Scuderia Audio 458 Amplifier Project - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Scuderia Audio 458 Amplifier Project

I have had SO many people tell me they want to purchase one of my speaker boxes for their 458 but have no place to mount an amplifier for it without it looking stupid (and I agree). So, I am designing a "false floor" to mount the amp at the bottom of the trunk (just like I did with my 3000 Watt car audio system in my 360). My local Ferrari mechanic just happens to have a spare trunk at his shop after replacing it with a new one in a 458 Italia. It has a small crack in the bottom of the plastic but is perfect for my R&D efforts. After realizing that the bottom piece of carpet is a perfect pattern, I cut a piece of 1/4" HDPE and did the test fit this afternoon - fits perfectly! The reason the bottom piece has the funny shape is because of raised areas in the carpet to accommodate the shape of the car. The top piece will be smooth and have no cutouts (i.e. basically the shape of the carpet).
Now I need to cut a piece of 3/8" thick (or thicker) polycarbonate for the top cover. The amp bolts onto the bottom piece (which bolts to the floor using existing fasteners), and the top piece will be covered with either carpet, suede or Alcantara, and no one will be able to tell anything is in there at a glance. The trunk will lose only 1 1/2" to 2" in depth. Additionally, I am contemplating sectioning off the fixture into two areas, one for the amp and other electronics, and the other side for car cleaning supplies, wrenches, cloths, whatever.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

So, the official depth of this fixture needs to be two inches deep. This will accommodate a 500 Watt amplifier, most spray bottles (for quick detailer, etc.) and whatever, without sacrificing much trunk depth.
To be able to manufacture the "tub" with one piece of plastic, I would need pieces that were 2 1/2" thick. So, I called my local plastic supplier and received a quote on a 4' x 8', 2 1/2" thick piece of polypropylene. The price didn't shock me (~$1400.00), but the weight... 500 pounds!!
I would either have to have them cut that piece down to the dimensions close to the prototype base shown in the original post, or purchase a bunch of 1/2" thick sheets and machine pieces that would be stacked together. I'm meeting with my machinist on Thursday afternoon so we can discuss our options.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

I CNC machined a piece of 3/4" MDF into a prototype bottom plate for the fixture. Pockets were machined out on the seven locations where the carpet rises up (see above photos) to a 1/2" depth. This way, the inside surface of the fixture will be smooth. Taking to a 458 for a test fit during lunch today. Next up is to machine two 1" thick "walls", bolt the three pieces together and test fit. Once I get this far, only the top covers remain to be engineered. I still haven't quite figured out how I am going to do this. I do know that I want two lids, a smaller one towards the rear of the car for the electronics and a larger one near the nose for accessories. This will be easier to visualize once I show pictures of the completed fixture without the lids.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

The first prototype mentioned above was close, but a bit too small. The second prototype fit perfectly. Spent much of last night machining another (as well as the pieces that form the "walls" of the enclosure) out of 3/4" black HDPE. The pieces will be fastened together using M8 machine screws.
Pictures coming tonight or tomorrow.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Just ignore the rough, unfinished edges of the prototype. The main thing is that it fits perfectly, looks great and is really functional. Tonight I'll be working on the final section - the top. This is going to have two functional lids: The front lid (that opens toward the front) that houses the amplifier, and the rear lid (that opens toward the rear) that houses other goodies. The lids themselves are 1/4" unbreakable polycarbonate. I didn't want it too thick, but it had to be thick enough for someone to stand on (in reality, to be able to hold a heavy load).
I have two full sized polycarbonate hinges that should work perfectly. However, since the lids will be covered in Alcantara, I make it a point not to finalize any design that involves upholstery until my upholstery expert looks at it first.
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

After meeting with the upholsterer and going over several different ideas for the lid, we agreed that a simple, pressure fit, one piece lid was going to be the cleanest, simplest, most trouble free design. I'll simply take the Auto CAD drawing of the base and add 1/16" extra to the outside shape and cut the lid from this file. A one inch access hole will be added near the front center for easy removal. A hard plastic grommet will be inserted into the access hole for a cleaner look.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

My 458 buddy mentioned that if a hard plastic grommet was protruding up from the surface of the lid, things would get stuck against it and could not move freely. Good point! So instead, I created a pocket around the access hole thin enough to wrap the Alcantara around it without any flaws.
Now that the prototype is complete, I need to bug my buddy to get his 458 over to my shop (or vise versa) so I can take a few pro photographs of the enclosure mounted in the trunk.
There are some options here. I will be selling the super heavy duty (but very heavy) version, or the very light version. Also, the amp section can go towards the front of the car or towards the rear.
PM me for special pricing before I put it up on my website.
Attached Images

post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Two orders already - thanks guys! :-)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-27-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Product now on official website.

As always, thanks for all the feedback! :-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode