My 458 exhaust valves open all the time - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
My 458 exhaust valves open all the time

After driving my 458 out for over 200 miles and back, I noticed that when I switched down from 'Race' to 'Wet', the exhaust note remains loud, even at idle.

I did not notice any warning sign on the dashboard display, so I thought I leave the car overnight and check it out. When I started the car the following morning, the exhaust remains loud, as if the exhaust valves open all the time, regardless of where the manettino setting is. There is no impact on performance, just the loud note of the 458 when I drive her through the neighbourhood (Capristo is not required!)

Is this something that I can just ignore until I need to take it to Ferrari for its annual service next month?

Many thanks for your advice and inputs!

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Is this a new 458 you purchased, or a pre-owned one? If pre-owned, maybe the previous owner had an exhaust valve switch installed?

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Gus- 458 valves are fail open, so if a switch was not installed as Mark suggested or the vacuum hoses not disconnected from the pneumatic valves, the causes could be lack of vacuum due to a leak, a loose or removed vacuum hose(s), or a faulty bypass solenoid, of which there is only one on the 458.

On the 458 getting the valves to stay open continuously is as simple as pulling the hoses from the pneumatic valves and plugging the vacuum hoses to prevent ingestion of groad.

Whatever it is, should only take a few minutes to figure out what the problem is by a good technician. The Bypass Solenoid is number 20 in this parts catalog page from Ricambi's online catalog. In the second parts catalog drawing, you can see the pneumatic valves on the muffler cans, numbers 5 and 6.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Many thanks, guys!
I purchased the car new, so I know there is no switch installed.
Prior to this, it was only beyond 3000 rpm I can hear the valves open at "Race' mode, now it's just growling with slightly 'baritone' loudness coming of the exhaust at all time... (although not as loud as Barry's 360 luckily, or my neighbours will start throwing rotten eggs/tomatoes).

I actually like this 'baritone' growl as long as it is not detrimental to the engine. I have not noticed any performance change. Also I read somewhere that it may take longer to warm up the engine with open valves, but I have not noticed that in my car either this morning. Is there something that I should be worrying about?

I will see in the next few days if there are any 'noticeable' changes in the feel of the car. Otherwise, I can leave it until the next annual service at the end of May after the Italian trip, and enjoy the different song coming out of the car.

Thanks very much!

Gus

post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Gus, sounds like a good problem to have?

If I were your neighbour, I wouldn't mind the extra loud growl.

Besides, it's the sound we've come to love

joking aside, hope it gets fixed if not you can always give it to me ^^

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Gus- Just make sure the vacuum hoses have not come loose, because they can ingest FOD and that can get to your vacuum accumulator and then to places you do not want it.

The pneumatic valves provide a little extra backpressure at low revs that might help the engine on warm-up and provide a bit more torque, but probably not noticeable on a 458 since you are not going to romp on her until she is warm, at any rate.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Terry,
Thank you very much for your advice, as always, they are very helpful!
I will take it to a local friend to quickly check before I use for another long-ish drive.
Although the sun is out this weekend in London, perfect day for a drive...

Gus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode