importing - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
importing

Hi Guys!

First post and living out west here in Calgary. Great site.

I've been shopping and looking hard at the 355 spyder.

I've narrowed down to 2 in Canada, however I'm very tempted to import one.
My question is reguarding the RIV site, as far as I can tell you can bring the 355 in. A letter of recall/daytime lights are needed and an inspection from a ferrari dealer is the catch. The other catch is 5 grand for the inspection and 1500 for the letter.

Anyone have any experience bringing one in? specifically the 355?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with the info you want, but the Canadians that visit the forum shall give you a hand

good luck with the search!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 8 Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
I imported my 360 spider in April, and decided to get professional help because the rules/requirements for importation by RIV and FNA were changing rapidly at the beginning of the year. I used James Simpson, and it was trivial for me. We found the car and he took care of the import paperwork/inspections/shipping etc.

The only thing my car needed for import was a wiring harness that enabled daytime running lights. I had that work done at Ferrari of Denver. I got a notarized recall clearance letter as well. PM me if you want details about those docs.

I was originally looking at importing a 355, but they weren't allowed back then. Lucky you! Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by P1-EH; 10-27-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added drl info

post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
importing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with the info you want, but the Canadians that visit the forum shall give you a hand

good luck with the search!
New Ferrari owner here, I just bought a US F355 GTS and am planning to import it into canada ( west coast . I am currently getting all of the RIV paperwork together and may have found a loophole which could alleviate the outageous 6K canadian ferrari dealerships want for a recall letter. If it works, I will be sure to provide details on here, as I hate being put over a barrel this way.

Also, has anyone installed Daytime running lights ( canadian requirement ) on a 355 ? DIY wiring diagrams, istructions, recommended kits would be appreciated.

Last edited by wwillywild_1; 01-28-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Is your car register in Canada? Did you have to dish out the 5 or 6 grand for the recall letter?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Anyone out importing a Ferrari to Canada(Quebec)? I can help you plate the car.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Importing update - success !

It's been a while since I have been on here, thus thought it would be good to update you on the main parts of my experience. I should start be telling anyone that is looking to do this themselves to do your homework and keep everything documented. also, if the car is 15 years or older, you don't need to go through the RIV process. ( 95 and soon 96 models will be ok to go )

I considered paying a broker to take care of everything, basically take the car door to door from the east coast to the west coast -several quotes came out pretty close :

FNA recall letter - 6K USD , local ferrari inspection and install of daytime running lights etc - quoted min 4K , trucking acros the country - 3K, broker fees - anywhere from 1200 - 3000 K add this all up and you may as well buy something in canada .. right ?

I can tell you that I did not pay FNA 6K for a letter, i did not pay a broker, and my trucking cost was $1800.00 (enclosed trailer.) I paid 88.00 for a daytime running light kit which I installed myself meticulously in 30- 45 minutes.

The key is to ensure that the car you are buying has all the recalls done in the US - THIS WORK IS FREE AT AUTHORIZED FERRARI SHOPS in the US.

So I had the car towed to the nearest ferrari dealer, they performed all the updates, fixed my airbag light ( I paid $118.00 for that ) asked them to give me a bill with a statement that all updates were performed, and off I went.

RIV was a bit of a pain in the ass as they kept asking me for more details on the recall work. I patiently kept sending them information, complete VIN NUMBER, dealership service history printout, etc. once they finally accepted everything, I trailered the car to the border myself, payed my duties and taxes, unloaded her in my drive way and stared at her till midnight with beer(s) in hand.

The next task was to get her inspected - in canada, canadian tire is the official RIV inspection site - (scary , I know) if you read the rules as dictaed by ferrari, ferrari states that the car has to be inspected by a local ferrari shop. RIV accepted Canadian tire to inspect my car... So one sunny saturday morning , off I went. All the mechanics there were drooling over the car - no one wanted to touch it ! I was sitting outside close by and watching every move they made the most senior tech did the inspection (for fear the tech kids may spunk all over it is my guess) - They tried to jack it up, but quickly noticed that the whole under of the car has a windage tray - their jacks would also not fit right and they really did not want to risk f'ing anything up, so basically they checked brakes, lights, weight stickers etc. in fairness they were pretty thorough and careful about everything they did. An hour and $60 later, I was in a nearby autoplan shop buying insurance. I installed a tubi system ( found on ebay for 1,000.00 ) and installed it perfectly. I plan to perform the full 30 K service this winter, pulling the engine out of the car, replacing all hardware hoses , repaint valve covers etc - basically all of the detailed things that i know shops won't spend time doing the same as one would do on his own baby.

There is alot more to the story, and it was a fair amount of work, luck , and preserverence on my part....but I can tell you that I enjoyed this past summer hitting redline on many Canadian higways with this car - hearing one of these sob's at full song makes all the headaches and bs worthwhile ... believe me !

Good luck to anyone else out there

Last edited by wwillywild_1; 10-20-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 8 Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
F355 question

Hi There,

I really enjoyed reading your post below as I just finished going through the same process my self (1997 F355 GTS) in November 2010. I purchased it in the USA and brought it up into Canada (no need for me to tell you the details as you have already gone throgh the process yourself). What I was wondering was how and where you purchased your DRL kit? I had my DRLs activated (by a Ferrari dealership) and passed inspection but I am not satisfied that they did the best job. What they did was to somehow jump my park lights so my dash lights are on all the time now. I was under the impression that they should have done something to activate the fog lights........how are yours configured?

Regards,
Antonie355

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwillywild_1 View Post
It's been a while since I have been on here, thus thought it would be good to update you on the main parts of my experience. I should start be telling anyone that is looking to do this themselves to do your homework and keep everything documented. also, if the car is 15 years or older, you don't need to go through the RIV process. ( 95 and soon 96 models will be ok to go )

I considered paying a broker to take care of everything, basically take the car door to door from the east coast to the west coast -several quotes came out pretty close :

FNA recall letter - 6K USD , local ferrari inspection and install of daytime running lights etc - quoted min 4K , trucking acros the country - 3K, broker fees - anywhere from 1200 - 3000 K add this all up and you may as well buy something in canada .. right ?

I can tell you that I did not pay FNA 6K for a letter, i did not pay a broker, and my trucking cost was $1800.00 (enclosed trailer.) I paid 88.00 for a daytime running light kit which I installed myself meticulously in 30- 45 minutes.

The key is to ensure that the car you are buying has all the recalls done in the US - THIS WORK IS FREE AT AUTHORIZED FERRARI SHOPS in the US.

So I had the car towed to the nearest ferrari dealer, they performed all the updates, fixed my airbag light ( I paid $118.00 for that ) asked them to give me a bill with a statement that all updates were performed, and off I went.

RIV was a bit of a pain in the ass as they kept asking me for more details on the recall work. I patiently kept sending them information, complete VIN NUMBER, dealership service history printout, etc. once they finally accepted everything, I trailered the car to the border myself, payed my duties and taxes, unloaded her in my drive way and stared at her till midnight with beer(s) in hand.

The next task was to get her inspected - in canada, canadian tire is the official RIV inspection site - (scary , I know) if you read the rules as dictaed by ferrari, ferrari states that the car has to be inspected by a local ferrari shop. RIV accepted Canadian tire to inspect my car... So one sunny saturday morning , off I went. All the mechanics there were drooling over the car - no one wanted to touch it ! I was sitting outside close by and watching every move they made the most senior tech did the inspection (for fear the tech kids may spunk all over it is my guess) - They tried to jack it up, but quickly noticed that the whole under of the car has a windage tray - their jacks would also not fit right and they really did not want to risk f'ing anything up, so basically they checked brakes, lights, weight stickers etc. in fairness they were pretty thorough and careful about everything they did. An hour and $60 later, I was in a nearby autoplan shop buying insurance. I installed a tubi system ( found on ebay for 1,000.00 ) and installed it perfectly. I plan to perform the full 30 K service this winter, pulling the engine out of the car, replacing all hardware hoses , repaint valve covers etc - basically all of the detailed things that i know shops won't spend time doing the same as one would do on his own baby.

There is alot more to the story, and it was a fair amount of work, luck , and preserverence on my part....but I can tell you that I enjoyed this past summer hitting redline on many Canadian higways with this car - hearing one of these sob's at full song makes all the headaches and bs worthwhile ... believe me !

Good luck to anyone else out there

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode