Laps in a 458 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Laps in a 458

Took the opportunity yesterday while on vacation in Florida to try some laps in a 458 at the Disney Speedway. I've never tracked my 360 so this was a dual-pronged exercise for me. One was to simply get the opportunity to experience the 458 and two was to take to the track in anger in someone else's Ferrari.

All I have to say is wow! Cockpit feel was quite similar to the 360 as I think would be expected. I felt completely comfortable. I also think I made the professional driver happy that I was already familiar with all of the workings of the car, particularly paddle shifting.

In comparison to my 360 first gear is infinitely smoother. That's the one thing about my 360 that annoys me, first gear is nearly worthless. However, in the 458 first gear power is applied very smoothly. Never feeling like you might start to get a "buck" out of it. That being said, there were only two take-offs from 1st gear so we're only talking about 2 seconds of the entire experience.

The laps were done in Sport mode for obvious reasons that without knowing the talent of the drivers, they certainly don't want to turn off the safety features by enabling race mode. That being said, I also wasn't out there to set a new track record. I only pushed the limits a little bit. I concentrated on getting a feel for the handling in the infield switchback section as this is the type driving I just don't get to experience on the road. I was able to hit a top speed of 125 of the banked corner/straightaway section before hitting the braking zone. At this point I have to say this is the first time I've literally had to "stand on the brakes" to decelerate from 125 to enter the 2nd gear right-hand corner. Absolutely flabbergasted by the brake performance. Other than than that, I was also surprised by the difference in gear change speed. The feel of the gear change speed between the 360 and the 458 is crazy. It's nearly instantaneous. I thought the 360 was wonderfully quick.

All in all a very enjoyable day. I have to say I need to accelerate my search for a second Ferrari so I can track one of them. A completely addictive expereince.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
You have spoiled yourself now. Usually want to move to a Scuderia next, then 458. Really loke the 2nd the 3rd shift in the 458. Looking forward testing a 2012 458 to see if they have created a sportier feel with the gear shifts. 1 week and counting.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

Last edited by markjayw; 02-12-2013 at 09:48 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 304
Cool - Disney Speedway? I'm guessing it's a lot better than it sounds!

You got any pics Bob?

They never had that there when I went a few years back, I could've done that instead of wandering around Disneyland with my then girlfriend.. the things you do for love eh?

Driving/riding anything on a track is a huge buzz... glad you had a great time mate

post #4 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Sounds like a blast. I will be there in August so might go ahead and try this. How many laps did you do and what organization did you did this through?
post #5 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The track used to host the Craftsman truck series and IRL but not any more. From what I can gather it is used as a test track now. However, I think the main use overall is for the Richard Petty Driving experience for those who want to drive a NASCAR, and Exotic Driving Experience for those like me. Exotic Driving Experience | Drive the Exotic Car of Your Dreams

The Disney track doesn't traditionally have a "road" section but they're put one together through the infield that's pretty good at exercising the cars handling. They emphasize that this isn't "race" training but the pro riding shotgun was pretty hand off with me and I feel would have let me "throw" the car through the infield section a bit more if I had chosen to do so.

I signed up for 12 laps and wound up completing 14. I had to deal with lapped traffic so the instructor is allowed to add extra laps at their discretion when this happens.

BTW...They have a 430 also which wasn't out when I was there since no one had scheduled it, but by the photos I see around it looks to be a Scud. At least it's sporting the Scud stripe and I don't see why they would bother putting a fake stripe on it.

I have quite a few pics and will post in a couple of days.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
The 458 on the track is a tremendous amount of fun! Even better when it's not your own!

You're a lucky man, welcome to the club.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #7 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Owner

Thanks for the info Bob.
I did a 360 Challenge track experience and the way they handled traffic was not fair on us as they did not allow us to pass. They also did not add extra laps which was upsetting as each lap was fairly costly. So, my point is, how did they handle the traffic situation? Did they allow you to pass? I see you signed up for the 14 lap package but got two more. I was looking at doing 10 laps. Obviously the more the better but did you feel you had a few good laps by the time you had done 10 laps?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Thanks.
Kevin.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fanforlife View Post
Thanks for the info Bob.
I did a 360 Challenge track experience and the way they handled traffic was not fair on us as they did not allow us to pass. They also did not add extra laps which was upsetting as each lap was fairly costly. So, my point is, how did they handle the traffic situation? Did they allow you to pass? I see you signed up for the 14 lap package but got two more. I was looking at doing 10 laps. Obviously the more the better but did you feel you had a few good laps by the time you had done 10 laps?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Thanks.
Kevin.
The one in Vegas does allow you to pass. They encourage you to get right up on the car in fronts rear bumper. If you are not brave enough, then you suffer the consequences and don't get by the slower car in front. I was held up by a Nissan GTR when I was in the Scuderia, got 2 extra laps thrown in.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #9 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
The one in Vegas does allow you to pass. They encourage you to get right up on the car in fronts rear bumper. If you are not brave enough, then you suffer the consequences and don't get by the slower car in front. I was held up by a Nissan GTR when I was in the Scuderia, got 2 extra laps thrown in.
That's great to know. I really want to get out there and get the car up to speed. I am no racing driver but have been on a track a few times and being held up is no fun. Can't wait to feel that 458 on a track. BTW, did you do the small road course just outside of the LV motorspeedway? I drove a F1('97 Arrows) on that track and it felt like I was driving a kart around my family room
post #10 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Owner

Quote:
That's great to know. I really want to get out there and get the car up to speed. I am no racing driver but have been on a track a few times and being held up is no fun. Can't wait to feel that 458 on a track. BTW, did you do the small road course just outside of the LV motorspeedway? I drove a F1('97 Arrows) on that track and it felt like I was driving a kart around my family room
Exotic's Las Vegas uses their own track, not the Las Vegas Speedway track anymore. You can hit 120 mph maximum on the straight, depending how aggressive you are entering the straight, and of course depending on which car you are driving. I never looked down at the speedo, was too busy watching the road and tach.

post #11 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Owner

Quote:
Exotic's Las Vegas uses their own track, not the Las Vegas Speedway track anymore. You can hit 120 mph maximum on the straight, depending how aggressive you are entering the straight, and of course depending on which car you are driving. I never looked down at the speedo, was too busy watching the road and tach.
You mentioning the tach reminds me of another question. Did they limit your revs? My last drive in the challenge car was limited to 6K revs which was another downer.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
You mentioning the tach reminds me of another question. Did they limit your revs? My last drive in the challenge car was limited to 6K revs which was another downer.
Depends on the car, how much experience you have, and your current stable of cars, a $10 or $20 here and there does not hurt either!

Drove Scud and 458 in race mode, but was not allowed to drive the Aventador in Corsa, last year. Funnty story, I tell my wife to make sure she selects Race on the Scud when her turn came, she put it in Auto by mistake and drove 5 laps in Auto, LOL.

post #13 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Owner

Quote:
a $10 or $20 here and there does not hurt either!
Now there's a plan

Quote:
Drove Scud and 458 in race mode, but was not allowed to drive the Aventador in Corsa, last year. Funnty story, I tell my wife to make sure she selects Race on the Scud when her turn came, she put it in Auto by mistake and drove 5 laps in Auto, LOL.
Sounds like something my wife would do too

I know you have a scud as well but in summary, how did the scud and the 458 compare? I see on their site that they advertise a 430 not a scud and was wondering if it was a scud, should I drive that instead of the 458.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Owner

Quote:
Looks like we are talking about two different companies. The one that does Disney only advertises the 430. I will call them to clarify.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Now there's a plan

Sounds like something my wife would do too

I know you have a scud as well but in summary, how did the scud and the 458 compare? I see on their site that they advertise a 430 not a scud and was wondering if it was a scud, should I drive that instead of the 458.
How do the 458 and Scud compare: It is really hard on a track to differentiate the two cars. The Scud is louder obviously, with less sound insulation, but the 458 sounds awesome too. The 458 is geared a little lower than the Scud, so you think it's faster, but not by much, since it weighs 400 lbs. more than a Scud, unless you really load it up with carbon fiber and race seats, which the car I drove did not have. It is certainly smoother on gear changes, but the Scud to me has the perfect little kick and quickness, even though it is single clutch. Scud does 60 ms shifts, the 458 40 ms. I thought the Scud handled better, maybe their car had a track alignment? Drag race from a stop the 458 would win, but from a rolling 30-120, I bet it would be very close.

Take a redeye out to Vegas and try them back to back. You are right, the companies in Florida are not the same. I would not waste your time and drive a normal F430, but if you really want an F430, do not drive the Scuderia, because then you won't want the F430!

post #16 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Call to clarify, but the one that does Disney I'm pretty sure has a Scud. Like I was saying, the picture they have posted at the track show a 430 with Scud stripes. They were getting ready to bring it out just as I was leaving. If I hadn't been there so lone already I would have stayed just to know as I was curious.

The way they handle passing at the Disney track is they have a bypass lane that cuts off one of the corners in the infield. The pro is on the radio and lets them know we are going by on the bypass. He then encourages you to get close up in the infield section and when the bypass comes you nail it to get by. This also happens to be directly in front of the small spectator bleachers which is a bonus for anyone taking pictures. However, they have no idea when you're gonna take the bypass so they need to be on their toes.

In the end I feel I received my monies worth. I got to do what I wanted with the car and also didn't feel I got "cheated" out of any laps by slower traffic. The pro with me was very good in that he didn't limit me much at all. They do this all of the time and after feeling out the track in one lap they know if they can trust your instincts.

I will probably do this again next year and now that I have a feel for what is going on, I will talk to the pro about getting a bit more aggressive in the infield. I will probably also do it in August this year at the New Jersey Motorsports Park which is closer to home but I don't get the 15% Disney Vacation Club discount there :-( Chris, who was my pro instructor mentioned he will be there in NJ in August. He said to be as we were coming into pit lane that he doesn't know who was having more fun, him or me. He loves it when someone takes out the 458.

Oh, to answer one other question. They do not limit the cars performance with the exception of pit lane where they will dial you down to 30% for safety reasons. In the pre-drive briefing they tell you the only other time would be if someone is being unsafe. Otherwise you get all of what the car has to offer. And BTW, the speedo is covered so you won't get fixated. You get you printed lap telemetry at the end. If you buy the video (which I did of course cause I like lots of metrics) you will get two cams (a view of you and the pro inside, and a front facing cam). Includes audio inside the cockpit as well as other telemetry. Once I get home I will try to get a screen capture so you can see what other data is shown. I haven't had a chance to see everything. only a brief glimpse after the drive.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Bob

Sounds like a good time in the 458.

We have a track Granite City Speedway 15 minutes from the house.

I got the 612 up to 120 on the straight and recall stepping hard on the brakes after I passed the cone.

It was an incredible rush so I can only imagine how much faster the 458 brakes - on the first pass it had to feel like someone moved the cone.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Owner

Bob,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I was getting excited just reading this post. I will definitely call to find out if they have the scud. It will then be a difficult decision to make as to whether I take the scud or the 458. I just love the scuds. Sounds like you did get your monies worth and the fact that you can really drive the thing makes it worthwhile. As i mentioned before I am looking forward to some pics and appreciate the time you took to post.
Thanks again.
Kevin.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Owner

Mark,
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Take a redeye out to Vegas and try them back to back. You are right, the companies in Florida are not the same. I would not waste your time and drive a normal F430, but if you really want an F430, do not drive the Scuderia, because then you won't want the F430!
It will make the choice difficult if they do have the scud as I just love that car. I certainly agree with you that if I drive the scud then the F430 will just not do it. I also think my wife will kill me after I drive the scud as I will become a nag! I want one now without having driven one. Can you just imagine after I have! Of course you know that all too well.
Thanks again.
Kevin.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Oh, and if there are any Disney Vacation Club members out there that are thinking of doing this, you get a 15% discount at the Disney Speedway location. That's a pretty good bump especially since the 458 is the most expensive per lap of the cars they offer. Be sure to look for other discounts too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode