458 Challenge "SLOWDOWN" alarm. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
458 Challenge "SLOWDOWN" alarm.

This code is coming up at start up and sometimes goes off but mostly stays on. Does anyone know what it could be? Cats maybe?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
I would have someone at the dealership hook it up to MODIS and see what the problem is. If a bad cat, really bad things can happen.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
cat is overheating. or that is what the sensor is saying anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I bet it's a cat temp sensor because it comes on at start up. Also, I've been told it could be other issues as well. Sort of like Ferrari's racing version of a check engine light which is odd cause the display spells out clearly status on everything else important.

You'd think since fires have been caused by this issue it would be displayed as such more clearly. "Slowdown" is quite subjective to a race car.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxonr8 View Post
Thanks!

I bet it's a cat temp sensor because it comes on at start up. Also, I've been told it could be other issues as well. Sort of like Ferrari's racing version of a check engine light which is odd cause the display spells out clearly status on everything else important.

You'd think since fires have been caused by this issue it would be displayed as such more clearly. "Slowdown" is quite subjective to a race car.
Agree temp sensor and slowdown warning - you sure your wife isn't messing with you?

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #6 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Agree temp sensor and slowdown warning - you sure your wife isn't messing with you?
LOL! Hopefully it IS the cats sensor. I'll know soon enough it's getting diagnostics later today. Thanks for the replies!
post #7 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
If the warning comes up the moment you fire up the car, it's an issue with the electronics and not the physical catalytic. If the problem progress far enough, the ECU will disable the fuel pump on the offending bank, leaving you running on only 4 cylinders.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
If the warning comes up the moment you fire up the car, it's an issue with the electronics and not the physical catalytic. If the problem progress far enough, the ECU will disable the fuel pump on the offending bank, leaving you running on only 4 cylinders.
Wish you worked in Saint Louis.

I learned a new word - potentiometer setting the car in limp mode.

Why are Ferrari's so hard to diagnose - it takes years to learn how to actually service these issues without spending a fortune.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #9 of 11 Old 10-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Master Mechanic

Mostly because Ferrari NA does a fabulous job of creating a brick wall between the technical information available in Italy and everyone on the other side of the brick wall, the factory scan tools are some of the least impressive to use in the auto repair industry then add to that the fact that electronics don't seem to be the Italian's strong suit...

So, it takes a conscious effort and lots of exposure to learn the systems and how to work with them. A lot of technicians just don't want to work that hard, they would rather take the easy road and guess and throw parts at a problem until it goes away.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Mostly because Ferrari NA does a fabulous job of creating a brick wall between the technical information available in Italy and everyone on the other side of the brick wall, the factory scan tools are some of the least impressive to use in the auto repair industry then add to that the fact that electronics don't seem to be the Italian's strong suit...

So, it takes a conscious effort and lots of exposure to learn the systems and how to work with them. A lot of technicians just don't want to work that hard, they would rather take the easy road and guess and throw parts at a problem until it goes away.
I'm quite sure the warning light comes on directly upon start-up and that make a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the information! I was shipping the car to AZ for the winter so I just had it dropped off to Scottsdale Ferrari for diagnostics ...they don't see many there so they are all over it.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Master Mechanic

Hopefully that doesn't also mean their techs are going to be scratching their heads trying to figure it out in a timely manner...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode