post #22 of 37 Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
You are a smartalec.

So who could talk you out of anything?

Go with the decision. Could be worse.
post #23 of 37 Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
meanwhile, you are the ultimate pessimist on the CA. i read your other posts, advising others to stand by and not jump into this car due to heavy depreciation. thats exactly my concern. what gives. im trying to decide to wait it out

post #24 of 37 Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalec View Post
meanwhile, you are the ultimate pessimist on the CA. i read your other posts, advising others to stand by and not jump into this car due to heavy depreciation. thats exactly my concern. what gives. im trying to decide to wait it out
It is really a toss up on the depreciation, my personal opinion is that it will take a big initial hit but then stabilize fairly quickly. The Cal Spider is unknown territory in terms of the normal Ferrari depreciation curve. Key factors being:

- is it considered a 2 seater or a 2+2
- does it get the usual Spider premium
- does it broaden the Ferrari market
- what sort of reputation for reliability and maintenance cost does it develop
post #25 of 37 Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 AM

you raise good points here
post #26 of 37 Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
you raise good points here
Question is in 30 years will it be priced in the same league as a:

Dino 246 GT

or a

Dino 308 GT4
post #27 of 37 Old 06-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Question is in 30 years will it be priced in the same league as a:

Dino 246 GT

or a

Dino 308 GT4
Dino is not a good comparison. Let's look at California's vintage predecessor that sold last month. a clip is also below

http://www.gizmag.com/coburn-ferrari...on-price/9369/

May 23, 2008 It is perhaps appropriate that just a few days after Ferrari released details of its delectable new California model, that a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder should set a world record auction price of EUR 7,040,000 (US$11,070,000). No doubt buoyed by its celebrity provenance (it was formerly owned for 25 years by Academy Award winning actor James Coburn),
post #28 of 37 Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
---. i read your other posts, advising others to stand by and not jump into this car due to heavy depreciation. thats exactly my concern. what gives. im trying to decide to wait it out
Then why did you jump in to buy one?
post #29 of 37 Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM

the fact is no one needs a car like this. we just want it. i always thought F cars, especially spiders, were bullet proof on value. so i just decided to go ahead. however, the continuing debate and continuing price drops on other F cars since i my decision, has made me think twice. i would be foolish to ignore the legitimate points raised by you and others. on the other hand, no one knows what will happen, since it is a new model. i dont mind taking some hits. but a 40-50% drop in 2 years is out of control, and if true, the equivalent of knowingly running into a propeller. so when sane people make such dire predictions, its hard to be an ostrich and ignore them
post #30 of 37 Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Dino is not a good comparison. Let's look at California's vintage predecessor that sold last month. a clip is also below

http://www.gizmag.com/coburn-ferrari...on-price/9369/

May 23, 2008 It is perhaps appropriate that just a few days after Ferrari released details of its delectable new California model, that a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder should set a world record auction price of EUR 7,040,000 (US$11,070,000). No doubt buoyed by its celebrity provenance (it was formerly owned for 25 years by Academy Award winning actor James Coburn),
Reason for choosing the 2 "Dinos" as one has ended up being worth 5 times the other depsite having very similar "new" prices.
post #31 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 144
I actually promised to my wife one of these… =) …a red one, that’s unquestionable when it refers to Ferrari. =)

My Heart Is Red Because I Love FERRARI !!!!
post #32 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 AM

you must have done something really, really bad to make that kind of promise
post #33 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Saw a California today at DENVER Ferrari and personally do not like it at all. It was blue with fawn interior. This is the second I've seen and I believe the Rosso was a bit nicer. For the most part didn't like it from the front , the sides or the rear. Can't believe it has tail lights set into the trunk which don't light up when you stop,then blackened stop lights above the bumper?? The inside is stubby and cheap. So is it a two seater, then in after thought became a 4 seater?? This car will definitely not become a collector. It will become a money pit !
Docf
post #34 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Owner

I believe the car looks better in dark colors but its resemblance to the Maserati GT is going to detract from it's identity.

I think this may have been a mistake for Ferrari.

This is why I liken it to the 308 GT4.

It's new so it's exciting but that wears off fast.

Every time I see my 360 in the garage I realize how beautiful the car is and just how classic it is and will always be.

I doubt the Calif will ever approach that level.
post #35 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I took these last week at a Ferrari and Lambo gathering I attended. Still not sure about the California. The dark grey is quite a good colour, but I still don't think the car has that "WOW, look at me, I'm a Ferrari" factor. In comparison, look at the last pic of the 16M Scud Spider. That looks like a Ferrari.
I'm sure the California is a fantastic and ultra reliable car, and would be a great Maserati, Lancia or Alfa, but a Ferrari? I'm not sure
Attached Images

Archie
post #36 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM

thanks for the nice picks. i ordered mine in dark gray with yellow calipers too, but with charcoal interior and yellow stitching, and had not seen a gray one before to know if i would like it. i do. agree it lacks the wow but i was looking for that little more subdued look, porsche like reliablity, almost a daily driver, but with a hard top convertible
post #37 of 37 Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I think the dark grey with charcoal and yellow stitching will go very nicely, I quite like the cream interior too, but charcoal is far more practical.
I think that you are right about it being more of a daily driver than other Ferrari's, I hope that they are as reliable as Porsches as it might finally blow away the myth that Ferrari's are always breaking down.
Good luck with it, and I hope it turns out to be everything that you want

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode