458 drive - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1.360.LOVER View Post
Barry, I noticed that you have an F1 360. So do I. I was wondering what the 458 shifting felt like in comparison to our cars in sport mode? I hear it's seamless and very smooth. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The F1 gear change on the 458 is much quicker and smoother than the 360 and 430. Having driven all three though, the one I prefer is the "almost as quick as the 458" "hammer thump" of the 430 Scuderia F1 gear change.
Having never driven a Scud I can't comment on that gear change, but the difference between the 360 and 458 gearchange is light years. I don't remember there being any close to the difference in speed/smoothness of gearchange when I drove the 430 and compared it to the 360.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,327
The F458 has a complete different gearbox compared to the previous models. The Getrag Powershift DCT 7DCL750 is a wet 7-speed dual-clutch transmission and integrates everything including the EDiff3. It has triple cones on all gears and weights 120kg! There is no more "F1 hydraulic" pump even if the gear shifter system remains hydraulic. It has a maximum torque capacity of 750Nm.

Name:  Getrag.jpg
Views: 2906
Size:  33.1 KB

Clutch wear is estimated being between 100K and 200K but only real usage will confirm the real clutch life on the Italia. The good thing is that the software will never allow excessive slipping like standing still uphill.

Here is a part of a Getrag document :

The new Ferrari 458 Italia is equipped with the GETRAG Powershift
7DCL750 transmission with the world-first of an active differential lock (eLSD, electronically controlled limited slip differential) integrated into a dual clutch transmission. It is actuated by the transmission electronics and the system hydraulics present in the transmission and can thus further optimize driving dynamics. The use of a planetary gear differential and a disk pack arrangement according to the shaft to shaft principle produces an extremely compact design with low clutch torques. Carbon fiber friction disks and a shared transmission oil supply guarantee a high thermal load capacity.
The differential does not need separate actuators or an ECU (electronic control unit) because the dual clutch transmission delivers the hydraulic pressure needed for actuation and the control strategy of the differential lock has been integrated into the transmission control unit.

Compared to the robotized manual gearbox of previous models (355-360-430), the Getrag gearbox is a total different unit and will never procure the "hammer" effect of the Scud.

DCT simplified schema

Attached Images

post #23 of 24 Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Stef
I can't even begin to understand 20% of that but I'm impressed none the less. Thanks for posting. At least I have been fortunate enough to understand the difference it makes when in the driving seat

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #24 of 24 Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
your very lucky is be able to drive such a machine. I sat in one a couple of weekends ago in a ferrari dealership. I loved it from just sitting in it.

if you can see yourself doing it, it is possible - mike spinner

will be a proud owner of a ferrari 360 spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode