Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Canada: Alberta (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/canada-alberta/)
-   -   WInter Tires California (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/canada-alberta/27810-winter-tires-california.html)

jtk 02-18-2014 07:38 PM

WInter Tires California

New to Ferrari life Forum. Thinking of getting winter tires for my Cali. Live in Okotoks just south of Calgary and would like to drive in the shoulder seasons as well as when the weather breaks through the winter months. Suggestion of Pirelli Sottozero on my current 20" rims…. Any thoughts or words of advice?

Dom3210 02-18-2014 07:59 PM

Love it!! winter driving would be a blast. What about Blizzacks

jtk 02-18-2014 08:36 PM

I hope so, Dom3210. Drove it on summer tires this past weekend in changeable road conditions. Was not too bad but certainly not confidence inspiring going through a couple of inches of snow. Bit of tail wag here and there. Official site recommends the Pirellis. Looked at X-ice and Blizzaks. Seems like Pirelli's compare very well to these 2 except for tread wear.

il Capolino 02-18-2014 10:52 PM

jtk, you are a hero to use your Ferrari also in winter conditions!:thumbsup:

When life is all over you will effectively have lived longer than many because you will have had more hours out of your Ferraris than many!

Try and get a smaller diameter rim so you can get a higher tyre wall. This and a narrower tyre will provide more fun in the snow.

il Capolino 02-19-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtk (Post 365298)
I hope so, Dom3210. Drove it on summer tires this past weekend in changeable road conditions. Was not too bad but certainly not confidence inspiring going through a couple of inches of snow. Bit of tail wag here and there. Official site recommends the Pirellis. Looked at X-ice and Blizzaks. Seems like Pirelli's compare very well to these 2 except for tread wear.

Nokian Hakkapelitta are the best, preferably spiked. You can import them from Northern Europe. In Switzerland spiked tyres are not allowed but I intend to get a set of spiked Hakkapelitta for my 308 for next season to keep up at a garage in the high mountains.

jtk 02-19-2014 06:34 PM

Hi Capo
I've used Nokian H on a previous car a few years ago and loved them. However, spiked not allowed in Alberta either… I appreciate the advice about the rim/tire diam/width… this will definitely make it more drivable…
As for the winter driving, I've had more than a few shakes of the head from people wondering if my sanity has escaped me. However, it is such an amazing car, it makes me want to drive it every day that I can. So I want to do my best to make it safe and roadworthy in winter conditions as well.

il Capolino 02-20-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtk (Post 366266)
Hi Capo
I've used Nokian H on a previous car a few years ago and loved them. However, spiked not allowed in Alberta either… I appreciate the advice about the rim/tire diam/width… this will definitely make it more drivable…
As for the winter driving, I've had more than a few shakes of the head from people wondering if my sanity has escaped me. However, it is such an amazing car, it makes me want to drive it every day that I can. So I want to do my best to make it safe and roadworthy in winter conditions as well.

Way to go!

Do a hot water spray underneath the car when it's been running in salt slush. Preferably, also lift it, remove the belly panels and hot water clean.

Dom3210 02-21-2014 08:09 PM

Capo how did you get tires here from Europe?

JTK Head shakes just jealousy! Nothing like a sunny winter drive!

il Capolino 02-22-2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom3210 (Post 368017)
Capo how did you get tires here from Europe?

JTK Head shakes just jealousy! Nothing like a sunny winter drive!

I live in Europe.:thumbsup:

My suggestion is to go to your tyre dealer and have him contact Nokian in Finland directly and suit you up.

jtk 03-08-2014 07:49 AM

Hi Dom3210. KalTire in North America carries Nokians… Great winter tire

Taz355 12-21-2014 04:33 PM

We use spikes in gp. I would have thought kal and fountain would not install them if they were illegal. Maybe calgary is illegal?