F458 Spider Production Wait Question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
F458 Spider Production Wait Question

Hi. I'm a Newbee to this forum.

I'm fortunate to have received a December 2014 allocation for a new F458 Spider. Plant closed down for the holidays and apparently didn't open until Jan 8. I haven't received my login yet. I'm told the car is status 10 (but they don't know if black or red yet). I assume it's still black 10. It's now Feb 5, so curious how long it usually takes to get going.

A few questions:

Does anyone here who received a Dec 2014 allocation for any model have their login yet?
Or do you have a status beyond 10?
How long might it take until my car goes status 20 (chassis assembly at Scaglietti)?
At what status point (10, 20, 30, etc.) does the login get sent out to the owner?

I have read some posts that said the status is not kept up in real time, so the car might be further along than the status indicates.

Thx in advance for any thoughts here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Might help if we knew where you are located? In the USA?

My Speciale' started production after shutdown in early September, I received my car a week before Christmas if that helps. I am located in the USA in WA. State.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #3 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

HI. Thank you. I'm in NYC. Sounds like you got it fast, but they may be putting a priority on the Speciale over the regular model which will likely go out of production this year or early next.

post #4 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by f458spider View Post
HI. Thank you. I'm in NYC. Sounds like you got it fast, but they may be putting a priority on the Speciale over the regular model which will likely go out of production this year or early next.

You might consider flipping it immediately, and getting on the list for the 488? Don't know if this is your first Ferrari or not.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #5 of 28 Old 02-05-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Thx, but I already posted my opinion on the new car on another thread:

"Great car, but so glad I don't like it too much. Getting the F458 Spider this spring and I prefer the naturally aspirated sound. Don't like the side scoops here. Too much. Liked them better on the F355. I like the front end on the F458 and Speciale better. Also like the center three pipes on the back of the F458. I'm not one to have the have the most powerful Ferrari. I owned a pre-owned F355 form 2000 to 2002, so the F458 will be a huge move up in so many ways (totally different car). I'll wait for the next gen of this car and enjoy the regular version for a while. I'm going to try not to get caught up in having the latest and greatest. But this is a understandably great evolution of the car."

I love the current F458 style and over all look. Also getting a Spyder and the new one wont be out for a while. No rush.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, so far a beyond frustrating experience with Ferrari. You would think that after making a deposit and receiving and allocation that after 1.5 months the dealer would be proactive and keep me updated. Nope. I have to be the "bad guy" and pester them for updates, and still get no clear answers as to what is happening. If I walk into Tiffany, Cartier, etc. they go out of their way on making sure the customer feels like they are part of something special. Not Ferrari. I think Ferrari is falling victim to the traditional dealer network dynamic. It's great to see Tesla avoiding the dealer model. It's inefficient. Yes, Ferrari makes an incredible product and there is huge demand for it, but they have a lot to learn about customer service. One person has been very nice and promptly responds and says they will check, but there is never a definitive answer on anything. It's beyond disappointing. This is not a $300k experience. It's like they sincerely just don't care. You just have to wait it out and hope something didn't fall through the cracks.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by f458spider View Post
. It's like they sincerely just don't care. You just have to wait it out and hope something didn't fall through the cracks.
They don't. Too easy to sell product to next in line in the US market, particularly in NYC. If you don't purchase or are pissed off, sadly generally the dealer groups don't care, as they sell all new to order cars they can get. All maintenance on anything recent is at the low F service pack rate so no reason to keep you happy there. The only thing they care about is ensuring the average options per new car is above their dealer bonus threshold and the new:used ratio is also above their bonus threshold.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Tiffany and cartier aren't Italian. I'm only half joking.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 28 Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 153
Every time I read these types of threads I think back to spring of 1985 when I walked into a Ferrari dealer in a flannel shirt and torn jeans. The dealed also sold Nissans. A salesman sitting behind a desk looked up and asked it he could help me.

I want to buy a car.

Nissan or Ferrari he said without looking up again.

Ferrari.

He stood up, came over to me and introduced himself. We had a good talk about what I wanted. He showed me their facilities and explained that their allocation of 27 cars for '85 was spoken for but he would see if he could locate a car for me if I was willing to sign a contract and leave a $1000 refundable deposit. I did and 2 months later I drove away in a brand new 1985 308 GTB QV, one of only 29 imported into the USA that year. The salesman had located 2 cars which other dealers were willing to part with (for a fee?). Neither had the color interior I wanted but one was acceptable. And on top of that, I paid under MSRP. Times have changed.

If you are going to tell someone how to remove a bolt you should at least know which way to turn the wrench.
85 308 GTB QV red/tan (original owner)
95 F355 Spider SwatersBlu/tan
post #10 of 28 Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
You want a Ferrari to show you love - buy an FF at list.

Ferrari tells their dealers what they can have and the dealers have customers to fill production.

Unbelievable that it works.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #11 of 28 Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Have an update. So I finally spoke to my sales person, and they were straight with me. The factory doesn't provide any detailed visibility. It's just the way it works. My order was definitely in the system. He assured me everything is normal. For kicks, I used LinkedIn and got to a North American manager. He called me and confirmed everything. He was able to tell me the order was "accepted" by the factory, so it shouldn't be long before it hits production. I asked if the factor moves orders around for special clients, and he said that's not issue. It has to do with how the factory allocates between models. He looked in the system and said based on what he saw, that a Speciale Aperta order made about the same time was already almost finished. So they are likely giving priority to groups of Speciale or other models. I appreciated him explaining how the factory does place priority on certain lines, and it changes. So sometimes you get the car fast (2-3 months) and sometimes it takes longer (3-4+). Transparency is everything. I feel much better and am impressed with the people I've spoken to. Ferrari does care about customer service, but they have to work within the constraints of how the factory runs its business.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john85QV View Post
Every time I read these types of threads I think back to spring of 1985 when I walked into a Ferrari dealer in a flannel shirt and torn jeans. The dealed also sold Nissans. A salesman sitting behind a desk looked up and asked it he could help me.

I want to buy a car.

Nissan or Ferrari he said without looking up again.

Ferrari.

He stood up, came over to me and introduced himself. We had a good talk about what I wanted. He showed me their facilities and explained that their allocation of 27 cars for '85 was spoken for but he would see if he could locate a car for me if I was willing to sign a contract and leave a $1000 refundable deposit. I did and 2 months later I drove away in a brand new 1985 308 GTB QV, one of only 29 imported into the USA that year. The salesman had located 2 cars which other dealers were willing to part with (for a fee?). Neither had the color interior I wanted but one was acceptable. And on top of that, I paid under MSRP. Times have changed.
Great story! Glad you had a good experience. I see you own two classics. Congrats. I had a red/tan F355 from 2000 to 2002 (manual transmission). Not a big fan of the clunky medal shifter, so looking forward to the F1. But F355 is an amazing car. One of the best looking cars they've ever made. The air intakes are much nicer than on the new 488.
post #13 of 28 Old 03-13-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Found out today my car is status 40.

So for those newbies like me who are looking for a better understanding on how long it takes to get a new Ferrari, I'm going to track the car the best I can based on the steps below. I added the steps before 10. Not sure if this applies to other models or not, but I assume it's pretty close.

-20 Visit dealer and make deposit (SEPT 2014)
-10 Receive allocation from dealer (MID DEC 2014)
00 - "No man's land" - no idea what is going on (JAN 2015)
10 - Orders accepted (Red 10 = No Changes) - (FEB 2015)
20 - Chassis assembly (at Scaglietti) - (NA)
30 - Painting - (NA)
40 - Assembly line (dash/wiring/interior/options) - (EARLY MARCH 2015)

50 - Assembly line (engine/transmission)
60 - Finishing
70 - Testing (road/track)
85 - Storage
90 - Water (intransit)
92 - PDI completed
93 - Shipping to dealers
94 - Dealer stock
94 - Red - retailed
95 - Submit to factory

I've heard that each step in production can take a few days to a week (not sure if true or not). If true, I'm conservatively four to five weeks from being shipped. Could be here in May. We shall see.
post #14 of 28 Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
You will find that the car goes nowhere & then it's shipped. As you found out the factory aren't in real time with the network. Ive ordered 3 new Ferrari's now and they've each taken different times to be updated & arrive. If you've been told its in the system it will be. Good you have a direct contact with Ferrari in US. Enjoy the suspense, anticipation, arrival & first drive!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #15 of 28 Old 03-13-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
You will find that the car goes nowhere & then it's shipped. As you found out the factory aren't in real time with the network. Ive ordered 3 new Ferrari's now and they've each taken different times to be updated & arrive. If you've been told its in the system it will be. Good you have a direct contact with Ferrari in US. Enjoy the suspense, anticipation, arrival & first drive!
Thx!
post #16 of 28 Old 03-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
My 1st order stayed at status 20 for weeks & then jumped straight to 90 or 93, a few days later I took a call from my Dealer to say my new toy had arrived. Don't be surprised if yours does same, it's not unusual for things to happen like this.

Good choice on ordering the hardtop Spider version, best of both worlds, from my experiences the exhaust note & experience intensifies in a Spider, it'll be a proper rush to your senses!

Enjoy learning the dance & drive safe!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-13-2015 at 05:27 PM.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-13-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
My 1st order stayed at status 20 for weeks & then jumped straight to 90 or 93, a few days later I took a call from my Dealer to say my new toy had arrived. Don't be surprised if yours does same, it's not unusual for things to happen like this.

Good choice on ordering the hardtop Spider version, best of both worlds, from my experiences the exhaust note & experience intensifies in a Spider, it'll be a proper rush to your senses!

Enjoy learning the dance & drive safe!
Thanks! Looking at some of the signature blocks above, I see some serious Ferrari enthusiasts. I had a pre-owned '95 355 Spider and loved it. This is going to be a big step up. My first time as a new owner. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Thanks to those who set up this forum.
post #18 of 28 Old 03-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Enjoy I am sure your counting the days.

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider
post #19 of 28 Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Found out today my car is status 60. Also received my login to the owner website today. See update below and two attached pictures.

-20 Visit dealer and make deposit (SEPT 2014)
-10 Receive allocation from dealer (MID DEC 2014)
00 - "No man's land" - no idea what is going on (JAN 2015)
10 - Orders accepted (Red 10 = No Changes) - (FEB 2015)
20 - Chassis assembly (at Scaglietti) - (NA)
30 - Painting - (NA)
40 - Assembly line (dash/wiring/interior/options) - (EARLY MARCH 2015)
50 - Assembly line (engine/transmission) (EARLY MARCH 2015)
60 - Finishing (MARCH 20, 2015; ALSO RECEIVED OWNER WEBSITE LOGIN WITH FIRST PICS)
70 - Testing (road/track)
85 - Storage
90 - Water (intransit)
92 - PDI completed
93 - Shipping to dealers
94 - Dealer stock
94 - Red - retailed
95 - Submit to factory

It looks like once the car is status 20 and gets going, it's no more than one week between each step and in some cases a few days.

Name:  paint1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  Paint2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  25.6 KB
post #20 of 28 Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari uploaded the final production photo last week. She looks amazing. I had a friend who doubted the yellow caliper would work on a red car, but I say it makes the car "pop." Matches the center wheel plugs and shields. You can barely see the black/red dual leather/alcantera interior on the passenger seat. I think it will get her in May.

Name:  Final Production.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  40.9 KB

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode