Some Speciale impressions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Some Speciale impressions

I got the opportunity to drive the Speciale this week, the black and gold car that you guys have seen come around on these pages a couple of times.

First off, I think she looks pretty darn Speciale in black. I ordered my Italia in black because I think that this colour shows off the aggression in the lines, but of course the Speciale looks even more agressive. The wider stance at the back is particularly yummy. I also like the fact that you see the little fins less, as I think they detract from the lovely lines. The reworking of the rear is very succesful. I'm not so enamoured with the intakes in the bonnet, though, and of course there is a lot less space in the boot (for me, as I take the 458 on holidays throughout Europe, a consideration). Overall, a fantastic looking car!!

Inside, I must say that I absolutely love the looks. This car has lightgrey alcantara, and that looks absolutely wonderful with the carbon fibre and aluminium floors. But whoever thought of the "knee pad" thing at the place the cubby hole used to be, was an idiot. It just looks naff. One thing to notice: the way the speakers are mounted on the carbon fibre in the doors is really cheap looking. A friend of mine ordered his Speciale without speakers for this reason.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find any decent roads in the vicinity of Amsterdam that test the Speciale in any sort of way. This is a real shame as I found that the Speciale is a real evolution of the Italia, not a revolution. The extra power is noticeable but not overwhelming. The salesman warned me of the more aggressive clutch, but to be frank I have not even noticed a difference. It was just very comfortable being behind the wheel - feels like home, just a more clinical home than I have myself. Fewer carpets, less soundproofing. The latter is really noticeable. Quite annoying tyre noise, even from 50km/h. Some people reading this will wonder why one should care, but if you do 1000km on a day to drive South to Italy, it is something that you notice.

OK, enough with the boring stuff. Time to fire her up!

200m after I drove her off the lot, there was a speed check. Good thing I was stuck behind a truck at the time....

Drove her into the woods near Utrecht to scare some feathers of pigeons, and that is immediately a large part of the appeal compared to the Italia. The sound above 7,000 rpm is amazing. There is a real aggressive edge to it, I was not expecting that. She's a bit less smooth than the Italia, more Joe Cocker than Robbie Williams. A real improvement is the way the exhaust flaps open. Much more gradual than the Italia, which means you don't have an annoying LOUD-soft-LOUD-soft like my car if you drive around 60 - 70km/h around suburbs. I didn't really detect any difference in the way it opens in the various manettino modes, just that opens earlier on RACE and CT-OFF.

Pedal to the metal. Well, everything you've imagined certainly holds true - an amazing bomb on wheels. But if you're an experienced Italia owner, it doesn't blow you away. You revel in the extra power, but to be frank I had expected my senses to be bombarded more. The Italia is, at full cry, a very impressive machine and it turns out to be hard to top that. So what you get is the cherry on top, the icing on the cake, the extra edge that really fits the 458 very well. I was just expecting, well, a bit more. I think that shows that a 458 Italia owner is just a very spoilt brat.

In terms of the gearbox, I was expecting more rawness. There is a hint of it there, and you notice the beefier clutch, but to be honest it is like the fruity tones in a good dry Sauvignon Blanc. You notice it only if you're not drinking the wine. So just get on with it and drive the darn thing.

As said, the roads in central Holland are hopeless so in an hour's test drive there was no chance of testing the road holding. That, to me, will be the real seperator between the Italia and the Speciale. I would LOVE to drive this car at Spa, and see how she compares to my own baby. This also highlights that owning a car like this where I live is frustrating. It is with the Italia as well, I tend to go on holiday abroad with it or take it to the track to really enjoy what she can do.

Time to turn back to the dealership and try and find a couple of places for last bursts of full throttle. My god, she is impressive. It is strange that you hardly have time to think, but you still have time enough to note the differences with the Italia. The accelleration is ferocious, the noise glorious, and she just feels so lovely on the road. She is a bit lower, though, and you need to take more care on the speedbumps.

Handing the key back over, I thought: what an amazing machine. A brilliant man-toy for the man-cave, to take some moments for yourself with where all you do is enjoy this technological marvel on a great road or track. It doesn't make the Italia obsolete. For me it just shows that the Italia is much more versatile, and if you want to go on holiday with it, it is the better choice.

I've saved the best for last. The price. To me, she is around 30,000 euros cheaper than I expected. So much carbon fibre that I "had to" order with my Italia, driving the price up, is standard on this car. Less choice with the rims, as well (nice rims BTW), and the fantastic race seats as standard. To get my 458 Italia's spec, I would be significantly cheaper off, but have more horses and more noise. Seems a pretty good deal to me!!

Thanks to my dealer Kroymans to let me have this car for myself for an hour, it was memorable.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Images

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Onno,

How envious that you get to test drive all these latest F cars. That is impossible here.

And your write up is superb. It makes me feel as if I know the car already.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #3 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Jimmy, yes I am a lucky man indeed! I find Kroymans to be extremely flexible and trusting. They just throw me the keys and say "take your time". There is never a salesman with me in the car. Even when I had not bought a car from them yet and I had not indicated that I would (when I drove the 458 Italia in 2010). I found that pretty amazing. And it is great for my brother since he can then join me during the test drive.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC

post #4 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I forgot to mention, BTW, that the Pilot Cup 2 tyres on this car are MUCH stickier than my 458's (Pilot Sport 2, I think?). No doubt they wear a lot faster.

Onno

330GTC
post #5 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Onno, that is great to know that you have such an amiable relationship with your dealer.

As stated, the situation over here is dipolar to that and maybe that is one of the reasons that I am hesitant to even consider new cars. I know, I suppose that is my loss. Cannot help that.

Do appreciate your first hand reports as such and they are simply exceptional.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #6 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Wow, Onno!

Great write up! I really don't dare testing the Speciale. I'm afraid it's addictive...

I like the golden wheels and the black paint.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Thanks for the great write up, Onno. The contrasts and similarities between Speciale and Italia are priceless! Very interesting that the Speciale would cost less than a well specced Italia. Great Ferraris both! Speciale looks spectacular in JPS livery!

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #8 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Hey Onno,

You're 100% spot on with your review. And I also opted out of the radio and sat-nav because of those ugly speakers, which just 'ruin' the carbon-fibre doors IMHO...

Being Dutch, I know the surroundings of Hilversum and as a result, it seems that you have missed what I think is the best part of this car. Because the road-holding at (very) speed, on long sweeping corners, as well as very hard braking is at another planet. Having driven my Speciale and a friend's 458 back-to-back in our empty mountain roads in the UAE, there's a night-and-day difference. I'm taking my car to the Dubai Autodrome next weekend, where I expect to do some more comparisons.

To be continued...
Tom.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Hey Onno,

You're 100% spot on with your review. And I also opted out of the radio and sat-nav because of those ugly speakers, which just 'ruin' the carbon-fibre doors IMHO...

Being Dutch, I know the surroundings of Hilversum and as a result, it seems that you have missed what I think is the best part of this car. Because the road-holding at (very) speed, on long sweeping corners, as well as very hard braking is at another planet. Having driven my Speciale and a friend's 458 back-to-back in our empty mountain roads in the UAE, there's a night-and-day difference. I'm taking my car to the Dubai Autodrome next weekend, where I expect to do some more comparisons.

To be continued...
Tom.
That was exactly my impression...

Onno , thanks for a great Report !
post #10 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Brakes, Speciale vs Italia

It would be interesting to see a comparison on the brakes with both cars on Pilot Cup 2.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
I test drove the Speciale and have the same impression as Onno!

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Onno- Sounds like a really fun day. Did they actually change the wet clutch pack in the DCT or is it just different software giving it a different feel?

Here are the wheel choices and they fit regular 458s. Included is a copy of my wheel size document showing the offsets with help from Scuderia Systems, who have a very good price on the wheels.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: doc Ferrari Wheel Sizes.doc (35.0 KB, 147 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 03-03-2014 at 09:05 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Onno- Sounds like a really fun day. Did they actually change the wet clutch pack in the DCT or is it just different software giving it a different feel.
Very good question, I don't know. My impression from the salesman was it was a different pack but that was only an impression, not a confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
I'm taking my car to the Dubai Autodrome next weekend, where I expect to do some more comparisons.

To be continued...
Tom.
Very cool, Tom, will love to hear more about it. I would not at all be surprised if the real difference between the Speciale and the 458 only comes to light at high speed cornering.

Onno

330GTC
post #14 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Nice video. Didn't get to do this on my test drive!!!

Powersliding a Ferrari 458 Speciale on Track!!! - YouTube

Onno

330GTC
post #15 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
That's an excellent write-up. Thanks for taking the time.

Black is probably the best color for a Speciale, IMHO. Looks great in the pics.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Onno
Great write up. Many thanks. Will file it in the memory bank for approx 20 yrs when a Speciale might be on the purchasing list...

Must admit I do like the black n gold livery of the test car you were supplied with.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #17 of 17 Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Nice video. Didn't get to do this on my test drive!!!

Powersliding a Ferrari 458 Speciale on Track!!! - YouTube

Onno
Probably with that driving style the difference will be notorious! I for my experience did not find it so!

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode