Daily Driving a 458 - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Daily Driving a 458

What are some of your opinions on daily driving a 458.
Some of my concerns are:
- Snow
- Potholes
- Reliability

If any one can provide me with some advice it will be much appreciated!

I should add that I would have this as my only car.

Last edited by AhadSQ; 09-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.
AhadSQ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Get winter tyres, watch out for the pot holes and go for it!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 09-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Why on earth would you want to do that?

I cannot fathom my 458 as my only car in California. I certainly can't in Toronto.

If you want to have an accident in snow, drive a rear-wheel drive car. If that car happens to have 570bhp, make sure your will is in good order. Whatever you do, make sure you have winter tyres. The regular 458 tyres will rapidly lose grip if the asphalt is less than 7 degrees C. It does not have to be that cold outside for that condition to be there.

Some points about the 458:

1. The rims can't deal with corrosion (mine are corroding even though it's never been out on salty roads)
2. It is a pain to get in and out of the car if you can't fully open the door (I say this as a reasonably healthy 44 YO). This makes it less practical as a daily car (altought the problem is more relevant in Europe than Canada).
3. Ground clearance is low. I've driven in Canada in winter and I foresee problems.
4. The residual value of a 458 that has been used as a daily car in the snow is zero. This may or may not be an issue (considering it would be your only car, I"m guessing it would be).

If you use a Ferrari for what it was not designed to be used for, you will quickly grow very irritated by it. For me, using it daily would be a pain. And that is not what I bought it for.

Regarding reliability - in general the 458 is reliable.


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Owner
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Andorra La Vella
Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Ups!!! I think Onno has say it all!
Apart from what Onno has say ,i may add that a kool Range Rover maybe the way to go!

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
Pablo is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Get winter tyres, watch out for the pot holes and go for it!
Any suggestions on good winter tires?
AhadSQ is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Why on earth would you want to do that?

I cannot fathom my 458 as my only car in California. I certainly can't in Toronto.

If you want to have an accident in snow, drive a rear-wheel drive car. If that car happens to have 570bhp, make sure your will is in good order. Whatever you do, make sure you have winter tyres. The regular 458 tyres will rapidly lose grip if the asphalt is less than 7 degrees C. It does not have to be that cold outside for that condition to be there.

Some points about the 458:

1. The rims can't deal with corrosion (mine are corroding even though it's never been out on salty roads)
2. It is a pain to get in and out of the car if you can't fully open the door (I say this as a reasonably healthy 44 YO). This makes it less practical as a daily car (altought the problem is more relevant in Europe than Canada).
3. Ground clearance is low. I've driven in Canada in winter and I foresee problems.
4. The residual value of a 458 that has been used as a daily car in the snow is zero. This may or may not be an issue (considering it would be your only car, I"m guessing it would be).

If you use a Ferrari for what it was not designed to be used for, you will quickly grow very irritated by it. For me, using it daily would be a pain. And that is not what I bought it for.

Regarding reliability - in general the 458 is reliable.


Onno
I have also considered the FF. It handled quite well with the cold weather ( I drove it in -30c weather). But I have found it to be slightly over priced and would rather get a RR for the money. Many people around Toronto dd the 458. I have seen deadmau5 frequently with his Ferrari. Would you recommend any other Ferraris able to take a daily driving beating? Perhaps a 612?
AhadSQ is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Ups!!! I think Onno has say it all!
Apart from what Onno has say ,i may add that a kool Range Rover maybe the way to go!
My last Range Rover caught on fire so I'm quite scared to buy another lol.
AhadSQ is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Owner
 
treynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 281
My wife drives her 458 Spider daily for the last 2 years. No snow or potholes - it's Northern California - and it's been terrific and utterly reliable.

Cheers, Ben ( Too many toys, not enough garage space! )
treynor is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 AM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhadSQ View Post
I have also considered the FF. It handled quite well with the cold weather ( I drove it in -30c weather). But I have found it to be slightly over priced and would rather get a RR for the money. Many people around Toronto dd the 458. I have seen deadmau5 frequently with his Ferrari. Would you recommend any other Ferraris able to take a daily driving beating? Perhaps a 612?
I can't really answer this question for you. I certainly would be much more inclined to use my 550 as a DD than my 458, it is less in-yer-face, it is easier to get in and out of. But I've never understood people that use their F as a DD, for me the experience, the drive, needs to remain special. I don't want to go to the shops in my F, I think the statement you make is not very subtle but also it just isn't as practical. Get a reasonable BMW and it has better satnav, better stereo, better Bluetooth integration. So why do it? But this is just my personal view, obviously there is nothing inherently wrong with using one daily.

I think all modern Ferraris of the past 20 years, maintained well, can deal with being a DD, if you so wish. And there are also people that use classic F's as a DD, a fellow with a 330GTC springs to mind.


Onno



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
JazzyO is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhadSQ View Post
My last Range Rover caught on fire
That happened to me, too (though it was about 30 years ago and rumour has it they have improved in the meantime ).

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 03:31 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Some points about the 458:

1. The rims can't deal with corrosion (mine are corroding even though it's never been out on salty roads)
2. It is a pain to get in and out of the car if you can't fully open the door (I say this as a reasonably healthy 44 YO). This makes it less practical as a daily car (altought the problem is more relevant in Europe than Canada).
3. Ground clearance is low. I've driven in Canada in winter and I foresee problems.
4. The residual value of a 458 that has been used as a daily car in the snow is zero.
Sounds like a pile of junk - better cancel my order!

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,500
Most of it has been said several time over here:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...-everyday.html

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
If you want a classic which can handle winter well, it's a Rolls Royce. They are as solid as they come and the ground clearance is excellent. Individual rear suspension with diff slip makes it a machine in the snow, with snow chains or snow tyres. The heating is superb and the ride is lovely and silent.

My Corniche is a late Series III with ABS and heated seats. It has had thick anti rust protection sprayed into every single little corner underneath. If there's a brilliant classic for all season use, it has to be a Roller.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
my guess is snow does not stay on the road in toronto very long, salt can be dealt with by washing and rims can be changed out for the winter. I see no reason not to DD it in toronto. In the end, it's just a car like any other.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
salt can be dealt with by washing
That is a myth. Slushy salt forms crusts in difficult to reach places that do not just wash off. It is not like kitchen salt that you can just wash off, it becomes almost stone hard. If you have a bridge and a toothbrush it can be removed, but just water does not do the trick (apart from the fact that washing the underside of your car is not easy to do in any case).

If you don't remove it, the salt will continue to suck up moisture and hasten corrosion, the whole year 'round, until eventually it has been washed away by driving in wet conditions (it needs to dissolve).

I've learnt all this from the guys that do the Winter Trials with their classic cars in Europe.

But of course anyone can treat their car as they want.


Onno

Addition: what will help is if you wash your car's underside and wheel arches whilst the salt is still mushy. It will then more easily wash off. But if you leave it, it will harden.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

Last edited by JazzyO; 09-18-2014 at 04:39 AM.
JazzyO is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
That is a myth. Slushy salt forms crusts in difficult to reach places that do not just wash off. It is not like kitchen salt that you can just wash off, it becomes almost stone hard. If you have a bridge and a toothbrush it can be removed, but just water does not do the trick (apart from the fact that washing the underside of your car is not easy to do in any case).

If you don't remove it, the salt will continue to suck up moisture and hasten corrosion, the whole year 'round, until eventually it has been washed away by driving in wet conditions (it needs to dissolve).

I've learnt all this from the guys that do the Winter Trials with their classic cars in Europe.

But of course anyone can treat their car as they want.


Onno

Addition: what will help is if you wash your car's underside and wheel arches whilst the salt is still mushy. It will then more easily wash off. But if you leave it, it will harden.
True and well worth pointing out.

Deliberately taking a Ferrari out in the snow is completely pointless. That doesn't exclude winter driving in the dry, with a weekly belly wash. The accumulated dust contains salt. Eventually, you will get caught in surprise weather with snow. This is when you must be rather quick at removing the belly plates and wash properly.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Really get tired of all these threads. You can daily drive any car, so long as you don't have all 4 seasons in your area. Certainly would not risk a 2WD car in the snow, regardless of tire choice. Can you drive such a car to work without pissing off your employees or co-workers, or customers? Only you can answer this. Do you have safe parking for the car? Fairly simple to figure out if you can or can't.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
markjayw is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
Really get tired of all these threads. You can daily drive any car, so long as you don't have all 4 seasons in your area. Certainly would not risk a 2WD car in the snow, regardless of tire choice. Can you drive such a car to work without pissing off your employees or co-workers, or customers? Only you can answer this. Do you have safe parking for the car? Fairly simple to figure out if you can or can't.
Correct! I agree.

Fairly simple to figure out how good you are at driving 2WD in snow. Fairly simple to find out your willingness to risk unsafe parking. Fairly simple to know if you have or have not a customer/client dependant world in your life. And finally - fairly simple to grasp that there are not many years left in life to fully enjoy a super car...

Only you can answer this.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Correct! I agree.

Fairly simple to figure out how good you are at driving 2WD in snow. Fairly simple to find out your willingness to risk unsafe parking. Fairly simple to know if you have or have not a customer/client dependant world in your life. And finally - fairly simple to grasp that there are not many years left in life to fully enjoy a super car...

Only you can answer this.
I'm 21 and have quite sometime to "fully" enjoy my "super car". Only reason I was asking was to get other owners points of view. If you and Mark have such an issue with these threads DON'T REPLY.
AhadSQ is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 09-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhadSQ View Post
I'm 21 and have quite sometime to "fully" enjoy my "super car". Only reason I was asking was to get other owners points of view. If you and Mark have such an issue with these threads DON'T REPLY.
Young man, temper!

It's all humour, please relax and get into the groove. In case you misunderstood, I admire that you are considering driving your Ferrari all year round. My last reply was made with irony, as I for real do believe in getting the most out of a good car while I'm alive.

Tell us all my friend, but never tell us not to reply. This is a forum and you are supposed to take part.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale