458 engine water temps? mine gets near 250F / red sometimes... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
458 engine water temps? mine gets near 250F / red sometimes...

Anyone know if its normal for it to get up there? It has been relatively hot here in LA recently, and when it happens it is when I am driving it relatively hard on the street and at times come to a slow down due to traffic.

I am worried that it doesn't seem to evacuate heat fast enough or well enough... temperature gets near the red on the digital water temp gauge inside the car.

So obviously when I slow down its not getting enough air flow, but I would think the car should be equipped to deal with that...

Insight? Ways to upgrade the cooling?
What tire temps are you guys seeing also? I am getting front tire temps of around 170F-180F when driving hard, but these also seem to take a bit to dissipate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,318
I would get it checked as 120C is not normal. Are the radiator fans working fine? They should start at avg 80C/175F.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Rik- I believe the 458 has all silicone hoses, so they should not be a problem, and I doubt Dave is making kits for the 458 yet.

The car should still be under warranty unless it is a very early car, and I would take it to the dealer and have him check it out and make sure the fans, thermostat, etc are working as designed, and have him bleed the system after a flush and change of coolant. The 458 water temperature gauge in the TFT is redlined at 245 F, but I am not sure when the high water temperature warning lamp illuminates.

F- The water temperature warning indication has not been on, has it? Also, normal internal tire temperature has been published in some TPMS sources as -40 F to 246 F and you are well below that.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Rik- I believe the 458 has all silicone hoses, so they should not be a problem, and I doubt Dave is making kits for the 458 yet.

The car should still be under warranty unless it is a very early car, and I would take it to the dealer and have him check it out and make sure the fans, thermostat, etc are working as designed, and have him bleed the system after a flush and change of coolant. The 458 water temperature gauge in the TFT is redlined at 245 F, but I am not sure when the high water temperature warning lamp illuminates.

F- The water temperature warning indication has not been on, has it? Also, normal internal tire temperature has been published in some TPMS sources as -40 F to 246 F and you are well below that.

I...am...getting....OLD....I thought I saw 456....dam# you Times New Roman font 2!!!!

on the good side, I believed I spelled everything correctly.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Rik- It was a really good treatise on how to fix overheating problems on a 456. You should save it as a Word document for next time. I have been known to do that with stuff other people write. Then I sound smarter than I am based on somebody else's work.

The Times New Roman 2 does lead me to a lot of typos, but do not think Andrew knows how to fix it because I have asked in the past. All TNR is good for is saving ink, which makes it kind of useless on the internet.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasma View Post
Anyone know if its normal for it to get up there? It has been relatively hot here in LA recently, and when it happens it is when I am driving it relatively hard on the street and at times come to a slow down due to traffic.

I am worried that it doesn't seem to evacuate heat fast enough or well enough... temperature gets near the red on the digital water temp gauge inside the car.

So obviously when I slow down its not getting enough air flow, but I would think the car should be equipped to deal with that...

Insight? Ways to upgrade the cooling?
What tire temps are you guys seeing also? I am getting front tire temps of around 170F-180F when driving hard, but these also seem to take a bit to dissipate.
After a hard run I see 110c to 120c when slowing down, but after ten mins is soon cools.
How long does it take to cool down?

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Paul- It should be only a few minutes. If you read the owners manual, it says to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes after you have really ridden her hard. This circulates the water and air and prevents heat from localizing with no coolant or air flow.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Paul- It should be only a few minutes. If you read the owners manual, it says to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes after you have really ridden her hard. This circulates the water and air and prevents heat from localizing with no coolant or air flow.
Yes i would guess so mine takes that long to start to lower.
I don't really consider it as it seems normal to me, after a hard drive.

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode