Ferrari California - Page 4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 82 Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
Boxer is hilarious!
Anyway, I must clarify when I meant "California", I mean for the car only not about any other related with "California"! Just does not sound right to used on a luxury super car!
Welcome to Ferrarilife! I don't mind the name It should be the Ferrari Michigan hehe

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I would have named it the Ferrari Venice as the depreciation on this model will put you underwater quickly.
LOL

great one, Boxer, you should get the job for naming Ferraris!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #63 of 82 Old 05-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
I would have named it the Ferrari Venice as the depreciation on this model will put you underwater quickly.
Or for the American market the Ferrari New Orleans.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #64 of 82 Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Or for the American market the Ferrari New Orleans.
Or the Ferrari Daytona...oh wait... already taken
post #65 of 82 Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Now that the California has been around for a few years, what is the current opinion on it?

Success?

A true Ferrari?

Will there be a California II?
post #66 of 82 Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I am surprisingly uninterested. I have only met about 5 cali owners and none of them were car guys. Heck, i wouldn't even call ferrari guys. Now this may rile up cali owners on here. not my intention, i obviously don't know all of them. Just relaying my real world experience. Also never see them at any events i attend. And I attend a lot of events. Just looked back over this post and no mention of the car itself, hmmm....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #67 of 82 Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

All the dealers I know say it has brought a new group of owners into the Ferrari fold. I just wonder how many will stay past owning a Cali and how many own multiple Ferraris.
post #68 of 82 Old 09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I'm also a little pissed they trotted out the name of my fav ferrari for this model. granted, it does make a few nods toward the original design ....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #69 of 82 Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I am impressed by the California but my guess is there will be a lighter version - adding these would be nice too.
Attached Images

Last edited by champagne612; 09-23-2012 at 01:41 PM.
post #70 of 82 Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Any idea if they will do a LWB version with usable rear seats?
post #71 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
I initially liked it, the opposite of what most apparently felt. But today, a few years on, I sorta don't care about it. I'd never buy one.
post #72 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Any idea if they will do a LWB version with usable rear seats?
Doubt it.

It's the same frame as the Maser - my guess is Maser will pick up where the Cali left off with a nice upgrade on the Stradale Maser.

The Maser is going to be the slightly less exotic line of Fiat especially with the SUV arriving.
post #73 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
We just got back from Italy and they seemed to be the most popular F-car there - if only because they are the cheapest ones to rent. Big guys sitting sideways in the back while their girlfriends drove looked downright silly....

Ironically, in three weeks we saw only five F-cars that were not rent-a-rides. The first one was a Cali (the others were two 430s and two 458s).

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #74 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
I agree with Wet .
the California is the Mondial of today and appeals to those type of people who are not to two seater car persons in my opinion .
they are new today and first time buyers .
the biggest problem is that the California has a lot of issues from what I read and there for only the die hards will stay as many will be pissed off by the gremlins . what is saving the California today is the warranty . it will go the way of the Mondial tomorrow .

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #75 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I agree with Wet .
the California is the Mondial of today and appeals to those type of people who are not to two seater car persons in my opinion .
they are new today and first time buyers .
the biggest problem is that the California has a lot of issues from what I read and there for only the die hards will stay as many will be pissed off by the gremlins . what is saving the California today is the warranty . it will go the way of the Mondial tomorrow .
The DCT was introduced in the Cali - the only gremlin are some of the ceramics and many were fixed when addressed at Ferrari's expense.

Never heard of any other issues - in fact I know a lot of guys that are on their second one.

Ferrari also just made a performance package for the Cali that is very impressive.

FWIW - I also think it's the best looking Ferrari produced today when well spec'd.
post #76 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
The DCT was introduced in the Cali - the only gremlin are some of the ceramics and many were fixed when addressed at Ferrari's expense.

Never heard of any other issues - in fact I know a lot of guys that are on their second one.

Ferrari also just made a performance package for the Cali that is very impressive.

FWIW - I also think it's the best looking Ferrari produced today when well spec'd.

Don't get me wrong, as I'm a four-seater kind of guy [was thinking why this was a lot this morning---best left for another thread] I would most likely enjoy a blinged out, CA.

BUT

Having been the 'newish'-Ferrari model route, I would wait till they sort the recalls and gremlins.

Are there more than the DCT: YES!!! quite a bit. I shall not post the numerous issues, posted from the FC owners but it almost the most scariest car I could think to enter without a warranty or issues resolved. I still feel, this as the Mondial T was a entry experiment for the later models they sorted well.

The CA will be popular and will certainly be a bargain in the next 12 years. I mean BARGAIN in depreciation, but I still might be warry.

Besides all the electrial goodies to fix down the road as aftermarket, say, GPS and 'stuff' cannot more easily fit than the OEM parts, I'd expect upkeep on a CA to be over the top, WAY over the top as they do the Ferrari spiral dance downwards.

I'd much rather sink my money into a more classic, more easily understood mechanical, and less costly [yes even after say 30 years] Ferrari than the new electrical grab-bag of problems.

Maybe I should gleen the troubled items and just post the list and numbers next to them here [albeit, it would be plagarizing you-know-who's site. ]....of course there's always google

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #77 of 82 Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, as I'm a four-seater kind of guy [was thinking why this was a lot this morning---best left for another thread] I would most likely enjoy a blinged out, CA.

BUT

Having been the 'newish'-Ferrari model route, I would wait till they sort the recalls and gremlins.

Are there more than the DCT: YES!!! quite a bit. I shall not post the numerous issues, posted from the FC owners but it almost the most scariest car I could think to enter without a warranty or issues resolved. I still feel, this as the Mondial T was a entry experiment for the later models they sorted well.

The CA will be popular and will certainly be a bargain in the next 12 years. I mean BARGAIN in depreciation, but I still might be warry.

Besides all the electrial goodies to fix down the road as aftermarket, say, GPS and 'stuff' cannot more easily fit than the OEM parts, I'd expect upkeep on a CA to be over the top, WAY over the top as they do the Ferrari spiral dance downwards.

I'd much rather sink my money into a more classic, more easily understood mechanical, and less costly [yes even after say 30 years] Ferrari than the new electrical grab-bag of problems.

Maybe I should gleen the troubled items and just post the list and numbers next to them here [albeit, it would be plagarizing you-know-who's site. ]....of course there's always google
LOL ... I thought Al Gore closed that place closed due to excessive web spam.
post #78 of 82 Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Owner

Some searching found

FIRST disclaimer: I don't hate the CA, but just listing what I've found via googling and reading other areas.

I am listing ONLY the numerous/greater-than-several reports of real problems. So, things to be aware.

feel free to expand list. This in not intended to be a hate CA post just a FYI, which should prove valuable.

Also, the apparent value of the extended warrarnty was much louded and therefore a great value.

Most issues were the pre 2012 models.

- Numerous exhaust manifold cracking: resulted in a campaign recall, but apparently not solved...then again not particulary anything new. Guessing aftermarket would be better.

- Numerous reports of 'failure on roof top'. Seems the top can unseat during the drive causing a error/warning light. Some mention software, but seems more mechanical. Early models as most these problems seems to be reside, state some sort of flex and therefore alignment problem.

- DCT problems...too numerous to list.

- iPhone/iPod connectivity problems to manily bluetooth and voice recognition also. Some mention software fix and agree. but good luck.

- A/C not working. Just quits. Seems some sort of 'restart' needs to reset the ECU or ??

- trunk problems in conjunction with roof down scenario....not sure it's a true problem but seems many 'stand on one foot and rub tummy' solutions are applied and it somehow works again?

- radio and/or HVAC stops for no reason: Reset via start/stop or battery off technique.

-

-

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #79 of 82 Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Great list.

Suggest we move this to a new thread in the current V8 section.
post #80 of 82 Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Owner

Update

Quote:
FIRST disclaimer: I don't hate the CA, but just listing what I've found via googling and reading other areas.

I am listing ONLY the numerous/greater-than-several reports of real problems. So, things to be aware.

feel free to expand list. This in not intended to be a hate CA post just a FYI, which should prove valuable.

Also, the apparent value of the extended warrarnty was much louded and therefore a great value.

Most issues were the pre 2012 models.

- Numerous exhaust manifold cracking: resulted in a campaign recall, but apparently not solved...then again not particulary anything new. Guessing aftermarket would be better.

- Numerous reports of 'failure on roof top'. Seems the top can unseat during the drive causing a error/warning light. Some mention software, but seems more mechanical. Early models as most these problems seems to be reside, state some sort of flex and therefore alignment problem.

- DCT problems...too numerous to list.

- iPhone/iPod connectivity problems to manily bluetooth and voice recognition also. Some mention software fix and agree. but good luck.

- A/C not working. Just quits. Seems some sort of 'restart' needs to reset the ECU or ??

- trunk problems in conjunction with roof down scenario....not sure it's a true problem but seems many 'stand on one foot and rub tummy' solutions are applied and it somehow works again?

- radio and/or HVAC stops for no reason: Reset via start/stop or battery off technique.

- Ferrari plans to recall about 200 cars globally [CA and Italias], 100 of which are in the United States, because of malformed crankshafts: Replacement engines have been offered.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2579FA001A81F6

- AHV system failure, CST system failure and Manetinno failure all same time: Seems to be a brake switch problem.

- Starting problems with either the switch or?? factory in trying to understand the error codes put out resolved by replacing the entire car battery.
Quote:
Great list.

Suggest we move this to a new thread in the current V8 section.
Probably not a bad idea.

Tax would be a help in constructing it as well as linking the recall bulls and other paperwork items.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 09-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode