Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Current V8s: 458, 488, California, Portofino, LaFerrari (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/current-v8s-458-488/)
-   -   Prospective Buyer of Ferrari California (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/current-v8s-458-488/11152-prospective-buyer-ferrari-california.html)

mike58 01-24-2010 09:23 PM

Prospective Buyer of Ferrari California

I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Ferrari California.
To anyone who owns a Ferrari California are there any negatives regarding the car and what options would you recommend to get in the car.

Boxer 01-24-2010 10:02 PM

Depreciation would be the largest negative. How long are you intending to keep it for?

Italian Lover 01-25-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike58 (Post 109524)
I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Ferrari California.
To anyone who owns a Ferrari California are there any negatives regarding the car and what options would you recommend to get in the car.

Frankly, there are no negatives if this is the car you wish to have because the reasons are personal. I doubt anyone would argue with the specs, must be very nice. Wish you the best with the California and do let us all know your impressions. We love pics too. w/ smiles Jimmy

mike58 01-25-2010 11:27 AM

Thanks for the response :)

I'd love to hear feedback from Ferrari California owners.

Granucci 01-25-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike58 (Post 109585)
Thanks for the response :)

I'd love to hear feedback from Ferrari California owners.

There have been reported, about three if I can recall correctly, of failing transmissions. Ferrari has not said what or how, but since they were under warranty they just replaced, in at least two cases IIRC the entire transmission.

The only people I've heard haveing similar problems were the 430 people, and they were under warranty too.

Something about the clutch, but nothing was revealed.

il Capolino 01-25-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba
Frankly, there are no negatives if this is the car you wish to have because the reasons are personal.

+1:
Dear mike58,

Buying a Ferrari is first of all a passion purchase. The emotions and disagreements seem to rise particularly when debating the Scaglietti and the new California. I suppose strong feelings are proof of how highly valued Ferrari cars and Ferrari racing are amongst ferraristi. I have never heard anybody debating as fervently over model changes at Volvo...

il Capolino

Baller 01-25-2010 03:04 PM

It doesn't cost a quarter mill to upgrade to the next Volvo model either.

wetpet 01-25-2010 03:44 PM

1280 Attachment(s)
Hey mike, i'd like to turn the tables if i may. Tell us why you are looking to buy a california. This might help us understand what options to recommend. As far as problems go, i would imagine buying a new ferrari would be pretty safe as it would be under warranty.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

viscount aero 01-27-2010 07:39 PM

Inasmuch controversy as the F149 has created, it's definitely an all-around great Ferrari GT, a sort of all-in-one package.

You get the drop top, the Ferrari V8 variant of the F430's engine, supercar benchmarks of performance, a comfortable ride and transmission setup.

If you're in the market for a Ferrari, there seems to be no downside to buying one. Depreciation should not be a factor because if you endeavor to buy any new car, you are doing so for pleasure and because you have the money.

You don't arrive at Ferrari with economy in mind. You are wealthy and have cash ready to lay down quick.

Rosso Spyder 01-30-2010 12:28 PM

why would the california depreciate more?

wetpet 01-30-2010 12:41 PM

1280 Attachment(s)
more than what? it's current stablemate the f430 or the new 458 italia?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Boxer 01-30-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosso Spyder (Post 110182)
why would the california depreciate more?

Supply and demand. Give it two-three years, there will be plenty of Californias on the market and most of the potential buyers will have a choice, slightly older 430 for the same or a bit less or a 458. Believe the demand will be for the 4XX series.

JazzyO 01-31-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscount aero (Post 109901)
Depreciation should not be a factor because if you endeavor to buy any new car, you are doing so for pleasure and because you have the money.

You don't arrive at Ferrari with economy in mind. You are wealthy and have cash ready to lay down quick.

There are many levels of wealth and a Ferrari buyer is not stereotype. There are plenty of people, for instance, that buy new Ferraris on finance, and plenty of them are Cali buyers as an alternative for a Merc SL AMG or something similar. Some people put 10% down, some 50%, some 80%. For them, depreciation is very much a factor. Not everyone buys a car for the pure driving experience either, even Ferraris. A combination of status and looks is plenty for some buyers and they'll be off buying a Maserati next year and maybe a Merc again after that. I'm not judging - it keeps Ferrari in business.

For myself, depreciation IS a factor. Not the main worry, but it is destruction of my net worth and I worry about it just as much as I do about my investments. I've worked very long hours for that money, so it'd be dumb not to take it into account. But, once the decision is taken, you shouldn't worry about it anymore.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Rosso Spyder 01-31-2010 06:13 AM

well at least the f cars seem to hold more resale or trade in value...i bought my 07 lamborghini spyder in 09...the original msrp was $232k...i purchased for $165k...one year later i was looking to trade and purchase with a dealer a 2010 california...the best trade number on my car was $130k....which is $15k greater than some other dealers quoted with california's in their inventory...yet 430's the same year seem to have kept a better value...one might think the lamborghini and ferrari would be similar in this regard but that has not been the experience of many. wonder why?

mike58 02-01-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyO (Post 110228)
There are many levels of wealth and a Ferrari buyer is not stereotype. There are plenty of people, for instance, that buy new Ferraris on finance, and plenty of them are Cali buyers as an alternative for a Merc SL AMG or something similar. Some people put 10% down, some 50%, some 80%. For them, depreciation is very much a factor. Not everyone buys a car for the pure driving experience either, even Ferraris. A combination of status and looks is plenty for some buyers and they'll be off buying a Maserati next year and maybe a Merc again after that. I'm not judging - it keeps Ferrari in business.

For myself, depreciation IS a factor. Not the main worry, but it is destruction of my net worth and I worry about it just as much as I do about my investments. I've worked very long hours for that money, so it'd be dumb not to take it into account. But, once the decision is taken, you shouldn't worry about it anymore.

Onno

A+ post
Thanks

viscount aero 02-01-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyO (Post 110228)

Onno

Well-stated points; I always enjoy your posts.

In sporting rebuttal I will offer that a car, particularly a new car, is a liability and not an asset, even as the car may retain a % of it's MSRP value for a given number of years.

This is the thrust of my position: My net worth is compartmentalized and standing apart from a luxury purchase such as a new car (or for a used car). Net worth conservation is buttressed and promoted if and only if purchasing a collectible car, a hard asset, such as a 250SWB. Otherwise you are parting with money for recreational purposes at the Ferrari level. You figure it in as a vainglorious expendable.

The segment of buyers that depreciation would probably apply to are the finance/money-down/credit segment who opt for leases, who flip cars every 2 or 3 years because they must have a new car at any time.

The segment of buyers to whom that applies to notwithstanding, perhaps some of the points don't apply to my mentality; at this level of buying it would appear that if one were concerned about depreciation then they shouldn't consider a Ferrari in general. I would never consider seriously financing a Ferrari. And I know that doesn't mirror everyone else's choices. Your points are again well-taken.

Boxer 02-01-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscount aero (Post 110481)
Well-stated points; I always enjoy your posts.

In sporting rebuttal I will offer that a car, particularly a new car, is a liability and not an asset, even as the car may retain a % of it's MSRP value for a given number of years.

Not always true. At the very high end (F40, F50, Enzo) depreciation, if there is any at all, is limited and very short term.

viscount aero 02-01-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer (Post 110513)
Not always true. At the very high end (F40, F50, Enzo) depreciation, if there is any at all, is limited and very short term.

I agree with you, but those aren't new cars and they are collectible, considered hard assets; perhaps you missed this part of my post:

"Net worth conservation is buttressed and promoted if and only if purchasing a collectible car, a hard asset, such as a 250SWB. Otherwise you are parting with money for recreational purposes at the Ferrari level. You figure it in as a vainglorious expendable."