Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Dino Era: 206, 246 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dino-era-206-246/)
-   -   Dino DIY - Ceramic coating the headers (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dino-era-206-246/13807-dino-diy-ceramic-coating.html)

USADino 03-24-2011 09:11 PM

Dino DIY - Ceramic coating the headers

3 Attachment(s)
Dino #05082 is a Euro version and I've installed a Tubi Competition exhaust that I really like (s/n 000041). The headers are steel with dirty surfaces and a light rust spot that need cleaning up. I decided on ceramic coating the headers to not only tidy up the looks but also reduce engine bay temperatures as well as preserve the headers to extend their lifespan.

There are two headers; the rear bank and front bank. To access the rear bank first remove the trunk access panel and heat shields.

USADino 03-24-2011 09:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next remove the six retaining nuts at each of the three exhaust ports per ank to free the three outflow tubes. On the underside of the Dino, unfasten the three bolts that secure the header to the Tubi exhaust, this will allow the header to move, but you're not done yet! To allow the header to clear the access panel hole you must remove both underside heat shields. This is difficult as you're working around behind on a blind corner

USADino 03-24-2011 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that the rear header is free, using a serpentine motion snake it out through the rear trunk panel opening.

USADino 03-24-2011 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
To access the front header is a bit more difficult.
The right, rear wheel, splash panel, coolant tubes and alternator must be removed. Once that is done, remove the three fasteners that secure the header to the exhaust then remove the heat shields.

Next remove the six retaining nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head and snake the header out of the front area.

USADino 03-24-2011 09:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When you remove them they are dirty and grungy with light rusting, this is what they look like.

Upon recommendation of several race and restoration shops I chose to use Performance Coatings for the blasting, preparation, and ceramic coating process. I took the headers to their shop and chose the color Black Satin Velvet
Welcome to Performance Coatings

Cost was slightly over $USD 200.00

USADino 03-24-2011 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They came back a smooth and wonderful shade of satin black, although the flash on my camera is showing them with grey tones.

Reinstalling them requires new brass hardware, 6 cylinder head gaskets and 2 sintered rings for the exhaust connection.

Two popular places to purchase these are Superformance in the UK and Dinoparts.de in Germany. I bought from both so they deserve equal time and the truth is that both suppliers have top notch parts.

USADino 03-24-2011 09:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Install a gasket on each front cylinder head stud pair then thread the 6 retaining nuts with just a few turns so there is still a lot of play. Lightly connect the manifold to the exhaust system.
The idea is to check the mating of this front exhaust manifold to the cylinder head and the exhaust system before proceeding. Don't tighten the fasteners yet.

NOTE: it is critical to position the exhaust connection to both front and rear headers before tightening anything. Once fit seems to be aligned correctly on both the cylinder head side and the exhaust system side, then you will lightly turn every fastener a few turns and re-examine.

USADino 03-24-2011 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Install the rear exhaust manifold header.
Place a new gasket on each rear cylinder head port and pre-fit the rear exhaust manifold. Attach the manifold to the Tubi exhaust and check for even and regular mounting.

When pre-fit looks good, tighten the rear and front manifold header fasteners evenly and firmly to secure the exhaust manifold to the heads and the Tubi exhaust.

Stand back and admire the new, clean look!

mk e 03-25-2011 04:14 AM

nice :thumbsup:

Granucci 03-25-2011 08:55 AM

Yes, very nice.

Fiorano 03-25-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granucci (Post 137139)
Yes, very nice.

+ 1. Couldn't agree more.

a1exander 03-26-2011 09:26 AM

Enjoy seeing the DIY of F ownership well done.:thumbsup:

USADino 06-21-2012 12:05 PM

Several years later, a few trips up/down the West Coast and I have not had to tighten these or fuss with them at all.

cribbj 06-21-2012 12:25 PM

Aside from looking great, how's the heat reduction with these? Have you shot their surface with an infrared thermometer?

USADino 03-12-2013 08:29 PM

The engine compartment is noticeably less hot.

Italian Lover 03-12-2013 10:07 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Deserves Michelin three stars !

Thanx for sharing.

w/ smiles

Jimmy