinch.
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I dont think cleaning will change anything. They break and crumble internally eventually. I have replaced many and it is always the same. You were just unlucky enough to have some of the pieces short out a hot contact.
That same switch was used on all the cars with steering locks up to but not including TR/Mondial.

Lucky you.

At least it didn't spread.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I drive a lot so the odds were running down on this one.

OTOH, I always carry 3 halon fire extinguishers and invariably have to move one when giving a guest a ride as it impedes trying to slide their seat back. People usually laugh when they see I have 3 but I'm glad to have them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode