Looking for new car (Ferrari 458) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Looking for new car (Ferrari 458)

Is it good car? Give me some tips and + - about this car, I've watched this one Ferrari 458 Italia Muu 2011 - Vaihtoauto - Nettiauto (language is Finnish )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,327
Looks very nice and is a 2011 model so fully covered by the warranty. But I was surprised about the price : €414.000 ! Is that usual in Finland?
post #3 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Yes, here cartax is huge so cars are expensive

post #4 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
what exactly do you want to know? it's basically the best car you can buy and they are all new. not much to know really. buy it if you like it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Nice 458 and tastefully done with CF.

Hopefully it's in your garage soon
post #6 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Really depends on what you are looking for. For all out speed and handling, it is about the best you can buy. If it is driver involvement, then a 458 might not be the best option.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
if it is driver involvement, then a 458 might not be the best option.
amen!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Really depends on what you are looking for. For all out speed and handling, it is about the best you can buy. If it is driver involvement, then a 458 might not be the best option.
Is there something wrong with the steering or is it the suspension, or both? A lot of famed "drivers cars" are switching to electronic steering these days. Don't tell Ferrari is one of them.

Reggie

2007 Glacier Frost GS350
2006 Obsidian GS300
post #9 of 18 Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
As the cars search to "develop" and "progress", they are forced to rely more on safety and electronic aids. There just really isn't any need to go faster or handle better. Those limits have been pretty much met for driving on the road. A car that is extremely competent on a track can be a little boring running around the countryside from a driving perspective. This was driven home to me when i owned the diablo and the 328. The 328 was just much more "fun" to drive around the suburbs(and still is). the diablo was just too competent. I really couldn't push that car too get the fun as easily as the 328. It just went right around the corner with little fuss.

I don't want to speak for boxer, but having met him and looking at his stable, i think that is what he means.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 18 Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
Is there something wrong with the steering or is it the suspension, or both? A lot of famed "drivers cars" are switching to electronic steering these days. Don't tell Ferrari is one of them.
The 458 is outstanding but it is full of electronic drivers aids. In a large percentage of the situations a 458 will be much better than the driver. It is a very easy car to drive amazingly fast. On the other end, in 0% of the situations is a F40 better than the driver and something like a XJR-15 is very difficult to drive near the limit.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
The 458 is outstanding but it is full of electronic drivers aids. In a large percentage of the situations a 458 will be much better than the driver. It is a very easy car to drive amazingly fast. On the other end, in 0% of the situations is a F40 better than the driver and something like a XJR-15 is very difficult to drive near the limit.
It might be easy to drive it amazingly fast but to drive it on the limit then you must switch off all driver aids and traction control systems and ...then you must be a really good driver to control and make use of its amazing dynamics.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkalamariotis View Post
It might be easy to drive it amazingly fast but to drive it on the limit then you must switch off all driver aids and traction control systems and ...then you must be a really good driver to control and make use of its amazing dynamics.
No, actually if you are really going to push it hard, you leave the systems on. It is faster around a track in race mode than it is if you disable everything.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
No, actually if you are really going to push it hard, you leave the systems on. It is faster around a track in race mode than it is if you disable everything.
Call me a contrarian.

I would turn the system off if you want an adrenaline rush driving on the edge - which is why, sometimes, I turn off the traction control on the 360.

I find it helps me to know MY limits, not the car's limits.

I field tested the TR and can tell you that it is a bad ass car when the back end gets loose. I tend to enjoy driving w/o all the driver aids (non-track events excepted).

Q - can you completely turn off all the electronic driver assist(s) in the 458?
post #14 of 18 Old 12-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
Agree! All out speed is what I am interested for, so a manual car like gt3 rs will be slowing you down and I often find annoying the manual gearshift on some ocasions like when shifting from first to second or when donshifting from fouth to third and second with heel and toe and the revs hit the limiter (it can't be perfect everytime) or when you want to change down a gear while turning during a bend that becomes tighter and the lateral acceleration becomes a problem and in the end all these slow you down and become annoying.
But if all out speed is not what you are looking for and you don't like on the limit driving, then I suppose a gt3 rs or even better a carrera gt is a better choise.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
Q - can you completely turn off all the electronic driver assist(s) in the 458?
I'm afraid you can't. Even on the F430, with CST/Off, it's never completely off as the secondary systems (ABS,EBD,E-Diff,etc) remain active. With CST/Off, only the engine torque control is deactivated.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
i just spent two days on a F1 track with a 458. The Corsa Pilota was amazing! If you are looking for speed but in the safest way, then 458 is the one. It's the fastest car i have ever driven, and even pushing the car "beyond my own limits", the traction control and tech's kick in to keep you on the track. Agreed that the car can probably drive itself! But to be fair, it is v balanced, and the dual clutch is v smooth, amazingly light and responsive. Thumbs up for me!
post #17 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I think taking the nanny's off for a windy road run is suicide with a 500 hp vehicle.

There are way too many factors to deal with on the open road vs a track.

I have never seen a tree move!

On a track do whatever you want and enjoy - on the road IMO it's like taking off the abs.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I think taking the nanny's off for a windy road run is suicide with a 500 hp vehicle.

There are way too many factors to deal with on the open road vs a track.

I have never seen a tree move!

On a track do whatever you want and enjoy - on the road IMO it's like taking off the abs.
I agree - that's why you always see, sooner or later, new people who buy exotics...they slide and glide into something on the road.

These 'tracky' exotics, or exotics w/ sport/track enabled can be dangerous on normal, public roads w/ very little to no room for error.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode