Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 04-30-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Forum software.....

Hey Guys,

My apologies if some of you like the forum software but I really wish it was different.

For one, the system can't seem to retain what I've read and what I've not - I constantly need "to mark forum read" over and over again. I don't get it.

There are many other features I don't love either - I wish Ferrari Life would select a better software package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 129
Garage
If the community request for an upgrade, I can ask the techs if it is able to.

~ LL, community support
post #3 of 50 Old 04-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,185
Let's put together a wish list?

1. I'd like to see better anti-spammer membership filters. FChat doesn't seem to have near the problems we do with spammers, and I'm sure it's not because their mods are policing any more closely than ours?

2. I'd also like to be able to attach native Excel files now & then. Can do this on 2 other car forums (including FChat), but not here.

On the plus side, I do like the ability to format text here (Bold, Underline, Italic, Color) - that's not possible on FChat.

Nor is it possible on FChat (but it is here) to embed hotlinks to images hosted elsewhere, which is really useful if you're writing a procedure and you want to annotate each step with a photo. Much more intuitive to have the text right above the photo, rather than batching up all the photos at the end as attachments, and trying to reference them like Pic #1, Pic #2, etc.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 50 Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I'd like to see an editor with a larger window where the text is not so small. If I use outlook and cut and paste, it all goes to hell.

John, you can bold, underline in Fchat but you need to know the code (IIRC).

I'd like to see the sections broken out more like Fchat, especially the classifieds as they are almost hidden here - they are not, but you need to go look for them.

I think Fchat has way to many sections so I'm not suggesting that but I think each era car should have it's own.

Fchat has a technical section - I think that is a total waste and redundant given each car section contains technical threads and posts.

I think to get proper feedback, a link to this tread should be in every section (for a while) or many may not even see it.
post #5 of 50 Old 04-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
I'd like to see an editor with a larger window where the text is not so small. If I use outlook and cut and paste, it all goes to hell.

John, you can bold, underline in Fchat but you need to know the code (IIRC).

I'd like to see the sections broken out more like Fchat, especially the classifieds as they are almost hidden here - they are not, but you need to go look for them.

I think Fchat has way to many sections so I'm not suggesting that but I think each era car should have it's own.

Fchat has a technical section - I think that is a total waste and redundant given each car section contains technical threads and posts.

I think to get proper feedback, a link to this tread should be in every section (for a while) or many may not even see it.
I will leave the technical side of this to the tekkies that know what they are doing. What I would like to say is that I have personally has discussions with a few F-car owners as to why they don't frequent this site as opposed to the other. The same answer is given each and every time....They don't like the format here but they love the format over there. Like I said, I will leave the technical side of that to those that know it well but the other site is much more easier to navigate.
post #6 of 50 Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,839
John- Contol u, control i, and control b work on the other site, as do all the Word commands using the keyboard. At least they do with IE, not with Chrome.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 01:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
John- Contol u, control i, and control b work on the other site, as do all the Word commands using the keyboard. At least they do with IE, not with Chrome.
Thanks Taz, I didn't realise those commands worked over there with IE; I switched to Chrome a couple years ago and now use IE only when I have to. IE feels clunky and bloated after Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355 View Post
I will leave the technical side of this to the tekkies that know what they are doing. What I would like to say is that I have personally has discussions with a few F-car owners as to why they don't frequent this site as opposed to the other. The same answer is given each and every time....They don't like the format here but they love the format over there. Like I said, I will leave the technical side of that to those that know it well but the other site is much more easier to navigate.
Interesting. I thought the layouts were actually fairly similar? Organised sort of by models and generation. Maybe you could cite some more examples?

I do agree with the comment on the Classifieds - they're hard to find.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #8 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Take a look at Maserati Life (which I think is the same owners as this site) - the software seems much nicer.
post #9 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Garage
I have upped the spam filter and block to stop spammers from accessing the forum. It's not foolproof but it should stop a majority of them.

Maserati Life is running the same version of VBulletin as this forum but I can ask if we can update the layout if you want.

As for the editor, are you referring to the post edit box or just the post box in general?

~Kay
post #10 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariadmin View Post

As for the editor, are you referring to the post edit box or just the post box in general?

~Kay
The box that I am typing this message in right now - I have a 30" monitor and can barely read what I'm typing...

PS - Maserati Life and Fchat both use the full screen width where this is using only the middle...
post #11 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Garage
The font in the quick reply box looks okay on my end. What about when you click on the Go advanced button? Is the font still tiny? Also, a screenshot will help immensely.

Thank you!

~Kay
post #12 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariadmin View Post
The font in the quick reply box looks okay on my end. What about when you click on the Go advanced button? Is the font still tiny? Also, a screenshot will help immensely.

Thank you!

~Kay

Yes, it's still the same and the font appears to be different than the font used for the actual post.

As a side note, even if there are settings to alter this, new members are not going to see it and folks may be turned off. IMO, it needs to be better by default.
Attached Images

post #13 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Dave- If you hit control + it will increase the size of the font on the whole screen.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Dave- If you hit control + it will increase the size of the font on the whole screen.
Thanks, but I really don't want to have to do that all the time.
post #15 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Dave- When you do that, it is permanent. Does not change back when you leave the site.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #16 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Dave- When you do that, it is permanent. Does not change back when you leave the site.
Thanks. I just did it and it's better but I still think IMO that the forum would be much better with a change.
post #17 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Hey Guys,

For one, the system can't seem to retain what I've read and what I've not - I constantly need "to mark forum read" over and over again. I don't get it.
+1
And to embed youtube and maybe vimeo videos, too, by c/p only the link. Current way is complicated and 90% people don't know how to use it. Other forums have it like that and it would be a great addition.

Ferrariadmin, thank you for better spam and bot filter. Thanks for reading and taking these into consideration.

Oh, and to mention mobile enhanced view. It looks fancy, but with tapatalk on, I never use it.
post #18 of 50 Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
My bug bear is that on Instagram I can upload a video from my phone in seconds. to do the same here would take literally hours. Uploading to YouTube is the deal breaker.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #19 of 50 Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
post #20 of 50 Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
Plain and simple VB software has been going downhill last 10 years
I run several instances of it only for the fact I have free license's and easier to move the site when it's time to go.

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode