California Successor? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
California Successor?

Given all the controversy around the Ferrari California, should they produce a successor in a few years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #3 of 19 Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
It may not be what some call a "true" ferrari, but as long as they continue to sell there will be a successor.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
It may not be what some call a "true" ferrari, but as long as they continue to sell there will be a successor.
Not sure they are selling. Just the other day on the radio here in San Francisco I heard a promotional ad for a art festival, in the sound bite they dedicated the majority to Ferrari of San Francisco, saying, "Come see the Ferrari California etc etc..." Not used to hearing a Ferrari ad on the radio.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Not sure they are selling. Just the other day on the radio here in San Francisco I heard a promotional ad for a art festival, in the sound bite they dedicated the majority to Ferrari of San Francisco, saying, "Come see the Ferrari California etc etc..." Not used to hearing a Ferrari ad on the radio.

I have heard that sales have slowed considerably. The wait list has dried up as many buyers have switched orders to the 459 Italia.

Perhaps now they will start developing a light weight successor with a twin turbo V6.....
post #6 of 19 Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
The Cali's value seemed to hold up quite well... They'll make a successor
post #7 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I like the California - never understood the rub.

The Maser and and the Cali share a lot of parts and platform - my guess is Ferrari will go lightweight with cf. targeting Mclaren.

At some point Ferrari needs to pump money into their cf relationship just like Lambo in a joint venture with Boring.

There has to be a better faster way to produce cf - eventually it's going to be like LED lamps.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townshend View Post
The Cali's value seemed to hold up quite well... They'll make a successor
In the UK, values have just started to take a major hit.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
In the UK, values have just started to take a major hit.
Timing is ripe - all those leases are coming due.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
I purchased my California without taking a test drive and owned her for just 7 short weeks, I couldn't gel with it as it shared more driving characteristics with a standard Maserati GranTurismo 4.7 Auto, than with those of any other modern day Ferrari, and it is sadly lacking the Masers glorious exhaust note & beautiful body, so for my money I'd rather own a standard Maser even despite its roof not folding! So no, I think they should shelve the California and the Fiat group should make a Maser hardtop convertible instead!

California's kept their resale values pretty well for their 1st 2 years of production, just like any new modern day Ferrari. New price circa 160k, 3 year used from an official Dealer circa 115k, although thats 45k that's still less than a 30% drop off in 3 years. Albeit Dealers will be buying them in for At least 10k less if not more!

The amazing thing is that a 2-3 year old Cali is similarly priced to a 3-4 year old 599GTB which cost 50 grand more to start with and it is definately not in the same league as the magnificent 599GTB.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 04-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
The amazing thing is that a 2-3 year old Cali is similarly priced to a 3-4 year old 599GTB which cost 50 grand more to start with and it is definately not in the same league as the magnificent 599GTB.

That is amazing. I would trade in for a 599

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #12 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
I actually like the California's exhaust note better than the Maserati. Maserati reminds me of the Scuderia exhaust, deep. Fabspeed's exhaust on a California sounds glorious.

I thought about a California, but I am extremely happy with the Scuderia Coupe, and LP570-4 Performante set up. I have every car on the freeway pulling up with their I-phones here in Wash. State.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
The 2013 California gets a big boost in hp and torque and there is an optional handling package. Most California owners love the cars and many are first time owners. Car has done a good job of making a whole new market for Ferrari.

Here in the States, they have held their value way better than the Scuderia. Probably due to a bigger potential pool of owners. If all your neighbors have 911s and SLs, a California is one-upmanship in a nice package that has been very reliable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
The 2013 California gets a big boost in hp and torque and there is an optional handling package. Most California owners love the cars and many are first time owners. Car has done a good job of making a whole new market for Ferrari.

Here in the States, they have held their value way better than the Scuderia. Probably due to a bigger potential pool of owners. If all your neighbors have 911s and SLs, a California is one-upmanship in a nice package that has been very reliable.
Plus it's a hardtop. If it was me, I would take a California, with the new forged wheels, all day over a Maserati, that takes a huge hit on depreciation. Just have to convince my significant other though, because she wants me to get her a GT'S Spyder in a couple years.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Mark- Tell her about the 7 years of free routine service. Do not think the Maseratis have that, but am not sure.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 04-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
re: values not just like any modern day Ferrari, FF values are not holding
post #17 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
Plus it's a hardtop. If it was me, I would take a California, with the new forged wheels, all day over a Maserati, that takes a huge hit on depreciation. Just have to convince my significant other though, because she wants me to get her a GT'S Spyder in a couple years.

Mark, methinks if you guys had our European version of the MC Stradale over there you'd be smitten by it, especially given the caliber of your toys....it's a Scud version of the GranTurismo which works extremely well in real life and as it is only 1 year into production, and very limited in supply, depreciation is not yet an issue. In the European market it's V8 just has to be one of the best sounding engines full stop! It's very deep and guttural & the pops, blips, barps on it's never ending overruns are simply awesome....you may have already guessed I absolutely adore mine, seriously huge amount of bang for the bucks!

If my only options were a GT Spider or California, I'd too take the California ever time.

Townshend, you're entirely correct, my comment made was relational to modern day V8 Ferrari's. As we all know Modern day V12's take a pounding & suffer huge depreciation when new. Perfect example, in October last year I was offered a 2-tone, (Bianco Avus & Grigio Alpaco) 1 year old, 599HGTE for only 150k from an official dealer, absolutely amazing value considering it only had 4k miles and according to the supplying invoice it had cost it's original owner 248k new...I wasn't fast enough off the blocks and keep feeling that this 599 was the one that got away!

Taz, theres no 7 year service on a Maserati over here, their service schedule is 2 years or 12k miles though, servicing works out similar to Ferrari V8 charging, which makes sense given they're the builder of it's 4.7 engines and the gearbox is from the 599!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 04-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Similar situation on the Grancabrio Sport in a year or two. We test drove one last fall and it was really quite good.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Quote:
I actually like the California's exhaust note better than the Maserati. Maserati reminds me of the Scuderia exhaust, deep. Fabspeed's exhaust on a California sounds glorious.

I thought about a California, but I am extremely happy with the Scuderia Coupe, and LP570-4 Performante set up. I have every car on the freeway pulling up with their I-phones here in Wash. State.
this might be the nicest weekend in wa state this year. B-). did you make it to the redmonds show yesterday ?

i can't recall seeing a California at weekly show.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode