Dennison International in Vintage Motorsport, Dino restoration - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Garage
Dennison International in Vintage Motorsport, Dino restoration

Several know I'm undertaking a restoration on Dino #05702 which I'm the second owner of and had for the last 19 years. I walked into the shop last winter and the guys were excited, they had been featured in 2011 Sep/Oct issue of Vintage Motorsport magazine!

Although not the center of things, they pointed out where my Dino had crept into the photos. Besides the large picture of Dennis welding on the nose, the second photo below shows a small one in the upper left where the Dino is on a very cool device called the "Picture Frame" jig.
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 04-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
super cool. and being the 2nd owner is another.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Electronic version, starts on p. 112

Vintage Motorsport - SEP-OCT 2011

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
Several know I'm undertaking a restoration on Dino #05702 which I'm the second owner of and had for the last 19 years. I walked into the shop last winter and the guys were excited, they had been featured in 2011 Sep/Oct issue of Vintage Motorsport magazine!

Although not the center of things, they pointed out where my Dino had crept into the photos. Besides the large picture of Dennis welding on the nose, the second photo below shows a small one in the upper left where the Dino is on a very cool device called the "Picture Frame" jig.
I'm wondering if you could help me. I have a 1972 246 Dino GT being repaired after someone crunched the rear end of my vehicle. It always bothered me that my car has the Euro styled front turn signal light on the front panel between the headlights. Since it's in the repair shop and is going to get a complete respray, I want to have the USA version turn signal lights installed. I wanted to know if you might have some insight as the best way to proceed with this undertaking. Should the Euro version be cut out and the USA version fabricated out of sheet metal and welded into place? Or should I try and purchase a USA version front upper panel and weld it into place? Any input you may be able to provide on this subject will be appreciated.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I'm wondering if you could help me. I have a 1972 246 Dino GT being repaired after someone crunched the rear end of my vehicle. It always bothered me that my car has the Euro styled front turn signal light on the front panel between the headlights. Since it's in the repair shop and is going to get a complete respray, I want to have the USA version turn signal lights installed. I wanted to know if you might have some insight as the best way to proceed with this undertaking. Should the Euro version be cut out and the USA version fabricated out of sheet metal and welded into place? Or should I try and purchase a USA version front upper panel and weld it into place? Any input you may be able to provide on this subject will be appreciated.
One of my Dinos (lower one in photo) is a Euro version that had to be Federalized to enter the USA. It had USA metalwork modifications of marker lights to meet US requirements. I'm preparing to return it to Euro form.
Want to trade metalwork cutouts around our marker lights?
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
One of my Dinos (lower one in photo) is a Euro version that had to be Federalized to enter the USA. It had USA metalwork modifications of marker lights to meet US requirements. I'm preparing to return it to Euro form.
Want to trade metalwork cutouts around our marker lights?
I would be happy to trade metalwork cutouts around the front turn signal lights as it would make converting mine back to the USA specs a lot easier. I like the look of the Euro version of the turn signal lights over the USA version. But, it has always bothered me that mine was not visually original. Since my car is going to have a complete respray anyway, now would be the perfect time to proceed with the conversion on the front turn signal lights. I assume that a template has to be made with the outlines of the front bonnet opening and each headlight bucket area to aid in the alignment of the template on the cars so the cutouts will be the same on both vehicles. If this is not the proper way to proceed, please let me know what needs to be done. And thank you for your very generous offer.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I have many photos of my Dino next to some wonderful other cars but out of respect for a top customer I am not permitted to post photos of his cars on the 'net.
While TR Prototype 666 was one in his collection, last year it sold for $16.1M and is no in his collection anymore.

Here it is prior to Monterey last year being prepared for transport to the auction. If you look closely you can see Dino 05702 in the background at Dennison International
Attached Images

Last edited by USADino; 06-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode