Driving the Dino - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Driving the Dino

Yesterday, I've visited Capo in south Switzerland as the weather forecast was for a wonderful bluesky and unusual warm temperature.
We met at our favorite hotel in Lugano and Capo showed me his wonderful grey metallic 246 GTS. Capo explained me all the details of the car, the roof was already down and in we sat for a extended and forceful drive thru the hilly roads in Ticino.

To drive a open Dino is a wonderful experience as your here all the time the wonderful singing of the V6, the soaking carbs and feel the extremly nimbleness of its whole layout...just wonderful. The perfect classic experience for those sometimes extremely curvy roads. Sitting in the car and travelling without my wife, the view to the front showed 2 fantastic "hips", one of the best view's in Ferrari terms and kind of a worthwhile replacement for 1 day away from my sugar.

Capo knows how to live....after cigars, a little something to eat and suncream allover our faces we started to drive back to the hotel on some "vintage" roads, where the Dino played out all its appraisals it is known for. With some slight adjustments/allignements on the carb side I begged Capo to bring the Dino to Scotland. It would be a fantastic add to the overall F-park. (Wetpet, just make sure you are cutting your legs short before)

We ended the day with a great dinner and some wonderful wines from the region.

Thank you Capo !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Sounds great 212, I can't wait for the day that I drive a V6 Dino. If you and my hero Alain de Cadenet rave about them (as many others do), then certainly I'm missing out on something.

Thanks for sharing, it was a great read.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #3 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Yesterday, I've visited Capo in south Switzerland as the weather forecast was for a wonderful bluesky and unusual warm temperature.
We met at our favorite hotel in Lugano and Capo showed me his wonderful grey metallic 246 GTS. Capo explained me all the details of the car, the roof was already down and in we sat for a extended and forceful drive thru the hilly roads in Ticino.

To drive a open Dino is a wonderful experience as your here all the time the wonderful singing of the V6, the soaking carbs and feel the extremly nimbleness of its whole layout...just wonderful. The perfect classic experience for those sometimes extremely curvy roads. Sitting in the car and travelling without my wife, the view to the front showed 2 fantastic "hips", one of the best view's in Ferrari terms and kind of a worthwhile replacement for 1 day away from my sugar.

Capo knows how to live....after cigars, a little something to eat and suncream allover our faces we started to drive back to the hotel on some "vintage" roads, where the Dino played out all its appraisals it is known for. With some slight adjustments/allignements on the carb side I begged Capo to bring the Dino to Scotland. It would be a fantastic add to the overall F-park. (Wetpet, just make sure you are cutting your legs short before)

Thank you Capo !
I always enjoy these write ups.

post #4 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- Brings back fond memories, except mine was a coupe, so less suntan lotion required. No hair, so I would have needed a hat. Have a nice one with a chin strap.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- Brings back fond memories, except mine was a coupe, so less suntan lotion required. No hair, so I would have needed a hat. Have a nice one with a chin strap.
Yup, we both had our hats on as the hair gets thinner by the day.
post #6 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Sounds great 212, I can't wait for the day that I drive a V6 Dino. If you and my hero Alain de Cadenet rave about them (as many others do), then certainly I'm missing out on something.

Onno
Thank you Onno, yes it was a great experience. The Dino is well constructed in the way it is as the cars is short, light and therefore nimble. However it need to be said that someone should not expect nearly the torque and power of a 330 GTC or Boxer as the engine is a 2.4 litre layout only. But it fits the character and the overall layout of the Dino beautifully.
post #7 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:

Onno
Great read, 212! Very nice to see you two know how to really enjoy a beautiful day!

Onno, do I sense another project coming up after you take ownership of the 458 in April.....??

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #8 of 51 Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Owner

Jeroen, I've always wanted a Dino but unfortunately someone decided that you can only have a limited amount of cars (how unfair!). Well, I say 'how unfair', but I'm slowly starting to realise as many others have before that too many cars is actually quite difficult to enjoy. It's hard to give all of them the right amount of attention for the money that you're spending. But a year or two ago I almost fell for a perfect one for sale at Modena Motorsport.

It is certainly conceivable that I will buy a Dino after the 458 (or another car) leaves my stable. My current plan is to buy a great LHD Boxer in a couple of years. Perhaps I'll have a Dino first, instead. But I will certainly not increase the stable, my goal of 3 Ferraris and a TVR is plenty. Especially now that I've got a yacht that needs attention too.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC

Last edited by JazzyO; 02-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
post #9 of 51 Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Great write-up. Can only imagine what it must be like to drive on the 'vintage' roads of Switzerland in a Dino. A car enthusiast's dream.
post #10 of 51 Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Jeroen, I've always wanted a Dino but unfortunately someone decided that you can only have a limited amount of cars (how unfair!). Well, I say 'how unfair', but I'm slowly starting to realise as many others have before that too many cars is actually quite difficult to enjoy. It's hard to give all of them the right amount of attention for the money that you're spending. But a year or two ago I almost fell for a perfect one for sale at Modena Motorsport.

It is certainly conceivable that I will buy a Dino after the 458 (or another car) leaves my stable. My current plan is to buy a great LHD Boxer in a couple of years. Perhaps I'll have a Dino first, instead. But I will certainly not increase the stable, my goal of 3 Ferraris and a TVR is plenty. Especially now that I've got a yacht that needs attention too.

Onno
Does this mean that you are parting with both 365BBs?

How is the Griff coming along?
post #11 of 51 Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great write up 212. All we're missing are the pics. I assume your favourite hotel in Lugano is one we visited together, if so, I hope the view was better this time around!

Glad to hear that Capo has not forgotten how to enoy life . I trust you encouraged him to visit us on FL again soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post

Thank you Capo !

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #12 of 51 Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Does this mean that you are parting with both 365BBs?

How is the Griff coming along?
Yes, Boxer, that is the plan. The RHD has the steering wheel on the wrong side, the LHD one needs a restoration process that is a bit too lenghty for me at the moment. So neither one is quite the car for me at this stage. I'd like to get back to a LHD 365BB in the future, not too distant I might add, I love those cars. But the 458 is also coming and that will need some attention.

The Griff is doing fine - I'm holding up the upholstery process because I need to finish the drawings. She should be done in June/July. But I've learnt not to be too attached to a deadline....

Onno

330GTC
post #13 of 51 Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Great write up 212. All we're missing are the pics. I assume your favourite hotel in Lugano is one we visited together, if so, I hope the view was better this time around!

Glad to hear that Capo has not forgotten how to enoy life . I trust you encouraged him to visit us on FL again soon...
Good morning Barry. Yes after that terrible sickness which hindered me to visit you I had to get a "mistress" wheel in my hands. I needed a day to fully enjoy and we met at "your" hotel. Sight couldn't be better as the rest as well.
I very much tried to convince Capo to bring the Dino in 2 month to London, as this little beauty would be a great addition to the general car park. There are 2-3 issues which he told me he wants to resolve first to make it perfect before for any long trip. As it seems opposite to me, Capo has many cars and rather drives much less distance wise so then the cars need a little attention from time to time.
post #14 of 51 Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Thank YOU 212 for such a great initiative!

The Dino is always keen on a power cruise and what a charming little flea it is! It hits 8.000 rpm with all the joy in the world and loves to be thrown about so it can impress with its lightness and balance.

Tomorrow It gets handed in to Kessel's for the F Classiche certification. It's not worth the money but I'd quite like to have that little Classiche badge so here we go. While in the shop it will get its second cleaning/tuning of carburetors, new shocks, new light stalk, liberation of radio and speakers and some other minor issues will be tended to as well.

I'm seriously considering taking it to Fled VI, 212 has almost fully convinced me. Time will tell.

By the way Barry, we missed you at the "Prince".

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #15 of 51 Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
By the way Barry, we missed you at the "Prince".
Next time...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post

I'm seriously considering taking it to Fled VI, 212 has almost fully convinced me. Time will tell.
:
Do you think the Dino is up to a 5000 mile adventure?

If the weather is decent, I would guess that the 430 Spider would be the perfect car for FLED 6.
post #17 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Owner

I would love to see the Dino in Scotland, Capo!

Onno

330GTC
post #18 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:

If the weather is decent, I would guess that the 430 Spider would be the perfect car for FLED 6.
Scott, its a 5000 km not 5000 miles drive. IMO the Dino would be a fantastic addition to the Fled 6 Car Park. I also told Capo that driving a classic for such a great drive is a once in a lifetime chance to enjoy and learn fast about the "intrinsics" of the car. Nothing can deplete pure long distance driving experience. Besides, because of this I'm sure Capo will bring the Dino to a exquisite driving state.

The 430 is great but a Dino is much more rare and therefore possibly more to enjoy by all others as well, don't you think ?
post #19 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Owner

Quote:

The Dino isn't up to it right now but I just took it for a night drive leaving it at Kessel's for F Classiche and second tune-up after the recommissioning. I drove home in the Corniche, talk about contrasts... I've been using the Dino as my DD lately to find all additional little weaknesses and if they tend to all the issues on my list it should be up for Fled VI. My greatest concern is if my back can handle 5000 clicks in the cumbersome Dino seats.

The 430 is a dream car for a Scotland Fled but the cool factor of sitting in the Dino cruising the Highlands is simply ubercool! I will show up in a silver Ferrari, that's all I can say for now.

Salve,
Capo

post #20 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Owner

What cars are the rest of you bringing to Fled VI?

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode