Dino DIY - Replacing the hoses on the fuel crossover pipe - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Garage
Dino DIY - Replacing the hoses on the fuel crossover pipe

While I was removing the headers on 246 GTS Dino #05082 for ceramic coating I noticed the fuel tank crossover hoses had micro cracks in them and needed replacing.

There are two fuel tanks of the Dino and they are spanned by a crossover pipe, sealed by a 1 and 3/8 inch hose on each end. In the factory parts manual table 7, the hoses are items 16 and the clamps are items 17. Item 28 is a one foot long cover on the pipe that does not seal anything but it provides bump protection from the adjacent water coolant pipes.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
From far away one of the two hoses didn't look especially bad, but up close the other was blatantly showing fatigue cracks.
Scary, eh?
Attached Images

post #3 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Safely jack the Dino up, secure it properly before getting underneath and unfasten the four hose clamps on the two hoses. I had to use an exacto knife to cutoff one hose to make space to move the pipe out.
Attached Images

post #4 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Once removed I could flex the hose to reveal how bad the cracks really are. Here's a hose that is due for replacing.
Attached Images

post #5 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I cleaned up the cross pipe inside and out, then found a foot long, 1 and 3/8 inch hose for the protective cover.

I purchased two sets of hoses;
- the two Gates on the left are from T. Rutlands and have a white stripe on them.
- the two solid black ones on the right are from Superformance UK

Both are high quality but I chose the two Gates hoses and pre-assembled them with four brand, new clamps.
Attached Images

post #6 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Reinstall the crossover pipe and hoses, then tighten the clamps.
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx and appreciate such detailed step by step how to pics, SCM246. It almost makes me think that I can do that too ??? Your vast knowledge and experience are appreciated very much. Luv to see more. Thanx again. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
Start a regular regiment of squeezing those fuel hoses a few times a month. Depending on your area and the amount of alcohol your fuel will see, they will start to get spongy in short order. The OE hose, albeit quite good, is simply not up to the requirements that the alcohol fuel demands.

Get your eyes on the fill neck hose as well. Once the crossovers look like that, the fill neck is close behind.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehelms View Post
Start a regular regiment of squeezing those fuel hoses a few times a month. Depending on your area and the amount of alcohol your fuel will see, they will start to get spongy in short order. The OE hose, albeit quite good, is simply not up to the requirements that the alcohol fuel demands.

Get your eyes on the fill neck hose as well. Once the crossovers look like that, the fill neck is close behind.
Sage, seasoned advice. Of course. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 16 Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:

Thanks, great advice; I'll check them for sponginess periodically.

I bought these from Ted Rutlands and Superformance UK 6 months ago along with the neck filler. Unfortunately their neck filler is a step-down sized hose, so I'm at a standstill there. It appears to fit the filler pipe but not the tank top (I might try stretching it?)

Dave, I actually was hoping you would show up back on the scene because we hadn't heard from you in a while. I wanted to see if Rampante Innovations has 1+3/8" fuel tank crossover and filler hoses too?
http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovatio...solutions.html

I'm making a master parts crossover list and it sure would be great to have a superior product.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
Thanks, great advice; I'll check them for sponginess periodically.

I bought these from Ted Rutlands and Superformance UK 6 months ago along with the neck filler. Unfortunately their neck filler is a step-down sized hose, so I'm at a standstill there. It appears to fit the filler pipe but not the tank top (I might try stretching it?)

Dave, I actually was hoping you would show up back on the scene because we hadn't heard from you in a while. I wanted to see if Rampante Innovations has 1+3/8" fuel tank crossover and filler hoses too?
http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovatio...solutions.html

I'm making a master parts crossover list and it sure would be great to have a superior product.

Sorry to have disappeared, both my wife and myself have been battling medical crud since the holidays and have tried to focus on that while Niki has held the shop together.... I have now lived long enough to be a PITA to my kids....it was worth the wait!!!

We have the fill neck and cross over hose on the shelf in 4 ft lengths that I cut for application. Installed and fit to the 72 Dino we have in the shop now with no fitment issues at all. I will post some photo's when I get in this AM.

Squeeze the hoses now while things are still dry and again after one day with fuel in them....you will already at that point feel the difference. The alcohol and the additives put in the fuel to hold everything in suspension permeates the inner liner of that OE hose in very short order and starts to break down the outer layers of the hose. What once was proven reliable for decades is now not good for months....the game rules have changed when hog food was used for fuel. A look see on the small diameter fuel hoses is in order as long as the car is up on stands. If they are hard as a rock or limp and spongy....do them now as they will leak after the car sits and cools down for a few days and the pump is fired back up. After a few minutes of contact with fuel again they swell back up and the leakage slows until the next time... a dangerous situation.

Dave

Last edited by davehelms; 02-24-2010 at 03:40 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Fitment
Attached Images

post #13 of 16 Old 02-24-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Fitment
Nice!
I would like to buy these and have sent an email to the address on the SRInnovations website. Thanks.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
Nice!
I would like to buy these and have sent an email to the address on the SRInnovations website. Thanks.
Got it.

I think today we will be back up to full staff and can reply....Kris wont let me anywhere near the accounting computer that has pricing. She knows what happens when I mess with computers and considers the office door a gauntlet to be used against me.... its tough working with two women!

I finally found the time to get back to the trunk switch you helped me with. I fabed the missing mounting bracket and in an attempt to find the perfect alignment had to stuff Niki in the trunk with a flashlight and close the lid.... sure helps to have a Smurf on hand for just these occations! Payback.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
5 years later and I removed the Gates white stripe and they were definitely affected by the new fuel formulations and although not failing they were soft and very flexible from their original.

Installed the SRI cross tank hoses and fuel filler neck hose
Attached Images

post #16 of 16 Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Scott- Looks like a permanent fix.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode