Orders: Ferrari California - Page 5 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 143 Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Yes that sounds like fun, this is for the Challenge race correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 143 Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Deliveries have started in Europe. Production line is running at full tilt.
post #83 of 143 Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Yes that sounds like fun, this is for the Challenge race correct?
Somewhat. More to enjoy the day with friends on Sat May 2.

Everyone to bring some dish (not chicken salad) that we can all share.

post #84 of 143 Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
I think regarding residuals everyone seems to be thinking from the old fashioned school of Ferrari's must be raw/ focused etc.

In my opinion the residuals will hold up well as there is a whole new resale market of families/ women/ older gentlemen who wouldn't have considered an 'old ferrari', as old tends to be more difficult to drive than new (a decent approximation).

Once these things get around 100k I think they will hold up v well until production ceases.
post #85 of 143 Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Saw a low mileage 612 Scag yesterday, advertised for less than 80K GBP, I think it was an 04? That's a huge % depreciation in just a few years. I think the California will be just as bad. Nothing in the mass produced luxury 2+2 sector is holding up well at the moment. There are plenty of 3 year old Bentley's and Aston's for under 50K at present, can't see why the California will be any different.

Archie
post #86 of 143 Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
that would be a disaster for Ferrari, but in these times not un-expected

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #87 of 143 Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
I think regarding residuals everyone seems to be thinking from the old fashioned school of Ferrari's must be raw/ focused etc.

In my opinion the residuals will hold up well as there is a whole new resale market of families/ women/ older gentlemen who wouldn't have considered an 'old ferrari', as old tends to be more difficult to drive than new (a decent approximation).

Once these things get around 100k I think they will hold up v well until production ceases.
If so, then it will have broken the trend of every other Ferrari 2+2.

Not to be negative but look at Maseratis, the Gransports are holding value better than the Quattroportes. The less hard core a sports car it is, the more violent the depreciation.
post #88 of 143 Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Owner

Rules (like speed limits) are there too be broken!

In me eyes I don't think it is right to compare California with 456/ 612 in terms of depreciation, it is a V8 Cabrio with wider market appeal.

While you can say 2+2's are the worst depreciators; V8's are always the best depreciators. And look how the 550 Barchetta and 575 Superamerica's values hold up, and they're front engined cabrio's (yes i am discouting the rarity value).

From my point of view, I'm 27, if I have kids in a few years then i would definitely consider it on the used market to supplement the 550 (and hopefully a Testarossa!) . I would never consider a 612 to fulfill the same task.

post #89 of 143 Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Owner

You make some interesting points there, and only time will tell how the California will fare. Maybe a better comparison would be the Mondial Cabriolet?

Archie
post #90 of 143 Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I had a tour of the factory including the new California production line last week.
That must have been great to see. I've just got the lastest issue of EVO magazine and they have done a article where they follow the birth of a red California currently being built to see the whole manufacturing process that goes into the Cali. It's an interesting article and has some great inside the factory pictures. They say it actually takes 3 weeks to build a California from start to finish. In the article once the California is complete, this is a quote ''In those early photos, it looked all wrong. In the flesh it looks entirely, stunningly right.''

The next article in the magazine is where they take this new red California for a drive around the streets of Maranello. Some quotes again from the article ''Be in no doubt, this is a great Ferrari'', ''The result is almost inexplicably great, Ferrari to the core'', ''Whatever the truth, it feels assertively rapid''. Then when talking about the sound of the car ''In the case of the California, the sonic signature is more heart-stopping than the shape that owns it. In best cases, sight and sound meld perfectly as in the case of the 430 Scuderia and 360 Challenge Stradale before it'', ''Fact is, the California is a real, red-blooded Ferrari''.

So EVO seem to love the California. I've heard it quite a few times already, that if you had any doubt, seeing one in person will do a good job at changing your feelings towards the car. Doesn't mean you are going to jump and place an order but at least you wont dislike it anymore and that is what Ferrari want, for people to like their cars as who knows what the future might hold for you, today you say no but in the years to come you might want one. I know I'm one of those, I need to see one in person, I wont buy one yet buy I cant say either that I would never buy one
post #91 of 143 Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I've seen it in the flesh now in a couple of colours and each time, I must say that it just left me cold. I view it with practically the same level of interest as a Bentley or Rolls: I admire the quality, it's a good car, it's not that bad looking, but I would never buy one.

When the F430 came out I thought "phwooaaarrrrrrrr! IwantoneIwantoneIwantoneIwantone". That's how a new Ferrari is supposed to make you feel, IMHO. It's hard to explain why, but the California doesn't do that for me.

Nonetheless, I would love to experience driving one to see if it really is such a revelation to drive.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #92 of 143 Old 04-20-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike430 View Post
That must have been great to see. I've just got the lastest issue of EVO magazine and they have done a article where they follow the birth of a red California currently being built to see the whole manufacturing process that goes into the Cali. It's an interesting article and has some great inside the factory pictures. They say it actually takes 3 weeks to build a California from start to finish. In the article once the California is complete, this is a quote ''In those early photos, it looked all wrong. In the flesh it looks entirely, stunningly right.''

The next article in the magazine is where they take this new red California for a drive around the streets of Maranello. Some quotes again from the article ''Be in no doubt, this is a great Ferrari'', ''The result is almost inexplicably great, Ferrari to the core'', ''Whatever the truth, it feels assertively rapid''. Then when talking about the sound of the car ''In the case of the California, the sonic signature is more heart-stopping than the shape that owns it. In best cases, sight and sound meld perfectly as in the case of the 430 Scuderia and 360 Challenge Stradale before it'', ''Fact is, the California is a real, red-blooded Ferrari''.

So EVO seem to love the California. I've heard it quite a few times already, that if you had any doubt, seeing one in person will do a good job at changing your feelings towards the car. Doesn't mean you are going to jump and place an order but at least you wont dislike it anymore and that is what Ferrari want, for people to like their cars as who knows what the future might hold for you, today you say no but in the years to come you might want one. I know I'm one of those, I need to see one in person, I wont buy one yet buy I cant say either that I would never buy one
Personally I still don't like it. Just leaves me cold.

Seeing the 430 Scuds, Scud 16Ms, and 599s, that was a totally diffferent experience. Watching them being built, you just stand there dreaming about driving one.

Remember the EVO article is writtne by journalist who don't want to be cut out of the information and inside access loop by Ferrari.
post #93 of 143 Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Owner

Quote:
Remember the EVO article is writtne by journalist who don't want to be cut out of the information and inside access loop by Ferrari.
Ferrari reads forums like this. It knows how poor the reaction has been to the California. I am certain the EVO article is a Ferrari marketing exercise. Call me a cynic.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #94 of 143 Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Ferrari reads forums like this. It knows how poor the reaction has been to the California. I am certain the EVO article is a Ferrari marketing exercise. Call me a cynic.

Onno
Complete marketing exercise. Access to many of those parts of the factory is near impossible to obtain and photography is completely forbidden.

As a reference, I do not remember similar "inside the factory" articles on the 599 or 430.
post #95 of 143 Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Complete marketing exercise. Access to many of those parts of the factory is near impossible to obtain and photography is completely forbidden.

As a reference, I do not remember similar "inside the factory" articles on the 599 or 430.
A couple of years ago there was a program on Discovery call 'Megastructures', one episode was all about the Ferrari factories at Maranello, it showed the foundary making 599 engines and the 599 production line. If you haven't seen it, might be worth looking it up on youtube.

Archie
post #96 of 143 Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Seeing the 430 Scuds, Scud 16Ms, and 599s, that was a totally diffferent experience. Watching them being built, you just stand there dreaming about driving one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Ferrari reads forums like this. It knows how poor the reaction has been to the California. I am certain the EVO article is a Ferrari marketing exercise. Call me a cynic. Onno
Yeah, I never thought of it that way. They are basically telling you what you want to hear or what Ferrari want you to hear ie: that it's a true Ferrari through and through.

Now seeing the production line of the Scuderia and 599, must be awesome to see. These are two models I often day dream about driving

Quote:

It's true, this article was the first I've come across and that is why I thought it was interesting. With the 430 and 599, people fell in love with these cars just by looking at the pictures of them, so I guess there was no need to ''convince'' people that they are great Ferrari's unlike what they are having to do with the California.

I know I said that I cant rule out I would never buy one but the California would definitely not be my choice of a first Ferrari as it is with most orders received for it apparently, as I can think of many other Ferrari's that I would love to own and go through before the new California.
post #97 of 143 Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Owner

Is it a fair generalisation to say that the California is going to appeal to potential Ferrari owners who are not your classic 'forum readers'?

I would say people conversing on ferrari forums are more likely to be the die harders who would prefer the more hardcore/ traditional models.

People who actually end up buying California's probably aren't Ferrari forum contributors, so its not fair to take their view as 'the' view on the car.

I know in my business (CFD's) the only people who ever talk about you on forums are people moaning about one thing or the other. So we really don't care what gets said about on forums, as the clients we like and want to keep don't go on them!
post #98 of 143 Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
Is it a fair generalisation to say that the California is going to appeal to potential Ferrari owners who are not your classic 'forum readers'?

I would say people conversing on ferrari forums are more likely to be the die harders who would prefer the more hardcore/ traditional models.

People who actually end up buying California's probably aren't Ferrari forum contributors, so its not fair to take their view as 'the' view on the car.

I know in my business (CFD's) the only people who ever talk about you on forums are people moaning about one thing or the other. So we really don't care what gets said about on forums, as the clients we like and want to keep don't go on them!
That is true. But the real value of a company is how much the general public values that company. And this depends directly on "die harders." As a consequence, a company which defects the "die harders" is going for the fast buck, but is probably losing the long-term appeal which should be its main asset in say 10-20 years.

Porsche is the classic example of that. In the 80s, a comparison between a Ferrari 308 GTB and a Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera (the entry models of both brands) was fair. Nowadays, comparing a Boxster 987 with a F430 or even with a California is just ludicruous.

Porsche has won a lot of market value "selling itself" and losing its soul. Probably in 10-20 years "buying a Porsche" will not mean the same as "buying a Porsche" meant today or 10 years ago.

Everything depends if you want a fast buck for your company, or you love your company to stay close to its core values for the long term.
post #99 of 143 Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by farstar View Post
Everything depends if you want a fast buck for your company, or you love your company to stay close to its core values for the long term.
Businesses that forget about their core go belly-up. It is a golden rule, that people always think they can break but they never do. At best they postpone the inevitable. Porsche is at the moment being heralded as "the" sportscar business model. But trust me - they are going to south. So far they've managed to hold onto producing true sportscars as well as crap on the side. But the crap's moving to the centre stage now. The Panamera? Come on, people, who is going to buy that? People that were considering a Volvo V70. Now the hardcore Porsche fan has to sit next to the Volvo driver at the fan club AGM... Look how quickly he will run away!

I am very worried that Ferrari is doing the exact same thing. So yes - the forum readers and posters are NOT representative of what the general view of California is. That is EXACTLY why Ferrari should sit up and take note, not try and shove it down our throats with a spin article. Many forum contributors have owned multiple Ferraris and there's a reason why they've kept coming back. Perhaps their view is not exactly null and void after all. Margins are fickle things - if you keep stretching them they spring back on you.

Onno

post #100 of 143 Old 05-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
a new low price point car. Mercedes like move, pre Bentley

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode