Scuderia Audio 458 Components Project - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Scuderia Audio 458 Components Project

I have been making slow but steady progress.
It's always difficult to get a new product line going, especially when the cars are so new. I just can't show up at the dealer and say, "Hey, can you let me dismantle one of your brand new Ferraris??"

A local Ferrari only auto wrecker was generous enough to allow me to take some measurements of a bare 458 door for the purposes of engineering some adapter plates, similar to the ones I sell for the 430 and 360 models. I had a couple of prototypes laser cut from aluminum and need to get back up to the auto wrecker for a final test fit. If this goes well, I can have a production run of stainless counterparts machined, then have the stainless fasteners tig welded to the plates. This will take care of the midrange installation.
I am also ordering a few of the small, black plastic triangles that are mounted at the bottom of the 'A' pillars on the doors. A template is being made to be able to install high end tweeters into these "pods" (again, similar to the 430 and 360 models). This takes care of the tweeter install.
I just paid $200 for a Ferrari 458 shop manual. I need this so that I can take the door cards off of the doors and remove the center console without any fear of damaging anything. The next step is to make another series of installation videos, this time for the 458, on how to remove the door card (if necessary), install the adapter plate and the midrange speakers, install the tweeters, how to remove the center console to run speaker wire from the trunk to the back of the cab, then how to install the subwoofer enclosure behind the seats.
Will keep you guys posted.
:-)
Mike Niday
www.scuderiaaudio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I went to the auto wrecker this afternoon, pulled the 458 door off of the shelf, and, voila! The adapter plate fits perfectly. I also discovered that the four mounting points are actually rivnuts, which makes the installation even easier. As soon as the small black plastic triangles arrive, I will be able to work on mounting the tweeters.
The last image is actually one of the 430 adapter plates. I just wanted to see what the Focal midrange looked like in there.
Attached Images

post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

It didn't take long to realize that the 458 shop manual was well worth the money. The instructions are very clear on removing the door cards, firewall trim, wiring harness information, etc.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

After looking through the 458 shop manual, I need to rethink the adapter plate project.
The shop manual shows a thick black plastic "riser" that bolts to the door, that the midrange speaker bolts to. I just purchased an OEM 458 midrange speaker and riser from an exotic auto wrecker.
This actually makes things much easier. Right now, the 458 speaker bolts onto the riser and that's that. All I have to do is make an adapter plate that bolts onto the riser. Stay tuned...
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Okay, sorry about the scare. My bracket is going to work just fine. Better than the OEM setup in fact. The riser is only for the "hi-fi" 200mm driver. Otherwise, the standard midrange mounts flat, just like my adapter plate.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

A picture is worth a thousand words.
The first two images are right out of the 458 shop manual. The standard midrange bolted to the door and the hifi midrange bolted to the adapter which is bolted to the door. The remaining images are of the adapter itself, my adapter, and the standard midrange. My adapter plate will have adhesive backed foam on the back, just like the OEM adapter plate.
Now I understand why so many 458 owners are complaining about the stereo sound - this has to be the cheapest midrange driver known to man.
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 Old 05-06-2016, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

I picked up the first batch of stainless adapter plates from the machine shop, hand carried them to the welding shop to have the fasteners tig welded onto the backs, then covered with Dynamat brand Dynaliner. Product is up on the website and the orders are already coming in!

Midrange Adapter Plates for 458 |Scuderiaaudio.com
post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode