I've had an interest in 308/328 Ferraris for many years and recently came across a decent 308 GTSi which I've put a deposit on. The 308 in question is a bit rough around the edges, and has an asking price of 28K which reflects the cars shortcomings. Here are my thoughts on the car so far. If you could give me your thoughts on the car and whether the price is fair considering the condition. Also, please let me know where I can get a PPI done. I'm leaning towards Daytona as the owner posts here fairly frequently and seems to do great and thorough work.
- The sub frame looks to be clean of rust. I did notice a little surface rust near the springs in the engine compartment, but nothing that caused to much concern.
- The engine has had a lot of care lavished on it. Pictures of the engine in 2006 when the last appraisal was done show a very tired looking engine. A major service in 2011 at Grant Turismo in Alliston replaced the belt, rebuilt the water pump, replaced most of the hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and painted the valve covers and intake
- The car has had a respray at some point which presents fairly well. If you get right up close there are definitely things to complain about. The respray was done the lazy way with the mirrors and most other trim being left on the car. Therefore the paint edges are rough in spots as they meet the trim. There is also a spot on the passenger door where a large section (4 sq in or so) has de-laminated.
- The body overall looks to be in good shape. The door gaps appear slightly larger than one would expect with both the driver and passenger door appearing about 0.5 cm ajar. I assume this can be adjusted. If someone can comment on this I'd appreciate it. The lower valance looks like it has ad a run-in with a rock or some debris on the road and is cracked. A hasty fix has been done as you can see from the overspray on the faux license plate. The rubber bumper is chewed up on the passenger side. I'd love to switch to a lower profile type of bumper if such a thing is available.
- The cabin is in decent shape. All of the switchgear is present and in worn but decent shape. The HVAC controls are all functional with the exception of the AC. Apparently the compressor has been pulled from the car but is available to reinstall. I suspect that I would need to replace all hoses and receiver drier at a minimum before reinstalling the compressor and recharging the system. If anyone has experience the with AC in a system that has been refreshed I'd live the hear about it. The seats are worn but do not have any large cracks or rips in the leather. The dash is in excellent shape with no warping or cracking. There is an ancient Alpine cassette stereo that needs to be replaced. There is surface rust on the arms of the pedal cluster (according to the wife who notices things like that
). The headlight switch only raises the passenger side light. The turn signal does not self cancel, is this normal? And the windows go up and down verrrry slowly. I've read that this is common so I'll be servicing the regulators soon.
- The targa top was in good shape. The seals are a little chewed up in spots but are apparently still serviceable.
- The clutch engagement was very solid and the gear changes were precise on up-shift and down-shift. The engine revved freely and sounded absolutely fantastic which I think shouldn't be a surprise to me or anyone else. It defnitely sounds sexier that the flat 6 in my other toy. The Italians have the lock on sex appeal whereas the Germans have the lock on precision and great beer
. The steering was quite sloppy at the center and the brakes were a little soft. I've read that dead-on-center is one way to describe a 308's steering so I'd like to know whether this is normal. As for the brakes I think new fluid and a flush would tighten things up nicely.
- The car has approximately 96,000 KM on it and has receipts for parts and service dating back to the mid 2000s including a major service in 2011. It definitely doesn't have the full service history which is a concern when trying to resell.
Well, that's my impression of the car. Have a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Is it a good buy, or am I asking for trouble.