Dino DIY - Removing the window chrome, seal, and glass - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Garage
Dino DIY - Removing the window chrome, seal, and glass

The rear and front Dino windows are formidable pieces of material with complex curves that are expensive and delicate. Originals are NLA and I've heard horror stories about repros possibly not having the same dimensions, so removal must be done without inflicting damage. When painting there are techniques to avoid removing the glass but many folks prefer to remove them. Here is how I removed the glass in my 1973 246 GTS #05702.
First, I decided that I would have to replace the rubber seals and I did not try to save them. Trying to save them seemed like it might cause too much flexing of the glass than I was comfortable with. The seals are expensive but readily available, so the seals were deemed expendable.
Prep the area by affixing a suction clamp on the center of the glass. This will give you a safety hold to grip the glass when it comes free. Also wear leather gloves around the edge of the glass to prevent cuts.
Woods makes a great 6 inch suction cup that I've seen glass installers use and I have the same cup on my Manfrotto car camera mount. It looks a bit odd with the tripod head but it is one of the best suction cups around. Paid for itself in this application alone
http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-302...era-mount.html

Starting at one corner's end, gently separate the chrome from the rubber with a soft prying tool. The glass should not be used as a prying surface and the glass should not be moved or pressured if you're doing this step correctly. You only want to separate teh chrome from the rubber.

Go slowly with the goal of not deforming the chrome. When you have a small section raised, then string two lines through and behind the chrome. One line will be your pull for the top and the other goes along the bottom.
Gently work the lines in parallel along the top and bottom channels, doing a little at a time.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Remove the chrome first

Chase the chrome trim out of the rubber groove in even and parallel movements along the top and bottom. Don't rush it and be careful. If you have a helper to "spot" and hold the suction cup that is great. When the chrome trim removal comes to the end there may be a slight amount of resistance but work it to release.
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Remove the rubber seal in "filleting" cuts, each one closer to the glass

Have a helper hold the suction cup as you work toward freeing it.
Use a sharp razor blade or Exact-o knife and start cutting the rubber seal out. All you need is one side to free the glass and I started at the bottom because it was easiest to access. I cut the rubber seal in strips, much like I was filetting a fish.
Attached Images

post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Remove the glass and store it with full support across the width

Make sure your helper has a great grip on the suction cup and is ready for its release.

Chase the cuts across the full length of the rubber seal until nothing prevents the glass from being released. Gently remove the glass and place it in a safe place. When storing the glass, be sure to support the glass across its full width. Remember that glass is a fluid!
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx a bunch forthe DIY threads, SCM246. Altho I do not possess the skills, I do enjoy seeing these step by step works. Those curvacious glasses are indeed delicate and expensive to replace. I noticed that even the triangular sidevent glasses have delicate cruvatures to them. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 11 Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
quallity postings. Absolutely need more of those types of posting.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Thanks a lot for the tricks.

I hope you will show us how to put the glass back in place .
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
Make sure your helper has a great grip on the suction cup and is ready for its release.

Chase the cuts across the full length of the rubber seal until nothing prevents the glass from being released. Gently remove the glass and place it in a safe place. When storing the glass, be sure to support the glass across its full width. Remember that glass is a fluid!
You state that the removed glass should be fully supported across its width because the glass is "fluid." By fluid, so you mean that the glass is so flexible that it may twist and crack or shatter if not fully supported. Or by fluid you mean that the glass is so malleable that it may distort and take a slightly different shape if not fully supported. By the way, what type of material did you use to support the glass after you removed it? Also, is ti preferable to store the glass vertically (the same way that it sits when installed) or horizontally (on the flatter surface)?

Hawaii 5-0
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
You state that the removed glass should be fully supported across its width because the glass is "fluid." By fluid, so you mean that the glass is so flexible that it may twist and crack or shatter if not fully supported.

Hawaii 5-0
As you say.

Styrofoam is a good material upon which to rest it.
Either flat with the curves supported or along its edge with the flat surfaces cushioned against shock.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
As you say.
Styrofoam is a good material upon which to rest it.
Either flat with the curves supported or along its edge with the flat surfaces cushioned against shock.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
You state that the removed glass should be fully supported across its width because the glass is "fluid." By fluid, so you mean that the glass is so flexible that it may twist and crack or shatter if not fully supported. Or by fluid you mean that the glass is so malleable that it may distort and take a slightly different shape if not fully supported. By the way, what type of material did you use to support the glass after you removed it? Also, is ti preferable to store the glass vertically (the same way that it sits when installed) or horizontally (on the flatter surface)?

Hawaii 5-0
OK, perhaps too much hyperbole. Technically glass is a fluid, but in a practical sense it would take hundreds of years to see the flow.

"Support the glass well" probably more clearly states it.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
+1

OK, perhaps too much hyperbole. Technically glass is a fluid, but in a practical sense it would take hundreds of years to see the flow.

"Support the glass well" probably more clearly states it.
Thanks for the clarification about the glass. I will pass this info to the repair facility along with your step by step guide on the removal procedure for the rear glass.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode