458 Spider engine bay window available! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,318
458 Spider engine bay window available!

You have a 458 Spider but regret that the engine is not shown? Once again, Capristo will surprised us as he has created an impressive solution.

Antonio and his team worked on this solution since several months and worked out a great design. Such large part required the creation of very big injection molds. In addition to the added centre window, the main air vents on both sides are much larger which will help reducing the engine bay heat. Capristo integrated also some new small air vents close to each side the window. His way of improving not just the look but add also some improvements

Here are some pictures of the injection mold:
Name:  458 Spider rear mold1.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  53.3 KB
Name:  458 Spider rear mold2.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  32.8 KB
Name:  458 Spider rear mold3.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  25.1 KB

New autoclave:
Name:  458 Spider rear autoclave.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  30.6 KB

Conception design - 2 pictures comparing the before and after look:
Name:  458 Spider rear before after.jpg
Views: 3192
Size:  26.0 KB

The final product (but not yet completed with the window and the black side air vent meshes) :
Name:  458 Spider rear1.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  23.6 KB
Name:  458 Spider rear2.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  458 Spider rear3.jpg
Views: 3172
Size:  30.9 KB
Name:  458 Spider rear4.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  26.9 KB

What do you think about this new part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
I like it.
Is the Capristo crossmember removable? If so, I'd like it a lot better.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Great job!

Spider guys now have a reason to throw some cf in their engine bay.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

post #4 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
do u know how much??
i'll take 4 if its less than $10K a pop.
and i dont want the capristo bar over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
What do you think about this new part?
post #5 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I agree that I would never buy it (if I had a spider), if that Capristo bar comes with it. Otherwise it looks good!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #6 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Not a fan at all. It loses the lovely 246 like styling of the three vents on either side and all it's going to reveal under the glass is the air box cover (great for Capristo as you'll probably want their carbon version of this as well) , oil tank and a very small section of the intake plenums so not a great view.

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
post #7 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
aka mclaren.

but this got me thinking if i can just take off that engine cover.
its free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
Not a fan at all. It loses the lovely 246 like styling of the three vents on either side and all it's going to reveal under the glass is the air box cover (great for Capristo as you'll probably want their carbon version of this as well) , oil tank and a very small section of the intake plenums so not a great view.
post #8 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
so not a great view.
Good point.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #9 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
This is all you see on a spider when you open the engine deck lid. Looking at the Capristo cover I think you'll struggle to even see the red plenum covers through it's window. I'm pretty sure this is why Ferrari did not bother adding weight to the car with a window that gives no real view.
Attached Images

Current: F50, 246 GT (x 2), 246 GTS
Past: 360M, F430 spider, 430 Scuderia,
California (x 2), 458 Italia (x 2), 458 spider, 246 GT
post #10 of 41 Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I have to say that the background why we made a hood with glass, is because we wanted to see the engine. Even if it would have been nice. When the 458 Spider came out, I found it nice that it had an aluminum roof and not one made of cloth. But I looked at the car from the rear and found that the car looks too monotone from the rear. You can see a lot of surface that is colored like the car body and you have no contrast. That brought me to buy a 458 Spider to develop a new rear hood. Then I was concerned that, as we know, the 458 Coupe already had temperature problems. And like the Spider was built, I did not think that these problems had decreased. Therefore, we set ourselves two tasks, to keep the engine compartment cooler and bring more contrast to the rear.

We constructed a new hood and attached a glass pane to it. For this glass pane, we engaged one of the best firms in order to produce a tempered glass that has a thickness of just 3,2 mm. This company is located in Switzerland and specializes on small series, including Ferrari, Lamborghini, und Bugatti. The hood itself should also be as light as possible and as precise as possible. Because of these reasons, we built steel tools where we could produce a carbon hood with. Because of this project we decided to open a carbon department where we could produce carbon parts ourselves within the company. The pictures of the hood which I sent to Stev, you will probably not have noticed, but it is not a real hood. But rather we scaled it down and printed it with our machine 3D rapidprototyping. That is also a new machine that we got last week from the USA. This gives us the ability to print the parts that we draw in 3D. And so we can see if the parts fit or not.

When we drew the hood, we determined that directly below the hood, there is the lock. And it was not possible to glue the lock on the glass pane and it would also not have looked good. Therefore, we had to build a bridge, where we could fix the lock from below. This bridge will be made from carbon and will be screwed on the hood from below. The Ferrari script, which normally is attached to the hood, will not be on the hood anymore but below the glass pane on this carbon bridge (crossmember). I think that this will look good to see the carbon parts below the hood with the Ferrari script.

In addition, it would also make sense to take the carbon airbox where you can see the Ferrari horse on it. Based on this technic you can only see a small part of the red intake manifold. Of course, it would have been nice to see the engine but unfortunately we can not realize this.

Then we have the technical side. We have made more air inlets so that more warmth can be let out from the engine compartment. In addition, we have made the corners where the air comes in for the airbox 4 cm higher., so that the airbox by higher speed will get more air. Through this, we hope to get a few more additional HP. With this hood, we have reached our goal that if you look at the car from the rear, we have been able to bring in more contrast. You do not see so many red surfaces but rather you have brought in some more contrast. It was also important to us that the design of the car is not changed, the car had to continue to look sporty but decent.

There are opinions that say that if that had many any sense, then Ferrari would also have done it like that. And I can assure you that Ferrari finds this work good and we would also have been able to sell this hood over Ferrari. But that would have involved big, additional investment which we cannot afford as of this time.

The carbon hood can be produced next week. We will get the tempered glass middle of January. At the left and right of the glass pane, there are 6 small grills located. The injection mould for these will be finished middle of December. I think we will be able to present the finished car at the end of January. We have from this hood, even is it is not finished yet, 18 customers who are waiting for it. And after I got the opinion from many top designers, we can be sure that the most customers will find this hood good. Of course there are also exeptions, because even this hood is a taste that some don't like.

When the first car is finished, we'll make some nice pictures and post them. Then I'd be thankful for any feedback.

And please note that Ferrari did not do it because it did not make sense. I think that we have also inspired Ferrari with this idea, because at the end of 2013, they are thinking to also bring out a hood like that on the market. I have sent Stev proof per email about this information, which we are not allowed to post on a public forum. The design for this hood has been patented by us and if someone wants to build one like it, then there have to be big differences compared to ours. If they would still look good then, is questionable, but it could also look better.

The production of this hood has nothing to do with the exhaust systems. They are sold by our distributors, this hood can be purchased from us directly. We are looking for dealers who would like to become distributors for our carbon parts, which we will soon be producing, and for this hood. For information and conditions, please contact [email protected] or under phone number 0049 2933 92227-15.

Kind regards,
Antonio
post #11 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
Well then, the bridge hides the ugly latch mechanism, but provides a view nothing like the 360.
The Ferrari script under glass might look nice.
Seems like a whole lot of fuss for two added air vents
I'd have to see it in the flesh.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #12 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
I don't think the Spider was going to suffer from any sales for not showing engine, this didn't.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #13 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The fact that Ferrari is considering to offer this option also must mean that there is a demand for it

Thanks Antonio for taking the time to write this long post. Your approach is very interesting with a subtle design. I'm aware that you've made huge investments and wish you all the very deserved success. Keep going buddy
post #14 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
The fact that Ferrari is considering to offer this option also must mean that there is a demand for it

Thanks Antonio for taking the time to write this long post. Your approach is very interesting with a subtle design. I'm aware that you've made huge investments and wish you all the very deserved success. Keep going buddy
Agree totally. Well explained project. One may like it or not, however the people planing things like that and putting their money for it at risk always deserve my respect! Good luck!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #15 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:

+1 : I see nothing wrong with the construction for what it is and appreciate the attempt for what surely was the best attempt with the option for some.

Like almost every Ferrari lately: it'll grow on ya

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #16 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 62
Quote:

+1. always great to see some new ideas
post #17 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Owner

Quote:

100%

Showing any glimpse of the bay is like a Victoiria's Secrets moment

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #18 of 41 Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Sorry I don't get it. There's nothing to see under there but some plastic boxes. And, it's exactly where the Sat Nav box goes in the Spider rear hood. Where does this go on this new hood? Where is the antenna? Do you need a new antenna or can the old one work?

I'll wait to see pics of it on the car but right now, I don't see the point.
Attached Images

post #19 of 41 Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks my friends for supporting Antonio. He sent me another picture without the small air vents and with a different cross member.
Attached Images

post #20 of 41 Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks my friends for supporting Antonio. He sent me another picture without the small air vents and with a different cross member.
Impressive - no offense to the one who don't approve but the moment Ferrari puts a like window into production these will sell like hotcakes on Xmas day

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode