The 458 Your Opinion? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
The 458 Your Opinion?

Is it worth the cash on something that will depreciate so fast? Should I go with the F430

Last edited by Ferari; 05-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
My take.

All Ferraris depreciate to an Nth Degree, and the 458 will be no exception:
- Understanding when that lower water mark happens is always a thread of discussion on any web site or over any beer. That applies to any Ferrari.
- Having said that, I believe the 458 is much more a benchmark Ferrari as in F40 or Enzo introductions. I am not saying those previous were light-years ahead, but a benchmark that holds better over time than some other models. The 458 will be remembered a bit better than some of its earlier models.

430 has a bit more to go on depreciation, especially since the 458 is now available.

The 360 is nearing a currently lower benchmark but has a ways to go as like the 355 still can see some depreciation. Have to remember there are newer models beyond these and it becomes a question of style one loves/wants or can afford at the time. Every Ferrari will have its fan, and there will be a person/market for every seat.

The older 348[minus] types are at about their low marks, and time will tell for their appreciation/depreciation. Only maintenance and upkeep will allow them to stay at the current figures. Over time, we will see "another one bites the dust" as they will slowly dwindle. A good representation will cost $$$ to keep them for the next 20+ years to represent even today's market price.

The real question of what I see in your sentence is: Am I ready to spring for that ultimate, current model and will it keep the value, or because this is my first Ferrari entry should I go for a 430.
My answer [me only] is go for the 430, and graduate, UNLESS you have money to enjoy the most current.

As models of the same general type go, the last iteration of the series is the best. The 430 states that for its general type.

The 458 is a 'new' entry of a series we'll be seeing for another 10 years. It will be introduced as a spyder, a comp. as usual, then the endless upping of engine sizes and a few more CF blings here, there, etc.

One thing I noticed in the 458 that is much better than first gen. Ferraris [as that's about what I take it to be] is the general lack of immediate problems [flaming ones aside]. Also, as I always say that, we come to learn of Ferrari design flaws and mfgr problems down the road. That almost common Ferrari problem may have been better addressed if not more solved: but I would not hold my breath especially as I read the endless California problems lately.

I haven't sprung for a 355, 360, 430 and certainly not the 458, but thinking you might be better served on a very good, 'introductory' [to your Ferrari experience] 430, but if you have that bank account: Go higher.

Personally I believe both to be cars I would consider. Hate to say it but I would pass on the 355 and 360 today. Not because I don't like them but for the reasons stated above. I have special feeling for the 355, but based on maintenance and possibly non-addressed issues I would always pass on it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 05-10-2011 at 04:16 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
depends on how long you want to keep it and what your level of pain tolerance is. Over the years i imagine a 458 could depreciate more than a 430 costs now. if you sell it in six months, might hold it's value.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Money isn't much of an issue but also I don't like spending money how do I say it dumbly and unwisely, because before you know it, you're out of money. Anyways whatever car I get it must be a spyder. I think I will go with a F430. Now do I want black or red. Black I feel is sort of like 'I have to much money' black and red is 'look at me I'm in a Ferrari and better than you' but they are the two best colors, I enjoy the car. I'm not showy and want every too know I have a Ferrari
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
everyone that sees it will know you have a ferrari. Looks like you have settled on a black F430 spyder. That was easy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode