206 + Race Engine - Page 2 - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
That's it Mark, You have me convinced. I am ordering custom made Öhlins next year for Dino! Very interesting how the better shocks on your 308 can handle such an increase in spring stiffness. Will you ever be able to ride your 308 with stock suspension again? Is it the same revelation like on a bike? One whole inch of lower ride height with properly working suspension must be a giant leap forward in road holding!!?



Take care,
Capo
You won't reget it. For me, I don't even like riding in other peoples 308s with stock suspension, I wouldn't even consider returning mine to OEM. As for improved roadholding, my car generally wins it's class (I run street modified 2) when I take it out autocrossing...it didn't even come close with stock suspension.
mk e is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
You won't reget it. For me, I don't even like riding in other peoples 308s with stock suspension, I wouldn't even consider returning mine to OEM. As for improved roadholding, my car generally wins it's class (I run street modified 2) when I take it out autocrossing...it didn't even come close with stock suspension.
Right, I just got a phone call from Garage Donati explaining their upgrades:

They will lower the car 36mm with new springs.
The shocks will be the same from an external point of view but rebuilt inside.
The steering will be substituted for a new one with higher precision and narrower lock to lock.
The wheels will be changed to the 308's 16" stock.
16" P Corsa 215 front and 225 rear
New larger front disks and calipers
A bigger wet sump for more oil volume

This complete road holding package including tyres costs around 9.000 CHF.

Donati also make power upgrades but that is extensive work including reinforcing the transmission. You can choose from 240hp to 280hp. That will be a second stage modification but I'll try to look for another engine first in order not to sacrifice the original.

I am excited about this. For next year hopefully I will be able to explore the true road holding potential of the Dino!

Ciao,
Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
On second thoughts,

I don't think I will be capable of putting on 16" wheels on a Dino. It doesn't look as good as the stock dimensions. Maybe I'll get the 16" wheels and use them only for special driving occasions.


Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
 
post #24 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I don’t think you want to mess with the stock shocks whether old, new or rebuilt..they are pretty primitive by modern standards.
mk e is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
I don’t think you want to mess with the stock shocks whether old, new or rebuilt..they are pretty primitive by modern standards.
Thanks, Mark!

I wasn't perfectly convinced to what extent the shocks were being rebuilt but Donati indicated over the telephone that it was a complete interior makeover to modern standards for either fully adjustable race use or fixed settings. The reason being to have them look stock from the outside for the Cantonal vehicle inspection. I will need to go there myself and sort all the details out.

At any rate, the Dino seems to have a lot of natural potential and I am in love with it. I want to see how much the road holding can be improved without too much visual noticing. I plan to go through with the road holding improvements for next season, shocks being on hold until I have further information from Donati on their premises.

Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 10-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Tuned 246 GT Sample

Hi Capo,...thought I'd post few pics of this 246 GT right hand car that was for sale here few years back. I was told that this car was tuned for "racing" ? Not sure of the details, but you can see from the pics that the exterior has been altered somewhat. Thought you might be interested to see this, ...I shall post some pics here for you, Capo. w/ smiles Jimmy
Attached Images
                   
Italian Lover is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Thanks a lot Jimmy!

It looks lowered and it clearly has some engine mods. The rear engine room vents and the high flow exhaust indicate more power or at least longer use of power. The plenum chamber is modded and stretches downwards for air... Might there be a turbo charger lurking down there??! The ignition seems altered as well. Very interesting altogether, it makes me very curious of what has been done to it.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 10-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Thanks a lot Jimmy!

It looks lowered and it clearly has some engine mods. The rear engine room vents and the high flow exhaust indicate more power or at least longer use of power. The plenum chamber is modded and stretches downwards for air... Might there be a turbo charger lurking down there??! The ignition seems altered as well. Very interesting altogether, it makes me very curious of what has been done to it.
Glad to know you like it. Not sure if this was turbocharged, but I remember it was like on drug. w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Glad to know you like it. Not sure if this was turbocharged, but I remember it was like on drug. w/ smiles Jimmy
I Also like the side mirrors a lot.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Raced 246

As many of you know I have a soft spot for small Ferraris tuned for racing. I found this, what are your opinions? They ask GBP141.000. I think it is very steep considering it says nothing about original parts included. A readily built and proven race car is on the other hand interesting. Would hobby racing history in the seventies really add value?? I'd say the car should be priced well below 100.000USD - opinions?

"This rare and unusual, but extremely eligible car, was built in the well-known “Garage Franchorchamp” for the owner at those times. This owner began to introduce the car for several events, such as Bergrennen (Mountain Racing), sprints and at the Ferrari Club races in the 70’s and 80’s.
His Dino was part of two famous collections of historical race cars. One a collection in England, the other one in Spain.
The car has a homologated Colotti gearbox, a 4 point AP brake, a safety tank, improved stabilizers, KONI shock absorbers and plexiglas windows. The original 6-cylinder is optimized by a 48 Weber carburetor and has a racing exhaust, which gives an amazing sound.
This complete race-prepared Dino can be set in at many club races and
Other important or famous events"

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #31 of 36 Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
As many of you know I have a soft spot for small Ferraris tuned for racing. I found this, what are your opinions? They ask GBP141.000. I think it is very steep considering it says nothing about original parts included. A readily built and proven race car is on the other hand interesting. Would hobby racing history in the seventies really add value?? I'd say the car should be priced well below 100.000USD - opinions?

"This rare and unusual, but extremely eligible car, was built in the well-known “Garage Franchorchamp” for the owner at those times. This owner began to introduce the car for several events, such as Bergrennen (Mountain Racing), sprints and at the Ferrari Club races in the 70’s and 80’s.
His Dino was part of two famous collections of historical race cars. One a collection in England, the other one in Spain.
The car has a homologated Colotti gearbox, a 4 point AP brake, a safety tank, improved stabilizers, KONI shock absorbers and plexiglas windows. The original 6-cylinder is optimized by a 48 Weber carburetor and has a racing exhaust, which gives an amazing sound.
This complete race-prepared Dino can be set in at many club races and
Other important or famous events"
Hobby racing should not add any value. I believe this car has been for sale for quite a long time.
Boxer is offline  
post #32 of 36 Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Hobby racing should not add any value. I believe this car has been for sale for quite a long time.
I've seen it for quite some time as well. What appeals to me is that it is race ready. On the other hand, my original idea with a 206 aluminium body and a Stratos prepped engine appeals to me even more!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #33 of 36 Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Owner
 
Daytona73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: France
Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Quote:
I'd say the car should be priced well below 100.000USD
All these transformations cost a lot,a lot of money to be executed.
Today ,I think that 150K€ could be a right price for this car.
If you didn't have a Dino already I would have said "buy it" .
But now that you have a 246 GTS in your garage ... buy something else ... 308 Poly (conv Gr4),Boxer,Daytona,330 GTC ...

Pics of 308 @ The Tour de Corse Historique (The Pioneer is a Michelotto and the Martini has been tuned by Makela)
Attached Images
     
Daytona73 is offline  
post #34 of 36 Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona73 View Post
All these transformations cost a lot,a lot of money to be executed.
Today ,I think that 150K€ could be a right price for this car.
If you didn't have a Dino already I would have said "buy it" .
But now that you have a 246 GTS in your garage ... buy something else ... 308 Poly (conv Gr4),Boxer,Daytona,330 GTC ...

Pics of 308 @ The Tour de Corse Historique (The Pioneer is a Michelotto and the Martini has been tuned by Makela)
I had a chat with Mäkelä and he does very serious and attractive conversions but they also come with a hefty price. I'd say a 308- or a Dino conversion are small enough and beautiful enough for my liking, the Dino being the best looker. Time will tell.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #35 of 36 Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Confucius say: Better to start with $30K car and make hot rod than monkey with $100+K car. Confucius corollary: Better to spend $50K on $30K car and have $45K car when done than spend $75K on $100+K car and have $100K car when done.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #36 of 36 Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Confucius say: Better to start with $30K car and make hot rod than monkey with $100+K car. Confucius corollary: Better to spend $50K on $30K car and have $45K car when done than spend $75K on $100+K car and have $100K car when done.

Wise words, there is a 330 GTC for sale in the UK for GBP 195k which has had at least GBP 100k put into it to turn it into a race car. Probably worth less now than just a nice 330 GTC.
Boxer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale