458 Spider glass engine cover from Capristo - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 700
458 Spider glass engine cover from Capristo

Just received an email from Capristo, looks like they have developed a glass engine cover for the 458 Spider.
Attached Images

'SCUD' Verb. To move fast as if driven by the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,847
Russell- Very interesting. Need to see some more images to see now it integrates with the overall design.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Please share the specs when they're available. I'm thinking the additional weight of the window and partial view of the engine (at least in the Spider shown to allow for the hard top?) is an interesting discussion point for this aftermarket option.

post #4 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
I like it!

Losing the window in the 458 made no sense - unless they are saving it for the 18M.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
make the glass wider so you can see more engine, and the air slits can be spaced out more and moved up and down.

Looks very nice though.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #6 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
There's one big problem with this (aside from the cost and getting it painted to match). If you have Sat Nav, it won't work with this. The Sat Nav is a big black box stuck to the inner side or the hatch that would basically cover half of the glass here, not to mention how you would install it to the glass without screw holes and how to put in the antenna.

To me, it seems like an awful lot of work for the payoff. You might was well buy a Mp4-12C spider because you would see just about as much "engine" from under it's glass.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
There's one big problem with this (aside from the cost and getting it painted to match). If you have Sat Nav, it won't work with this. The Sat Nav is a big black box stuck to the inner side or the hatch that would basically cover half of the glass here, not to mention how you would install it to the glass without screw holes and how to put in the antenna.

To me, it seems like an awful lot of work for the payoff. You might was well buy a Mp4-12C spider because you would see just about as much "engine" from under it's glass.
Saw the post on FCHAT. Wil have to see one installed to make my finally opinion. Still not a fan of the looks of the 458 Spider roll bars. Still patiently awaiting my coupe, but news is supposedly surfacing about the Scuderia version, might be perfect timing.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #8 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Owner

Capristo may just be one step ahead of Ferrari - perhaps it will be a standard on the special editions.

We all know Ferrari likes adding CF later in production - makes sense too me that the Scud / 16M replacement will duplicate an engine bay full of CF.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #9 of 26 Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
I have seen a 458 with carbon intake manifold, so they already have all the parts now.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2
post #10 of 26 Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
I think it looks a little "chintzy" with the glass. The decklid hommage to the F355 rocks. Keep it as-is.

You're driving a Ferrari - others don't need to see the engine to know you rule. It's like a supermodel hiking up her skirt for the world to see. Ya, I want...but totally unnecessary...keep some mystique.
post #11 of 26 Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy eggo View Post
i think it looks a little "chintzy" with the glass. The decklid hommage to the f355 rocks. Keep it as-is.

You're driving a ferrari - others don't need to see the engine to know you rule. It's like a supermodel hiking up her skirt for the world to see. Ya, i want...but totally unnecessary...keep some mystique.
+355
post #12 of 26 Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
458 Spider pictures

hello,
We have made ​​some better pictures

Ciao Antonio
Attached Images

post #13 of 26 Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Pretty. Do did a good job.

For me it looks like very professional and harmonic.
post #14 of 26 Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Owner

Again very well done - Ferrari backed off a highly desired feature.

I can only imagine that design board meeting where the latest Capristo pictures are hanging.

Capristo is the new Shelby to Ferrari.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #15 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Someone should have told them the engine is under the other lid just in front...

Apart from glassing the wrong lid, I think Capristo is a good company with good products. Best exhaust I've had but I miss a titanium option. Watch out for Akrapvic, they make very high end exhausts in titanium. Like Capristo, they also document their power increase.

Going back to the lid, I too feel good vibes on the 355 design homage on the 458 Spider.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM

Hello Capolino,
I repeat once more that it was never our intention to see the engine. In order to avoid that everything is steadily
repeated, please go through our other threads in Ferrari Life. It is also not necessary that someone draws our
attention to the engine being located under the other lid. In terms of exhaust systems please note that we will never made them from titanium. The different in weight between our exhaust made from stainless steel T309 and one made from titanium is about 25 %. Considering an exhaust system with a weight of 14 kg this means about 3,5 kg less. Because of a difference in weight of 3,5 kg we do not want to take the risk that an exhaust systems breaks and the car catches fire. The best titanium available has a heat resistance of 730 - 750 degrees C. Such a temperature is very fast reached when driving a Ferrari where the muffler is so close located to the catalytic converters. It may be working in the long term with cars coming with front engines and the mufflers are located at the rear. But on cars with rear engines where the mufflers are close to the catalytic converters it is simply too risky. We keep our stainless steel T309 that has a heat resistance up to 1050 degrees C. Using this material we are sure that it will withstand the heat. Ciao Antonio.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capristo Exhaust View Post
Hello Capolino,
I repeat once more that it was never our intention to see the engine. In order to avoid that everything is steadily
repeated, please go through our other threads in Ferrari Life. It is also not necessary that someone draws our
attention to the engine being located under the other lid. In terms of exhaust systems please note that we will never made them from titanium. The different in weight between our exhaust made from stainless steel T309 and one made from titanium is about 25 %. Considering an exhaust system with a weight of 14 kg this means about 3,5 kg less. Because of a difference in weight of 3,5 kg we do not want to take the risk that an exhaust systems breaks and the car catches fire. The best titanium available has a heat resistance of 730 - 750 degrees C. Such a temperature is very fast reached when driving a Ferrari where the muffler is so close located to the catalytic converters. It may be working in the long term with cars coming with front engines and the mufflers are located at the rear. But on cars with rear engines where the mufflers are close to the catalytic converters it is simply too risky. We keep our stainless steel T309 that has a heat resistance up to 1050 degrees C. Using this material we are sure that it will withstand the heat. Ciao Antonio.
Thanks, Antonio!

Good reply which confirms my already good impression of Capristo. I've tried many exhausts and I hold Capristo as number one.

I do have a soft spot for exotic materials and that's why I love titanium. I have titanium exhausts on many motorcycles where a 25% weight saving is very welcome, particularly on MX and enduro bikes. I do see your point on a car application but never say never...

Regarding the glass lid, please take some humour my friend. I'm sorry I didn't read the previously written but it wouldn't have changed my post. I think your idea is good and I personally would have loved the glass over the engine instead of over the air box.

During this year I'm placing an order for your heat protected headers with high flow cats, marvellous things those headers!

Oh, while we are talking, I would love an exhaust for my 308 but I see you don't make them for the 308. Are you considering it? If not, will you consider a bespoke exhaust for me?

Salve,
Capo

post #18 of 26 Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
I switched over to the carbon fiber glass deck lid on my TR and love it!

Agreed, this one could be a tad larger perhaps, but still a great idea.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Thanks, Antonio!

Good reply which confirms my already good impression of Capristo. I've tried many exhausts and I hold Capristo as number one.

I do have a soft spot for exotic materials and that's why I love titanium. I have titanium exhausts on many motorcycles where a 25% weight saving is very welcome, particularly on MX and enduro bikes. I do see your point on a car application but never say never...

Regarding the glass lid, please take some humour my friend. I'm sorry I didn't read the previously written but it wouldn't have changed my post. I think your idea is good and I personally would have loved the glass over the engine instead of over the air box.

During this year I'm placing an order for your heat protected headers with high flow cats, marvellous things those headers!

Oh, while we are talking, I would love an exhaust for my 308 but I see you don't make them for the 308. Are you considering it? If not, will you consider a bespoke exhaust for me?

Hi Capolino,

I know that there was some humour in your post. But right now here with us, it's that we have started the production of the hood and this causes much work, which is why I had to keep my answer short. This maybe led to the impression that I did not understand the humour that you tried to convey.

With motorcylces, I think that titanium should not be a problem. The exhaust system lies free and is constantly cooled with air. But with a Ferrari, where headers, sports cats, muffler are all close toegether, and cooling is not that much, the use of titanium is too risky for me. We stay with our T309 with a heat resistance of 1050 degrees. This material is comparable with Inconel. But with the difference that Inconel is harder and does not bend as well as T309.

For your car, the 308, we have up to now only built the 308 QV. That is the same exhaust system as the 328. But this does not fit on the USA version. We have long experimented on this exhaust system until we had a nice sound which did not cause droning noises in the inside. What version of 308 do you have?

For the sport cat with heat protector, is not a problem. Just let us know when you need it and we will build one for you.

Send me a few pictures of your exhaust system of the 308 to [email protected]. Then we will have a look and see if we can build one using our current forms.

Many thanks again for your nice words regarding Capristo and let us know when we can do something for you.

By the way, by the 458 Coupe you also only see the inlet collector and not the engine. Through our glass pane you also see a little from the inlet collector but there are limits and that was the most that we could make visible.

Ciao Antonio
post #20 of 26 Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capristo Exhaust View Post
Hi Capolino,

I know that there was some humour in your post. But right now here with us, it's that we have started the production of the hood and this causes much work, which is why I had to keep my answer short. This maybe led to the impression that I did not understand the humour that you tried to convey.

With motorcylces, I think that titanium should not be a problem. The exhaust system lies free and is constantly cooled with air. But with a Ferrari, where headers, sports cats, muffler are all close toegether, and cooling is not that much, the use of titanium is too risky for me. We stay with our T309 with a heat resistance of 1050 degrees. This material is comparable with Inconel. But with the difference that Inconel is harder and does not bend as well as T309.

For your car, the 308, we have up to now only built the 308 QV. That is the same exhaust system as the 328. But this does not fit on the USA version. We have long experimented on this exhaust system until we had a nice sound which did not cause droning noises in the inside. What version of 308 do you have?

For the sport cat with heat protector, is not a problem. Just let us know when you need it and we will build one for you.

Send me a few pictures of your exhaust system of the 308 to [email protected]. Then we will have a look and see if we can build one using our current forms.

Many thanks again for your nice words regarding Capristo and let us know when we can do something for you.

By the way, by the 458 Coupe you also only see the inlet collector and not the engine. Through our glass pane you also see a little from the inlet collector but there are limits and that was the most that we could make visible.

Ciao Antonio
Hello!

I have a 1975 308 GTB Vetro Resina. My idea of an exhaust is a Group 4 rally exhaust but not crazy loud, just a very good racy sound, F1 scream is good if possible.

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode